About this project
November 15: YOU DID IT. The crew at Rattlebox Games is humbled and grateful for the generous support of our backers on this, our first game. We thank you for the trust you've put in us to deliver a great game, and we're excited to start on the next phase of the endeavor. CROMLECH! - Rob, Brendan, Angela, and Marty
Introducing Cromlech, the dice and card game where magical Druids wage war using the very elements themselves. In the game, players draft and build stone circles from cards which provide elemental dice used to attack and defend. Cromlech blends resource drafting with tactical dice rolling and a light fantasy theme.
- 64 mini cards: 32 Trilithon, 32 Sarsen,
- 48 bridge-size cards: 30 Lintels, 16 Druids, 2 Reference cards
- 16 Custom dice
- 28 gems: 12 Wound, 12 Defense, 4 Heal
- 1 Rulebook, 1 Game Box (8.5 x 5.25 x 1.5 inches)
- Plus stretch goals (we hope)!
Reviews and Press
Here are some reviews and press about the game
"Cromlech Review" by Alex James, Indie Tabletop
"Cromlech utilizes the card drafting and dice battling mechanics very well, which add a lot of variety, strategy, and replayability.... I am excited to watch the game continue to develop because the theme and game mechanics are so well done that there is potential for a very exciting game." Read the full review here.
"Board Know More: Cromlech" by Mike and David, Board Know More
David says: "The re rolling and attacking using dice reminds me of King of Tokyo. With the lintels giving you additional dice powers like the power ups you can buy in the game. It’s more strategic than King of Tokyo though and feels a bit like Dice Masters in the way you have to pick your dice to play with. I really enjoyed our games and would like to play a few more times to improve my strategy. I can’t wait to see what the final game looks like."
Mike says: "It certainly plays well we had some very close games. Something that shows the mark of a well-balanced game. I really like the Celtic theme and the fine balance of luck and strategy. It has been a pleasure to play and we can’t wait to see how the final product will turn out."
Read the full review here.
"Cromlech: Game Review" by The Bearded Meeple
The Bearded Meeple says, "I enjoyed it. I thought it was a nice little spin on a dice game. I hope you get the chance to check it out." Watch the full review below.
Find out a bit more about the production of the game and listen to these broadcasters as they talk about the game.
We did an interview with the Super Board Brothers for their podcast. (Spoiler alert: They like the game. On Twitter, Scott Moore recently posted "It really is a fantastic game!")
Listen to the interview here. or listen to the full podcast here.
We also talked to The Board Game Show creator Scott Bogen.
Listen to the full interview here.
NVS Gameplays included our game in their "Here's the Kicker" episode this week. Check out what he has to say:
In Cromlech, you build a stone circle (cards) that provides your Druid access to magical elements (dice) which you roll to attack and defend your circle. Each Druid is aligned with two of the four elements, and some elements are better for attack while others help you defend and build. It’s a game of choices and luck.
- Download the Fully formatted rules (PDF).
- Try it out: Print-and-Play WITH PROOF OF CONCEPT ART here. (This is NOT the backer-level high quality print and play. This file is intended to give you a sense of how the game plays only.)
- See the FAQ for further discussion.
COMING SOON - How-to-Play video (this is a curated tour of the rules)
Gameplay video (this is a whole game played on camera)
What Cromlech does differently
- Individualized play space - Your circle is built over two “years,” using a drafting process that allows you to customize for a particular strategy, or in response to your opponents’ choices. This continues as you add to your circle in the third "year".
- Tactical Dice Choices - Some dice are more effective against particular opposing druids, or to accomplish specific tasks (Fire dice, for instance, are more aggressive, while Water dice are defensive). You will need to choose carefully each time you roll.
- Maximizing Damage - When you damage to your opponents, you need to decide which resource to take--often it’s a choice between maximizing your points and reducing their ability to attack.
- Flexible gameplay - Cromlech includes several variants for experienced players, which increase (or decrease) the difficulty of the game and allow for team play. While we plan to release these as a downloadable PDF to begin with, we may include them as part of the rules, should our kickstarter be successful enough.
Being a new game design company, we want to make sure Cromlech is player-approved and ready for your table. We started with playtests at Rattlebox Games central, then moved on to blind playtests in which the play-testers received the rules and the game and played it without our instruction.
Next, we released our print-and-play “Proof of Concept” edition, which uses the basic rules and lets anyone play the game right now.
Since then, we've continued with regular playtests of the game, both 'curated' and 'blind,' and we’ve used playtester feedback to hone the rules and tweak gameplay so that it’s the dice battle game we’ve been dying to bring you.
Cromlech takes place in the fantasy Kingdom of Draig, where Dragon knights dominate the sky and magic turns the tide of war. Each player represents a cabal of druids fighting on behalf of one faction in the Kingdom. Starting on October 23rd, backers will get to vote on which four factions will be represented in the game.
If the game funds with no stretch goals met, these factions will be represented with brief descriptions in the rulebook and distinct backgrounds on the druid cards. If we have the opportunity to reach further than our original goal, we've got some goals in mind that will introduce more diverse gameplay for the factions.
We welcome your input about these factions and your ideas for the powers they might have and ideas about how they might work. (Of course, we have ideas of our own as well, but we look forward to hearing yours!)
- This game is great! Check out the rules and gameplay videos to see what we mean. Cromlech is a blast.
- We can’t wait to work with you. We’re committed to a transparent, open project that answers your questions and delivers on time. We’ll work our magic to try and make this the best Kickstarter project you’ve backed.
- Kickstarter discount. We’re offering the game at a discount below our MSRP, plus we will cover some or all of the shipping costs (see Shipping for details).
- Community input. Starting in week two of the campaign, backers begin voting on which factions to include in the game. This could mean not only updated art, but tactical differences and even a fifth faction. Who will stand at the center of the stone circles? You tell us!
- Get yours first: This game will be delivered to our Kickstarter backers before it is available to the public. One exception: retailers who back us at the retail level will receive their copies in the same wave of shipping as other backers, so some friendly local game stores might have it a few days before some backers do.
- We can’t do it without you. We’ve invested significant time, energy, and resources into developing this game. But the realities of manufacturing are that without you, we won’t be able to bring it into the world.
Reward Levels and Add-ons
$1+ Together, we shall prevail!
Thanks for your support of Cromlech! We will include you in our post-campaign thank-you video and in the thank-you roster on our website.
$5 Magic at Home
Receive a high-resolution digital PDF print-and-play copy of CROMLECH, so you can make your own. Includes all art from the Kickstarter version and templates for dice stickers. (Includes “Together, we shall prevail” reward.) Digital delivery.
$27 Part of the Circle
Get the game at 10% off our MSRP. (Includes “Together, we shall prevail” reward.) Free shipping in the US. See Shipping section below for costs elsewhere.
$42 Eager Druid (30 available)
Get one of our Limited Edition High-Quality Prototypes of Cromlech right after the campaign ends, then the final game as well. (Includes “Part of the Circle” and “Together we shall prevail” rewards.) Free shipping in the US. See Shipping section below for costs elsewhere.
$99 The Cabal
Get four copies of the game at an even greater discount. (Includes “Together, we shall prevail” reward.) Free shipping to one location in the US. See Shipping section below for costs elsewhere.
$199 Crumblech (5 available)
$199 Elder Mage (6 available)
Become one of the druids in the game. Our artist will work with you to put your face on one of our druids which will be included in the final game. Includes one 8x10 print of the final art. (Includes “Part of the Circle” and “Together, we shall prevail” rewards.) Free shipping in the US. See Shipping section below for costs elsewhere. (NOTE: As of 10/23, we are locking this level at 6 backers, and will not be able to offer any more of these rewards.)
- $5 Signature plate - A Cromlech sticker, signed by all three designers. Ideal for the inside of your box, or your locker, or your bedroom ceiling.
- $8 Extra dice - Add an extra set of our 16 custom dice to your game. This can make the game go faster, allow you to play two 2-player games at once, or trick out your PNP copy of the game. (PNP backers, see SHIPPING below for details.)
- $15 Art Print - Receive a signed 8x10 print of any piece of game art. After the campaign ends, we will contact you to find out which art you are interested in.
- $25 Double Rocks - Add additional copies of Cromlech to your order. Add $25 to your pledge for each. Must be shipped as a single package to one address.
- Retailer Discount - We love local game stores, and we’d like yours to be part of this campaign. To back at the retail level, email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All Backers - We pledge to maintain thorough and transparent communications with you throughout this campaign. Our backers will get the game before it goes on sale anywhere else.
First Fifty - The first fifty backers of the project will gain a special spot in our hearts and a special thank you on the Rattlebox Games website.
Notes about Rewards
Eager Druid Level: If you just can’t wait for the game to get here, this level is for you. In preparing this game for publication, we prepared 50 high quality prototypes to promote the game and to sell at conventions. We’re offering most of our remaining stock of these to backers at close to cost. If you back at this level, we will mail you the limited edition prototype as soon as the campaign ends. (NOTE: This prototype does not include any stretch goals.) Then, when we fulfill the game, you will get the final copy as well.
Cabal Level: Though the default level for the Cabal Tier is $99 for four copies, we’re happy to work with backers to minimize shipping costs through bulk purchases. Additional copies to be included in a single package can be added for $25 each. To learn more, email us directly at email@example.com.
Crumblech: Our lead designer Rob Huber, professional baker, will work with a local bakery to create a set of cookie Stones, Lintels, and Druids so you can play a game or two of Cromlech in which you get to eat the stones you capture. These will be delivered along with your Cromlech game.
We have planned for a few select stretch goals focused on two avenues:
Community goals are shaped around you, our backers. The more of you there are, the more help we’ll have getting the word out, and the more extras we can add.
Upgrade goals are tied specifically to economies of scale. As we raise more funds, we can afford to do a bigger print run, triggering bulk discounts that allow us to upgrade the components without increasing our manufacturing costs. We hope to do all these goals, but to do them originally would mean setting a much higher funding goal, and our top priority is to get the game into your hands. But if it’s got more flashy components, all the better.
We are a boutique game design collective near Chicago, Illinois in the United States. We've sourced a flexible production path that could change depending on the level of funding we achieve. If the game funds but remains at a relatively small print run, we will fulfill it ourselves from Rattlebox Games headquarters outside Chicago. We have a local shipping partner lined up to help make the process go smoothly. With a small print run, our per-unit cost is higher than we’d like, but we’re willing to make the game at this price point because we LOVE Cromlech, and we want it in your hands. As a new publisher, we also recognize that our first effort might be a “proof of concept” that we can make great things, so we’re keeping our initial goal modest.
For a slightly bigger print run, we’ve also arranged with the local shipper to provide fulfillment services, so success won’t mean being hampered by our production line. As our print run grows (through bigger success here), economies of scale will allow us to upgrade components. These upgrades will be listed in the Upgrade Goals section of this page once we make our initial funding goal. The more games we make, the more options we have. We’ve given ourselves lots of room in the schedule to allow for the most lengthy production queues among our quotes.
International Backers - We're working with fulfillment services in Canada, the EU, and Australia to eliminate customs costs on your end by shipping the packages to your country and having them shipped to you from inside your country. While we have a higher default rate to the rest of the world, if we have backers from other places, we will do our best to find a solution to avoid extra charges for you as well.
All Backers - We have included approximately $6.00 of shipping costs in all reward levels that receive the game. This means:
- U.S. backers get free shipping.
- Canadian backers ship for $6 (customs-friendly!)
- EU backers ship for $10 (customs-friendly!)
- AU/NZ backers ship for $15 (customs-friendly!)
- Other international backers ship for $18
We plan to use fulfillment services in Canada, EU, and AU/NZ to keep customs fees to a minimum.
Extra Dice Add-on: Shipping note for PNP backersIf you backed at the PNP level and want to add on extra dice, great! The shipping costs vary from location to location. If you're in the U.S., shipping is still "free" (built into the cost). If you're elsewhere, send us a message and we'll figure out your rate.
Rattlebox Games is a small game design company founded just outside Chicago, Illinois, in the U.S. The founders - Angela Caggiano, Rob Huber, Marty McGowan, and Brendan Riley have among them decades of gaming experience, and bring a wealth of professional experience and training from many fields to the table. But what we share most passionately is our love of games and desire to participate in this amazing hobby more fully.
We’ve spent countless hours preparing Cromlech for you -- honing the game, tweaking the rules, and lots of playtesting. We’ve spent almost as much time preparing this campaign: we’ve calculated the numbers, built in safety margins, and planned for problems.
Now we ask for your help. We’d love to bring Cromlech to you and to the world. Summon your magic, companions! The sun rises....
Risks and challenges
As a new company, we're certain to encounter problems we haven't anticipated. But we've spent a significant amount of time researching, planning, and making room for contingencies in order to prepare for whatever problems we might encounter. (We're especially thankful to the kickstarter board game community that has mapped out so many of these potential pitfalls already.)
The biggest potential pitfalls are:
Production delays -- no matter what level of funding we achieve, some parts of our games will be made overseas. Custom dice are only available (at a reasonable cost) from international manufacturers. We've built a generous timeline in order to insure we have enough time to manufacture and deliver the project, but there are pitfalls aplenty.
Art delays - in anticipation of our goals being met, our artists have done some of the prep work for the expanded art stretch goals. But they still will need to produce some finished work for the game. We've finished as much as possible before launching this campaign, and she has blocked out a reasonable timeline to finish the work within our window, but this does have the potential for delay.
Unforeseen challenges - We're a tight group, flexible and eager to engage with whatever problems we encounter. While we can't say what these will be, we can guarantee we will tackle them with vigor and forthrightness.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)