About this project
Sea Level is an artisan bakery and specialty coffee company one block from the beach in Cannon Beach, OR. We take pride in baking from scratch daily using whole, fresh ingredients and old-world techniques. We are fanatical about every detail from seed to cup with our coffee. We prepare coffee sourced ethically from distinct regions that have been roasted in small batches to bring out the best nuances of each coffee. We source locally whenever possible and value direct trade relationships.
Sea Level is a place where you’ll be treated like family while enjoying quality baked goods and exceptional coffee in the salt air of Cannon Beach.
We need your help
We need to raise $10,000 in order to purchase our final baking and coffee equipment. Approximately one-third of the funding will go towards a slim pastry case which will enable us to improve the flow of service. We also intend to implement an honor coffee bar for folks looking for our house coffee without the line. Other exciting additions include a pourover coffee bar (arguably the simplest and cleanest way to draw out a coffee’s best qualities).
We can’t tell you how encouraging it’s been having so many folks come by the bakery as we’ve been working to get the space ready and let us know how excited you are about us opening soon. So, here’s your chance to help us open the doors!! This is our final funding push. Help us cross the finish line!
We (Liz and Jason) are the co owners of Sea Level Bakery + Coffee. Jason was fortunate to have the opportunity to visit his grandparents in France as a child. It quickly became an amazing routine to pick up fresh baguettes daily for the family meals.
Several years down the road, I (Liz) met Jason in France and we fell in love with each other and the dream of serving people quality baked goods and amazing coffee.
When we learned that Waves of Grain (former bakery in our location) was relocating to Portland, we jumped at the opportunity. We are passionate about bread and coffee, but we equally love Cannon Beach. This is truly a star aligning moment in our lives.
There have been so many people that have come alongside us to get us this far. We wouldn't be this close to launching without each and every one of you. Your encouragement and wisdom has spurred us on through the difficult times. We would especially like to thank our entire family who have been there through thick and thin. From the amazing bathroom countertop and sink, to the wood countertops, we are very thankful for all you've done for us. Although there are so many others who have supported us through this process, we would like to call out a few extra special people:
- Cosmin: Simply put, Sea Level would not exist without you
- Tyler Cunningham: Amazing work on the video (you should get some better actors next time!)
- Sara Walston: Thanks for being an auntie to our girls
- Meyer's and Ward's: Can't believe how much you've shared with us
- Dave: Do you typically get "down and dirty" in a crawl space for friends of your girlfriend?
- Bill Leong: Amazing generosity!
- John Newman and Scott Neuman: Your industry wisdom is priceless
- Beautiful Eulogy: Thanks for letting us use the your song "Cello from Portland"
- John from Cannon Beach Vacation Rentals: We are very grateful for your contribution of the Sandcastle Condo
- Sleepy Monk: The coffee wood boxes are awesome
- Cannon Beach Vacation Rentals: Thank for contributing the great Cannon Beach blankets
- Sea Level Bakery + Coffee looking to open in March // Cannon Beach Gazette // February 28, 2014
- Francophiles on the Beach // Portland Monthly Magazine's Eat Beat // March 12, 2014
Risks and challenges
We are on a very tight timeline to open Sea Level Bakery + Coffee by mid-March. Any delays in ordering and/or installing equipment are obstacles we'll have to overcome with creativity and flexibility. We are building out the space with this specific equipment in mind. Stumptown Coffee Roasters will be overseeing the installation of our coffee equipment. Stumptown has been providing support and expertise throughout the build out process.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
YES! We are very in-tune with the gluten-free (GF) "world" because we have close family members with intolerances and special dietary restrictions. We have a goal to produce several tantalizing GF products to meet this need and are honing a blend of alternative flours.
Support this project
- (14 days)