Closet Monsters- Illustrated Storybook
What if we were surrounded by monsters, but could not see them? Apparently all tall tales that children talk about are true.
UPDATED JAN 1st 2013- See below for new rewards!
New reward added Jan 1st 2013!
- KID ARTBOOK ASHCAN EDITION- A $40 special reward level has been added. A super special Kid Ashcan Edition is full of kid drawings depicting those fun creatures & monsters we all love dearly. 4"x6", color cover, and black & white interiors will be a delight to flip through. BONUS FOR THOSE WHOM HAVE PLEDGED ABOVE $40 ALL READY, YOU'LL AUTOMATICALLY GET THIS LITTLE JEM! To see some of the kid drawings and what the Ashcan will look like, please go to the 'Updated' section.
New Stretch reward added Jan 1st 2013!
- Limited Edition Signature Plate- Exclusive to Kickstarter- We need to breach $7000 pledging in order to receive this reward. No extra costs involved other than to gain more support for the final goal. Everyone whom has pledged for a printed book, you'll receive a Limited Edition Signature Plate! Signed, numbered, and containing a new piece of artwork. Once again this is an exclusive bonus for Kickstarter supporters. More information in the 'Update' section
New Stretch reward added Dec 31th 2012!
- PRINTS exclusive to Kickstarter after breaching $5000 pledging- For all current pledges of $19 and up you'll receive a lovely art print from the book with no extra costs involved unless you are international... then the dreaded extra shipping cost are involved. All we need to do is go beyond the $5k mark and many will be rewarded. If you have pledged all ready, thank you! Please let your friends know there is still time to help make this book a reality. If you have not pledged, now will be a great time to jump in! More information in the 'Update' section.
New reward added Dec 20th 2012!
- TAD STUDENTS- For all TAD students, a $23 special reward level of has been added. You get a printed book, signed, and also receive an extend PDF. The ONLY catch is that you need to verify that you are enrolled & studying at The Art Department (TAD).
New rewards added Dec 13th 2012!
As we grow closer to the pledge goal, the amount of incentives will increase. If you have ideas and requests for swag items that you'd like to possess, please don't hesitate to write them in the 'Comments' section! A few items available today:
- HANDMADE PRINTS!- A new $85 reward level has been added for an exclusive and limited of 10 quality handmade prints. They are really cool, but don't take my word for it. This pledge will include a quick monsters doodle in the book, signed, AND the extend digital PDF. Check out the 'Updates' section for details of the prints and examples.
- TWO BOOKS for less!- The $45 reward is for ordering two(2) signed copies of the book at a discount and save on shipping in the process for USA orders.
Children have a special gift to see things we cannot see. And what they occasionally see are monsters, but apparently we are surrounded by them…
Closet Monsters is an illustrated storybook about a recent college graduate named Rufus whom ventures into the world and accidentally discovers there are plenty of mysterious monsters that surrounds us on a daily bases. And here you thought that all bus drivers and postal workers were just grumpy. Nope. Monsters in disguise. In fact! Since there are so many monsters, Rufus decides to document them all in a 'tell all' cautionary tales field guide. A practical guide for all curious children and even brave parents whom dare to seek them.
The First Edition!
- Limited to 1000 copies
- 8" x 10" format
- Hardcover(case-bound) matte lamination
- Full color on matte paper
- Spot gloss on front and back covers
- 42 pages
- Available this July 2013 just in time for San Diego Comic Con
The primary goal is to craft a quirky and funny book that goes beyond the classic illustrated storybook format. Its a mixture of all this similar to Tim Burton, Edward Gorey, and Charles Addams. Currently Closet Monsters is a work in progress. All the technical and creative barriers have been overcome. This book has been lurking in my head for years and finally believe 'now' is the time to create it with your help. The challenge now is to enter into full production to add enough content to complete a great story experience.
Here are a few preview pages from the book!
Your funding will allow me the time to finish this lavishly illustrated story in its full glory and to see a finished high quality printed book. I want to be proud of this book and want you to be as well.
$9,500 is the minimum amount I will need to complete the adventure. Money raised beyond that goal will be re-invested into possibly expanding the book, improve production of the printed book, and anything else that is aiming to supply the greatest experience it can be.
Join the Adventure!
Your support makes this project possible. Please join me at the following sites:
- Join the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/Jason.Felix.Art
- Follow my progress at: http://monstergalleria.blogspot.com/
- Check out my website: http://jasonfelix.com/
Please help promote Closet Monsters by posting this project link to your Facebook or other social media.
Below are SAMPLE PIECES OF ORIGINAL ARTWORK mentioned above in the 'Pledge donation section' which includes Graphite art, Pen&Ink art, and a Traditional Mix Media Painting.
* And Below here are a few Monster Development pages to show off some of the brainstorming ideas....
More more thing... WHO is JASON FELIX?
Brief bio: Originally from Wisconsin, Jason was raised in a sheltered environment all most completely void of other creative artistic minds. The only outlet for inspiration was role playing games, comics, and video games which Jason played avidly. After graduating from high school, he landed a freelance job creating vampire illustrations for White Wolf Games which lead to a fledgling artistic career in editorial print industry. Years progressed and after a lot of soul searching Jason realized that his dream is to craft art for the film and video game industry. Shortly after he uprooted himself and relocated to San Francisco in which his dreams became a reality after many years of hard work.
Jason has worked with such companies as Electronic Arts, Wizards of the Coast, Arkane Studios, Blur Studios, Random House, Blizzard, Lucas LTD, and many other studios.
To date, here are some of the projects that Jason has worked on which include: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Dead Space IP, Starcraft IP, Magic The Gathering, Prince of Persia IP, and Star Wars IP.
______________________________________________________________ADDITIONAL CREDITS- Video filmed and edited by Misdirection Films. For more information, visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/agltbialik
Risks and challenges
Closet Monsters will be completed and done by 2013. No exceptions. FYI, I have 15+ years self publishing my own books & projects. In other words I know the hurdles, able to overcome any obstacles, and have the production experience to make this happen.
For Closet Monsters, the only hurdle facing this book is finding a reliable printer that is able to hit their deadlines. I usually buffer this by having the book completed 1-2 months before being sent to the printer. Which means that you'll have the PDF version to read by June 2013. IF printing delays do occur, at least you will have something to occupy your time with until the magical post-office delivers your hand wrapped book.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)