Flying Pig Apparel Launch
Flying Pig Apparel Launch
Being active is a healthy choice, no matter what your size. We make intelligently designed active wear for every body.
Being active is a healthy choice, no matter what your size. We make intelligently designed active wear for every body. Read more
Who is Flying Pig Apparel?
We are four women who decided one day that the status quo is not going to fly with us. It's about time that we stop giving our clothing dollars to companies who grudgingly scale up their "regular" clothing to fit larger sizes (poorly), pass off awkward designs and horrible prints on us, and make assumptions about what we can and can't do. We have varying body types and varying levels of activities, but the one thing we have in common is that like many women, what's on offer doesn't work for us.
So what's with the name? Isn't that, like, insulting?
Nope. You can check out our blog for our full statement on our name, but here's the short version... "Everybody" knows that fat women don't exercise. "Everybody" knows that fat women won't buy active wear even if it's easily available to them. "Everybody" knows that our comany will succeed when pigs fly. And "Everybody" is wrong. We're not calling ourselves or our clientele pigs. We're saying that the proverbial pigs are flying, so now what?
So what's the project?
We'll be purchasing the materials and tools to make roughly 250 active wear garments to order, and paying our seamstress to work on this project exclusively for a month. We'll also be building a retail website to take orders.
Ok, but aren't there companies out there that make that stuff already?
Yes and no. Yes, there are companies out there making "plus sized" exercise gear. BUT most have a size chart that stops at a 60" hip measurement. The one company that we were able to find that offers sizes larger than that charges about $80 for a pair of yoga-type pants. That's not an amount that's reasonable for a lot of people, especially in this economy.
We're different in several important ways. We have no upper size limit on our products. Some of the money from Kickstarter will pay for the pattern drafting software and wide format printer so that we can offer our active wear in any size. Our prices will be more affordable for the average customer, with retail prices in the $25-50 per item range. And we'll be making our garments right here in Oregon, not sending them out to a factory overseas.
So what do you need the money for?
- Pattern drafting software and a wide format printer so that we can offer any of our items in any size, no limits.
- A professional grade serger so that we can reliably produce professionally made garments. Our current serger is almost 25 years old and was never meant to be used in a production setting. It lacks the features we need for efficient production and will be prone to frequent repair.
- Our initial wholesale purchase of fabric, elastic, and thread. Buying in bulk at wholesale prices allows us to keep the projected retail price in a reasonable range.
- A fair wage for our seamstress. One person will be doing all of our initial production work, and it takes skill and craftsmanship to sew a garment from start to finish, especially in large quantities. She'll be setting aside all of her other work for at least one month, and we think it's important to ensure that she'll still earn about the same amount of money. Going forward, we have a fair wage built into the retail price of the clothing.
- An efficient, ergonomic work space. The right tools, from tables at the right height to quality cutting tools, will help increase efficiency. Our seamstress is currently set up for custom work, not production work, and the right tools can cut production time in half, easily.
What makes your stuff any better than what's already available?
Well, we believe that the simple fact that it's designed, tested, and made by women of size for women of size that it's already better. All those quirky things that you notice about clothes after you start wearing them, we've taken notice and made adjustments. We also believe in making quality clothing that lasts, not replacing your wardrobe once a year.
All of our items in this initial line are made out of 100% cotton knit. We're doing our best to find a supplier of American made fabric... because when we say Made in USA, we mean it!
You've only got 4 items right now. Any plans to expand?
Absolutely! In the very near future we'd like to expand our active wear line, and also offer some basic wardrobe pieces that we think should be available all the time, like non-elastic waistband slacks with pockets and basic white and black polos and button down shirts... the kinds of things that are frequently required in employer dress codes. After that, the sky is the limit.
Have any of you ever manufactured clothes before?
Another yes and no answer to this one. Rene has done custom sewing both for herself and private clients. Sometimes that means a single garment made to order, and sometimes that means hemming 80 dresses for a college choir. She's done a lot of work to break down the construction process so that it will run smoothly and efficiently in a production setting. Also, because we will have no upper size limit, our production will be a mix of making many identical items at the same time and making garments to order. That's why Rene will be focusing exclusively on this project for at least a month, if not longer. And if we receive more orders than she can handle on her own, the production process is set up so that Bobby, Audre, and Barb can step in and help at any time, with any stage of production. They all have the basic skills to help out, and will spend several hours getting acquainted with the tools and serger once they arrive.
International Backers -
Please keep in mind that there are additional shipping costs for sending things overseas. We're perfectly willing to ship anywhere in the world, but please add a little extra to your pledge to help offset the cost of shipping. Also please be aware that your rewards will take longer to arrive. We'll email international backers with shipping estimates when they become available.
- (30 days)