Modern Pirate Quarterly! Book + Magazine = New Concept!
Modern Pirate Quarterly! Book + Magazine = New Concept!
ADD & ADHD friendly format. Printed in dyslexic friendly font. And it's engaging, fun reading material!
ADD & ADHD friendly format. Printed in dyslexic friendly font. And it's engaging, fun reading material! Read more
About this project
Okay. Silly video aside.
What Makes This "Bookazine" ADD Friendly?
1. The articles, short stories, and quizzes are all under a page long. When I was a kid, I got all kinds of magazines. If the articles were over a page long, it seen for some reason as too long and I wouldn't read them.
2. Each article is written as though it is by a different person. Have you ever sat and eaten almost all of a box of mixed chocolates? I know I have! You can do this because each piece is different and you never tire of the taste. The same principle has been applied to Modern Pirate Quarterly!
3. Modern Pirate Quarterly is meant to be fun, light-hearted and entertaining! Most kid friendly magazines are designed to be informative first, and entertaining second. Modern Pirate Quarterly is written to be entertaining first and foremost. It would be a good stepping stone to help ADD and ADHD kids start seeing reading as fun and something they can enjoy. You know how the News is usually presented as "sound bites" to be more digestible and interesting for adults? Same principle has been applied to Modern Pirate Quarterly!
4. The positive messages and meanings are cleverly written. Kids are extremely bright, especially the ADD & ADHD varieties. For instance, Peaches the Silverware Wench includes messages of "what you think your biggest weakness is might actually be your biggest strength." It also challenges the typical boy + girl happy ending, as in, they end up in love and married. Spoiler alert! The ending IS happy, but it is not traditional.
I Need More Information About This "Bookazine."
A bookazine is a great new concept which I thought up! It is a total mash-up of the best parts of books and the best parts of magazines. The target is to create something that is entertaining to read and is geared toward shorter attention spans. Parents can read several articles a night to their kids, or older kids can read the bookazine like a book + magazine. In every Modern Pirate Quarterly you will find feature, news, and entertainment articles, and quizzes, plus adverts (which I've invented, of course! Badman's Beard Wash, anyone?) and the continuing saga "The Tale of Peaches the Silverware Wench & Weird Beard the Pirate", which is a chapter book and will be included chapter by chapter. Remember, sound bites people! Each edition of Modern Pirate Quarterly will have the next chapter included so that the story progresses, but in more manageable chunks.
I have shared my bookazine idea and writing with many teacher friends and they want a reading tool like this in the classroom because kids attention spans are getting shorter and think it would keep kids interested and reading.
What is your vision?
Ultimately, I'd love to turn Modern Pirate Quarterly into just that--a quarterly publication. But I need some feedback, some publicity, and some funds to really get the ball rolling and make it a reality.
Updated Information: The bookazine will be inspired by pirates, but will not be in pirate-talk. It will be written in much the same tone at this Kickstarter campaign and terms such as "Yaar, avast, and ye be a land lubber" will be used sparingly and on an as needed basis. :) Please see update #3 for a greater explanation!
What age group is this idea for?
I am gearing this publication toward the 6-11 year old range, though anyone is welcome to read it!
How will the loot from Kickstarter be used? What's the plan, lady?
Step One: Get funded! Woot! Fingers crossed!
Step Two: Illustrations. I'm a strong-to-fairly-strong-very-funny-author. But I'm not an artist. I have several illustrators I'd love to work with and the amount I need to cover this cost is $12k to illustrate and layout 30 pages. I'm going to include extra articles in this first edition that will be just for Kickstarter contributors. The go to market bookazine will have 26 pages verses your special, extended edition of pure pirate awesomeness!
Step Three: Printing. I'm going to work with a local printing house to get the first edition of Modern Pirate Quarterly to everyone who wants one and invests accordingly with the tiers. I'd like to go this route for Kickstarter to ensure a great final quality of bookazine for you all. For the first run of bookazines, I've been quoted $2.5k. This is for a glossy cover and a 8 x 12 book size. The cost per unit will be about $15 (and I say "about" as the price per unit decreases as the order increases).
I will also create the digital files for those of you who invested and want a downloadable version of M.P.Q.
Step Four: Delivery! Woot! Enjoy your bookazine (or e-bookazine) which you helped bring to life! If you invested more, woot! Enjoy seeing your name in print!
Step Five: Upload to createspace and offer the final result on Amazon. M.P.Q. will be listed for around $20. Do note that your Kickstarter bookazine will have more articles and be of higher quality. Plus, as an initial investor, you will have the pure pirate joy of being one of the first to get a glowing copy of M.P.Q.! For now, I'm thinking that using createspace will allow for easier distribution and for me to have less inventory here at my house!
Step Six: Start work on creating the second Modern Pirate Quarterly! Yes! Pirate Magic Success!
You invest $25 and....
$15 goes to cover the cost of printing your special, first edition, high quality, just for Kickstarter bookazine. This bookazine will include extra, ultra awesome articles that will not be included elsewhere at any other time! They are for Kickstarter investors only and will not be used in future editions Modern Pirate Quarterly!
$5 goes toward creating the illustrations
$5 goes toward covering the costs of creating the next edition of M.P.Q. (Yes, my dad is a banker, so I got to learn all about cash-flow from an early age. It isn't good to have sales and no capital to fulfill orders!) Just know that your contribution is going toward building a M.P.Q. empire!
Why you get more by contributing now:
1. You will get an extended bookazine. It will have special, just for Kickstarter articles that will never again be used, seen, or put in another bookazine.
2. You will be included in getting regular updates on how this project is progressing.
3. The print quality of what you receive will be superior.
4. Your involvement is critical. Never underestimate the value of knowing that you are helping to fund an author's dream and are bringing something that is just an idea into reality. Without you and Kickstarter, this will not happen. (Insert Pac-Man dying sound, here.)
How did you determine your funding amount?
It was pretty simple. 12k for illustrations. 2.5k for printing. 6k to help support and fund the second edition of M.P.Q. I also factored in the transaction fees taken when a campaign is successful because I'm an optimist like that! Shipping is not included in my Kickstarter funding target. Please keep this in mind and include $5 for U.S. shipping and $8 for shipping outside the contiguous U.S.
How did you decide upon the rewards?
I want to make this campaign absolutely centered around testing out the bookazine idea and helping people get copies if they believe in the idea. I'd also like to give people more as they invest more, so I thought I'd include my other book (normal, non-bookazine type). I would also like to have an innovative way to give thanks for those of you who may be very generous. So I thought, "Maybe they'd like their generosity to be immortalized in print? Like say, their name? Or have an article written in their honor?" Think about it....you could be part of a publishing legend!
Who is Jessica Noelle Glitterpony?
I'm a total writing nut! I've been enjoying the good sport of creative writing since I was a kid. When I was younger and in college I actually wanted to be an English teacher, but as luck would have it, I now find myself with a background in business. No harm, no foul--understanding the many facets of business is great and I've continued writing just for the fun of it. Color me psyched out of my mind because I actually just published my first children's book, "The Warkak and Snozzle", which is available on Amazon.
Last but not least, why pirates?
...because they are awesome! Obviously. :)
Thank you! Thank you! ...& one more time for the cheap seats: Thank you!! Seriously, did I say Thank you? :)
Risks and challenges
As with anything creative, the process is not linear. Things may take a little longer to actualize. I hope that everyone will be patient if the project takes a little more time to ensure the final results are amazing in every way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)