Helloooooooooo Shantaerians and Tinkerbackers!
How would you guys like to see some in-progress game footage? Nah, we didn't think so...
Psych! Today we’ve got some “off-the-glass” footage of our speed stage, also known as the the “Sequins of Unfortunate Events” chapter of the game. This level is making great headway!
And remember our airship concepts from before? Now they’re modeled out, in-game, and looking dashing! Shantae’s able to leap from carpet to carpet, take on the Ammo Baron’s airships, and disable them from the inside! Check it out!
Have you guys been watching our funding total?! We've nearly hit THE NEXT STRETCH GOAL!! O.O This means we’re almost certain to add a playable Sky, Bolo, and Rottytops to the game, each with its own style of play!
If you were with us on day one, you’ll remember that our base proposal spanned 3 Chapters, an Intro & Outro, and 1 playable feisty Half-Genie. However with all of your amazing help we hit several Stretch Goals which brought the number of Chapters to 5 and added 3 alternate Shantae characters and a playable Risky. Adding in the exclusive backer content, and now HERO MODE, that's 10 crazy costumes and characters to play! To say the game has doubled in scope is an understatement!
However...with an increased scope comes an increase in development time. We’re going to need to adjust our schedule to allow for all of the added content. We’ll do our very best to keep you up to date with the most realistic Beta and Ship dates possible, but first we need to determine the impact this change in game scope will have on the project. So please accept our apologies in advance – an October 2014 launch is very unlikely at this point. But yep, this is the uncertain process of making games. Dates must slip when quality and scope cannot. We’re all working together to build the biggest, best game possible – and it just got even bigger.
But let’s talk about these new heroes! Our current thinking is that by beating the game once as Shantae, the other characters will become available from a Character Select Menu. These characters are:
1. Shantae -Normal Costume: Belly Dance to transform into creatures with new abilities.
2. Shantae - Beach Day Costume: greatly reduced defense, summer props & sunbathing aid.
3. Shantae - Ninja Costume: additional speed, agility, and magic at the cost of defense.
4. Shantae - Patricia Wagon Costume: ranged Pellet Gun attacks and increased armor (Heart Discs restore health)
5. Shantae - Blue Costume: plays the same, looks totally swank.
6. Risky Boots - Normal Costume: Blueprints let her Slice, grapple, fire a pistol or cannon, and command Tinkerbats.
7. Risky Boots - Classic Costume: plays the same, looks more game boy color...ish
8. Sky - Boost using birds, collect and hatch eggs to gain new powers!
9. Bolo - Charge and release steel ball ‘n chain attacks. Grapple, smash, and take punches like a champ!
10. Rottytops - Gameplay based on (ick) feeding, (yuck) self-dismemberment, and maybe a little cosplay!
Remember that each of these characters requires thousands of hand-drawn frames! And each character will have his/her own storyline and reason for partaking in this grand adventure. Can this get any more nuts!?
Yes it can!
Now that our revamped WayForward.com is up and running, we’re ready to do some voting! Creature Transformations are the big ticket item here, but we’re going to do a trial run using a minor enemy first, just to work any kinks out. If you’ve played previous Shantae games you might recognize this archer. She lurks around forests, cliff sides, and other tall advantageous perches to take cheap shots at our hero. But WHAT SHOULD SHE WEAR? We’re pretty into all of these designs, so let’s test our voting process right now! Vote on outfit A, B, or C and we’ll animate it and put ‘er in game. Deadline is in one week, ending 8/19/14 at 16:05 PDT.
Remember, to vote you must be a Contributor level backer ($60 Reward Tier) or higher. If you are, simply go to WayForward.com and login to your account. Select WayForums and click on the Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Kickstarter Contributer+ Board.
Once inside find the "Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Vote #1: Archer" topic and you will have 3 options to choose from. Click the box next to your favorite and that's it! Don't worry if you make a mistake or change your mind, you can alter your choice up until the vote is closed (there is a 5 minute cool down between submitting your selection).