For backers only. If you're a backer of this project, please log in to read this post.
A new CloudFTP Firmware V12 Beta is posted at: http://cloudftp.freeforums.org/cloudftp-firmware-v12-beta-with-ptp-support-now-available-t118.html
This is the 2nd firmware update released since the launch of CloudFTP. Some of you may know that V11 Beta was only released to the CloudFTP Discussion Forum (http://forum.cloudftp.com).
Now that V11 Beta is stable, we are happy to release V12 Beta to all Kickstarter backers.
There are lots of new goodies in V11 and V12 so do check them out!
What's new in Firmware V12 Beta
- Beta Support for PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol)
- Built-in installer for customized apps
- CloudFTP auto shutdown if it is not connected to any client for a specified amount of time (5/15/30/60/120 mins)
- User can toggle between ad-hoc mode and infrastructure mode by tapping the power button once when CloudFTP is scanning for wireless router during startup (when LCD is showing "Scanning…"
- Ability to create ad-hoc network without password
- Ability to join existing networks with hidden SSID
- When connected to existing networks in infrastructure mode, CloudFTP will constantly monitor and display connection quality symbol on the LCD screen
What's new in Firmware V11 Beta
- Samba/SMB/CIFS server (allow CloudFTP to be mounted as a drive on Mac/PC)
- UPnP/DLNA server (allow CloudFTP to be connected to various media players and TV)
- Support for usb hub (up to 8 devices and 16 partitions)
- USB device connection diagnostics tool (Go to "http:// Address>/usb_diag.html" to launch tool and send us a screenshot of the diagnostic message)
- File/folder listing by alphabetical, case type order
- Safe unload/eject of USB device without the need to restart/shutdown CloudFTP
- More reliable device shutdown
- When battery is almost depleted, CloudFTP will display "Low Battery" and auto shutdown if there is no user intervention.
- Add iPhone charging mode. When CloudFTP detects that it is connected to an iPhone, it will power down almost all components (including WiFi) and function as a high efficiency battery charger for the iPhone.
- CloudFTP will ping for new client every 60 seconds
- User can switch from infrastructure mode to ad-hoc mode by tapping the power button once when CloudFTP is scanning for wireless router during startup (when LCD is showing "Scanning…")
- CloudFTP LCD will display network signal strength and interference noise when obtaining IP address from wireless router in infrastructure mode
- Allow user to enter network diagnostic mode when CloudFTP displays "IP not found"
- CloudFTP will constantly monitor and display connection quality symbol in infrastructure mode
- CloudFTP will now properly reboot when network settings are changed
- Support infrastructure network SSID length to 16 chars and password up to 63 chars
- Revert to user defined ad-hoc network settings instead of default settings if CloudFTP fails to join existing infrastructure network
- User confirmation required for "Clear Network Settings", "Stop Server Safely", "Shutdown", "Reboot" and "Unload USB"
- MAC address display in web app settings page
Here's a nice video review of the CloudFTP by one of our backers (Thanks Jason D. O'Grady of ZDNet).
The original article/video can be found here: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/video-review-cloudftp-is-a-surrogate-usb-port-for-your-idevice/12498
Although I know Jason, I have no idea he backed my project so this is a pleasant surprise.
Also special thanks to another backer (and another Jason), Jason Stubbs who helped set up a support discussion forum at http://cloudftp.freeforums.org/
We will still continue to answer questions on Kickstarter and provide support over at http://www.hypershop.com but it's really more efficient to do it over a discussion forum.
I know a lot of you are still eagerly awaiting for your CloudFTPs to arrive. Please be patient, we are shipping them out as fast as we can. Overseas packages will take longer to arrive since they have to travel the distance and clear customs.
Thanks and regards,