Guardian's Gambit is a casual 2-player card combat game you can play without having to sit at a table. Quick rounds and a portable size makes this the perfect game to play while waiting in line, sitting in the back seat on a long car ride, or any time you would rather play games than stare at your phone.
Each round players are competing to eliminate their opponent's guardians through a mix of deduction, strategy, memory, and a little bit of luck.
Guardian's Gambit is a game of simple mechanics and very deep strategy of how, when and what special guardians to use to gain the upper hand and win the round.
- Each player takes one of the sets of cards (red vs. blue) and builds a team with 2x Swordsman, 2x Shieldbearer, and 2x special guardians of their choice.
- Arrange your hand as you wish. Once play begins, cards can’t change location (unless a special guardian allows).
- Select a guardian to make a Standard Attack or use a special ability.
- When attacking, point at the target card using your guardian card (unless the card states otherwise).
- If an attack is successful, the target is destroyed and goes into its player’s graveyard.
- If an attack is blocked, your guardian returns to your hand to it's original location.
- If a guardian is destroyed, move it into your graveyard.
- When attacked you can block with a Shieldbearer, use a special guardian's ability, or let your guardian be destroyed.
- To block, reveal your Shieldbearer and place it in front of the card you are protecting. That shield now can be destroyed by a Standard attack.
Play continues until a player defeated by running out of guardians or being unable to make a valid move at the start of their turn. The defeated player creates a new team with the option of switching out their special guardians, while the winning player keeps his existing hand and then a new round begins. If the round ends in a stalemate, both players build new teams from scratch.
The first player to win 5 rounds wins the game
Kickstarter is the most direct way of making Guardian's Gambit a reality. With the game design, artwork and rules complete, we are only seeking funding for the production run. Kickstarter enables the quickest and most direct path to getting Guardian's Gambit in your hands!
Pete Raber - A creative director who has worked on all sorts of projects ranging from children's books to mobile apps. Responsible for 100% of all the graphics in this game and on this page.
Michael Flahive - A project manager who enjoys all sorts of games, both tabletop and digital. Michael beats Pete 70% of the time when playing Guardian's Gambit.
Risks and challenges
The game has been play tested and design is complete, therefore production is simple since it is a relatively straightforward product to make. We're already working with a number of fulfillment companies to make sure that no matter how many people pledge, everyone will get Guardian’s Gambit quickly after the campaign ends. Having a project manager on board means that this this will not be a campaign where you spend the next year getting tons of emails about production updates and delays. If you back this project, we want to be sure you can start playing as soon as possible. This is why we're keeping it as simple as possible: support our project and in return we'll send you Guardian’s Gambit.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)