Schlock Mercenary:The Board Game is based on the popular web comic by Howard Tayler. A fast shooter board game with funtastic art.
Schlock Mercenary:The Board Game
# of Players: 2+ (Scenario Driven, 5 Players Supported with current Scenarios)
Play Time: Scenario Specific (30 - 120 Minutes)
Artist: Howard Tayler
Publisher: Living Worlds Games, LLC.
Schlock Mercenary:The Board Game is a multi-player tactical shooter played on a grid based modular map set in the popular Schlock Mercenary epic science fiction webcomic created by Howard Tayler. Players take on the roles of Tagon Toughs and a variety of other characters while working to achieve scenario specific goals. Howard has been working on Schlock Mercenary for over a decade developing an excellent storyline and world while Kevin has been developing the rule set for the board game for several years.
In the video, you will see the prototype artwork that we have been using during the game's development. Howard and his team will be producing the game with all original artwork. The game itself will be professionally produced by Ludo Fact in Germany and will be available prior to GenCon to KickStarter supporters.
Schlock Mercenary:The Board Game is a large undertaking and includes over 250 tokens, 36 floor tiles, 10 character sheets, full color rule/scenario book and dice. It will includes roughly a hundred pieces of original artwork including top down floor tiles, plasma cannons, Scanners, turrets, Teraport Cages and more. The game will come full to the brim with components and scenarios with more being released over the next few years.
By clicking on this Link, you can preview the very basic Learning rules that includes your standard actions and is the game that Howard played at GenCon 2011. It includes only the rules needed to learn how to start and does not include full Teraport rules, Power Ups, Ranks/Titles and other special actions. All supporters will be given access to a PDF that includes these rules plus artwork to print out the Learning games include characters and floor tiles. The rulebook is currently a work in progress and will be updated as production comes closer.
I'm very excited to bring you this game and I look forward to providing as much information as possible in the coming weeks. We'll be at BoardGameGeek Con in Mid-November with copies of the game for playtesting for those interested. You can also stop by our table and view 1955:The War of Espionage, APE Games' Rolling Freight, Kill The Overlord and a host of other future releases.
Box Size: 11" x 8.5" x 2.5"
Character Sheets: 10
Large Floor Tiles: 9 (Double Sided, 6" x 6")
Connecting Floor Tiles: 9 (Double Sided, 1.5" x 3.0")
Modification Floor Tiles: 18 (Double Sided, 1.5" x 1.5")
Tokens (All Double Sided):
- Power Ups: 45
- Characters and Actions: 90
- Titles and Objectives: 45
- Health / Shield / Status / Other: 72
Dice: 10 (5 in each of 2 colors)
Cast of Characters:
- Kevin w/ Ennesby
- Partnership Collective Drones
We are talking about a very large project. At bare minimum, for a full production run and keeping costs down to our supporters and future fans, we need to reach $25,000 in pledges. This will ensure that the game is published to a high quality. Our pledge levels include shipping to your door in the US with additional charges for international shipping (More on a follow up Post).
Our promotional items are described here. Each copy of the game, as listed under the pledge level to the right, includes the following non-exclusive promotional items:
- Tagon Dice: 5 custom dice that includes Tagon's logo in place of the 6.
- Extra Character Sheet + Token: Andy, our multilimbed friend. He has a lot of actions. This is an advanced copy of the character that will be included in a future release, but you get to play with him early.
- Name in the Rule Book: Your name, in the rulebook, visible and readable for all to know you are a fan of the webcomic, the board game or both.
- Updated: 1 Tagon Patch
- Updated ($30,000 Overfunding) An additional promotional Large Floor Tile (6" x 6", double sided) that will be part of the 2013 Convention Give away promotions.
- Updated ($30,000 Overfunding) An additional Connecting Floor Tile (1.5" x 3.0") featuring a secret room onboard the ship where you can pick up extra Power Ups.
- Updated ($36,862 Overfunding) A Schlock Mercenary Die / Tile bag.
- Updated ($40,000 Overfunding) An Extra Scenario
- Updated ($45,000 Overfunding) A Second set of Extra Dice with Partnership Logo.
- Updated ($50,000 Overfunding) An Alternate Plasma Gun Flying Schlock Character Sheet
- Updated ($56,174 Overfunding) A Blank Character Sheet for Funsies
- Updated ($64,000 Overfunding) Dice Cup + Punchboard
Other promotional items will be listed in the OverFunding / Maxims Section:
OverFunding / Maxims:
Anything above $25,000 will enable us to provide you with addition bonuses. As each tier is hit, we'll unveil the next Maxim that provides additional bonuses to all of our supporters. Taking a page from Howard's excellent writing and creative genius, our current Maxim is as follows:
Maxim 14 ($73,103)
"Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
Sunday is still coming and with it, some extra goodies.
We have another final push. It is something we discussed prior to starting the Schlock Mercenary campaign of awesomeness.
- Wood Tokens: I want to provide wooden discs for the characters in addition to the normal chipboard tokens. I want every game that goes to a KickStarter supporter to have hefty wooden character discs with great illustrations on the top. Wood and custom stickers so that you'll absolutely be able to raise up above the board requires more than the chipboard ones do.
Every character (and drone) disc will be 1" in diameter, 1/8" thick of real wood. The fully colored stickers (front and back) will be professionally printed of course. These will be a nice addition to your game.
- Oh, and we'll provide some additional chipboard tokens featuring a number of characters with their heads in the Nanny Jars. Sure to be a hit when push comes to shove comes to knife comes to pistol comes to plasma cannon comes to crippling injury with horrific pain.
Thank you again to all of the Schlock Mercenary fans, Living Worlds Games supporters and people who love good light tactical shooters. We couldn't have done it without you.
Contact Email: email@example.com
Updated 11/8/11: Included Links to the Webcomic.
Updated 11/9/11: Included additional Reward (Tagon Patch)
Updated 11/13/11: Added Nobody But Us Chickens to Designer's credits.
Updated 11/13/11: Added email to bottom of page.
Updated 11/21/11: Added the next Overfunding Level ($36,892)
Updated 12/11/11: Added the next Overfunding Level ($40,000)
Updated 12/14/11: Added the $45k Overfunding and the $50k Overfunding Level
Updated 12/15/11: Added the $56,174 Overfunding goal
Updated 12/16/11: Added the $64,000 Overfunding goal
Updated 12/17/11: Added the $73,103 Overfunding goal
If only KickStarter was setup to add it after, it would make life simple. Please add international shipping directly to your pledge and all will work out just fine.