New! Stretch Goals
- £15,750 - 10 Extra Basic Ships
10 extra ships: 5 human, 5 aralien inspired by ships from Starfighter: Quadrant Wars and the Original Starfighter from 2005. (The ships currently in the game are from Starfighter: Disputed Galaxy + a few new ones).
These ships will all be available for level 1 players so will give you more choice when starting out and will provide more variety in weaker enemies. These will be a fairly easy addition and can be in the game at the time of launch without delaying development of the rest of the game.
- £17,000 - Space station interior
When docking with a space station, rather than just a flat menu, you will be able to walk about on the space station and chat with friends. This will be fairly simple and if you just want to get to the shops or your cargo bay then it wont slow you down too much. But if you want to relax, look out the window and chat to some friends without the threat of being attacked, then it will provide an opportunity to do that.
This would be added either during beta testing, or after launch of the main game.
- £18,500 - Multiplayer "Gwent" style collectible card game
This would be a purely optional minigame that you could play against other players while at a space station that would be similar in style to the game "Gwent" which is played in the "Witcher 3: Wild Hunt".
I like the idea of adding a minigame like this, it would be fun and easy for me to make and would allow a change of pace for players in game if they want it
It would be SF:I themed and would be added either during beta testing, or after launch of the main game.
A space based MMORPG with an emphasis on top down, skill based combat. It is the long awaited sequel to “Starfighter: Disputed Galaxy”, a game that was popular on Kongregate.com about 10 years ago and had a more passionate fan base than any game I have made before or since!
Game Play overview
- ‘Top down’ controls to allow focus on exciting ‘dogfight’ style space combat without constantly being disorientated Start out as a human cadet or Aralien conscript and work your way up the ranks by completing missions and engaging in combat
- Start out as a human cadet or Aralien conscript and work your way up the ranks by completing missions and engaging in combat
- Buy weapons from a huge choice that expands as you level up and discover more of the galaxy. Get weapons according to your play style, ship, nearby enemies and the location of the galaxy you are in + craft your own
- Complete missions, explore, mine asteroids for ores, take part in multiplayer battles, or just hang out and chat with friends in game.
- Team up with other players to form organisations and build up a reputation in game
- Explore the galaxy to see its many sights: Planets, Stars, Black Holes, Pulsars, ancient alien relics + more surprises
- "Small fish in big sea". To start with at least.... You are not the "chosen one", you have no special advantages: Any other ships whether AI or player can be a challenge, especially if they are a higher level than you. You will have to develop combat skills or stay close to home where other ships can help you out.
Single player meets Multiplayer = Freedom
Inspired more by single player games like skyrim and the witcher than traditional MMOs, the gameplay will be based around your personal journey, except there will be other players around. So if you need some help or want to play coop, then they can join you, but if you would rather be a lone wolf: that’s ok too. Or if you would rather spend your time battling against other players, then you have that option.
There will also be missions that conflict with enemy objectives, for example, you could be posted on guard duty, when other enemy players have been ordered to destroy all ships in that sector
Form your own group or join someone else’s. Your organisation will have its own custom colour and logo, and depending on how powerful the organisation is, might have an effect on the Drones and AI ships in the area, as well as what weapons/equipment is sold at your home station. Choose which ideology to align your organisation with – your organisation doesn’t have to be restricted to a particular race!
Organisation leaders will get special titles depending on how powerful the organisation is, and occasionally unique ships, worthy of a powerful leader.
Galaxy to Explore
Search through multiple star systems to find: planets, stars, black holes, worm holes, pulsars + other anomalies. Visit ancient relics and areas of the galaxy that defy our current understanding of the universe.
Hunt down rare minerals to craft weapons unavailable in the usual shops
Vast array of imaginative weapons & ship enhancements = Varied Tactics
Buy weapons according to your play style, ship, nearby enemies and where you are in the galaxy. All ships are solar powered and the closer you are to a star, the more energy you will get. So for example, say you are in a slow moving ship, operating near to a star and fighting against an enemy who favours fast moving light armoured ships, you might want to use something like a tractor beam, to stop enemy ships and pull them towards you, before blasting them with a close range unguided weapon.
Or maybe you are attacking a defence turret at the edge of a star system, you could use a stealth system to sneak up on it before hitting it with some high powered, but slow moving bombs that would be useless against fast movers
Or maybe there is a slow moving yet heavily armoured ship, but you are in a fast mover; you could keep them at distance with some long range high impact guided torpedoes. Or you could fly in close, hit them with something that will temporarily disable their ship and attempt to out manoeuvre them These are just a few examples of tactics you could use, but what tactics you use will be up to you to decide.
You can upgrade your ship with the following
- Primary Weapon - An unguided, energy based weapon, often rapid fire. The current choices include: Pulse Laser, Scatter Cannon (a shotgun like weapon), vulcan cannon, high velocity pulse laser (long range sniper like weapon) + more
- Standard Secondary Weapons: A wide range of weapons, including guided torpedos, locking on laser beams with various effects, cannons that fire powerful balls of plasma
- Utility/Support Secondary Weapons: Things like a shield bubble to temporarily protect you from incoming fire, a healing beam to help recharge your friends' shields, an energy extraction beam, to drain your enemies battery while recharging your own, cloaking/stealth systems, tractor beams, a mining laser for harvesting ores from asteroids...
- Proximity Secondary Weapons: These weapons usually fire in all directions and damage/affect ships that are very close
- Mines: Dropped out the back of the ship, these high explosive devices are usually unguided, but sometimes have some help e.g. some generate a gravity field to draw enemies towards them, and some teleport into the path of an enemy
- Large Weapons: Single use weapons of mass destruction. Perhaps not cost effective, but they do get the job done! Includes weapons that make mini black holes and a powerful blast of plasma energy destroying all in the way to name a couple
- Engines: Upgrade your engine to have improved speed, acceleration or manuverability
- Shields: Buy a shield that charges up quicker, protects against certain weapons more effectively e.g. lasers. Or even one that reflects weapons back at the attacker!
- Augmentations: The basic one is a quick speed booster, but if you prefer there are other options like an energy to shield converter, short range teleporter and others.
See the column on the right to see what I am offering.
My current plan is that the game will be subscription based, but at a low rate of maybe £15-£20 per year. Some rewards include a years subscription or lifetime, however I cannot be 100% that I will end up using this model. If I go down a different route, then I will find some other way of rewarding those who would have had a "lifetime" subscription.
"Lifetime" also refers to the lifetime of the game, which I hope will be many years
Anyone who pledges £15 and claims a reward can get a unique backer only skin that you will be able to toggle in game....
Anyone who pledges £25 or above will also get access to these skins....
If you pledge £50 or over then you can alpha test the game, contribute ideas and help shape the final game to a degree. I will also send you a sign A1 sized poster with all the playable ships on.
If you pledge over £75 then you can name a planet in the game for all to see. Name it after your pet or significant other - just as long as its not offensive and sounds like it could be a planet name.
If you pledge over £150. Then we will send you a high quality 3D printed statuette of either a human starfighter or aralien fighter
I require the funding in order to finish the game without having to do other work to pay the bills. This means I will be able to finish the game much quicker than I otherwise would. I would also like to get more music made for the soundtrack and some more 3D modelling done for in game items. I have been making this game for many years at cost to myself, and what has happened more than once is that technology has moved on by the time that I am getting anywhere. So I am very keen to finally be able to finish this labour of love!
Risks and challenges
If this campaign is succesful, it will enable me to spend all my working time on the game, and I should be able to get it live mid 2018.
I am an experienced game developer, and I can't foresee significant risks. I've already overcome the biggest challenges developing the game. Now its just case of adding content.
Having said that, I cannot 100% promise that there won't be any hiccups - if for some reason I cannot work, then this may cause delays, and in that case I will just have to keep you up to date and ask for your patience!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)