Neon Sanctum - Roleplaying with cards in a cyberpunk world
Neon Sanctum - Roleplaying with cards in a cyberpunk world
A card game & RPG hybrid that is perfect for board gamers looking to try RPGs. Set in a unique post-apocalyptic, cyberpunk world
A card game & RPG hybrid that is perfect for board gamers looking to try RPGs. Set in a unique post-apocalyptic, cyberpunk world Read more
About this project
Unfortunately Neon Sanctum has failed to reach it's funding goal, but we are heartened by the huge number of backers and the large amount we managed to raise. We will take some time, ask our backers for feedback and look to come back stronger. The project has proven to us that we have a fantastic game, that people love.
To our backers, we will be in touch asking for feedback and investigating ways in which we can involve you with the ongoing evolution of Neon Sanctum.
Please stay in touch!
Neon Sanctum is a card based RPG set in a unique world where the post apocalypse and cyberpunk collide. This world takes inspiration from films such as Blade Runner, Dredd and Ghost in the Shell as well as games such as videogames such as Shadowrun Returns and The Last of Us.
Cards are used to represent all the things players would expect in a traditional roleplaying game (RPG). A character's skills, their cybernetic implants, their equipment and even the enemies they meet are all brought to life with beautiful cards.
The game uses a fixed deck distribution model where the players receive all the cards they need to play the game. There is no random element, but the game is modular so new cards can be released as fixed sets and slot into your game easily.
The game has been available in playtest form since July of 2014 and we know that over 500 people have downloaded and tried the game. We have also visited conventions and received feedback from all over the world.
- Simple Rules - The basic mechanic in the game is just 2D10 vs a target number set by the DM. Playing cards (or not) adds a modifier to these rolls.
- Flexible - The simple mechanics are flexible, allowing players to try outrageous moves and the DM to let them do it. Having a deck of NPC's at hand enables the DM to respond quickly when players take the story somewhere unexpected.
- Resource Management - An important mechanic of the game involves the player placing skill cards into cooldown at certain times. This adds an extra level of strategy as characters have to choose if it's the best time to use a card.
- Accessible - The use of cards makes the game really easy to grasp for new players. Anyone can look at a set of cards and understand them just bythe artwork and names.
- Depth - While the game is easy to learn, veteran players can dig deeper crafting devastating combos.
- Beautiful - Putting the artwork on the cards means that the world of Neon Sanctum is at your fingertips, not stuck in a book.
- Get it all - The core box set provides players with all the cards they need. The game does not use any kind of randomised boosters, the core box, player, item and NPC decks all contain a fixed set of cards.
- Melvin Smiff - "[...] a fast paced, fun tactical card based RPG that offers players and GM’s a ton of versatility in playstyle and world lore. My favorite Card Based RPG to date"
- Geekly Inc - "The mechanics are fresh, exciting, and intuitive.[...] Neon Sanctum stands out as excellent."
- RPGAlchemy - "Overall, I found the game to be unique and enjoyable. The game mechanics are crunchy enough to satisfy the mechanical gamer in me, but light enough to where it didn’t take too long for me to figure out the basic concepts for the rule set. "
- Mad Adventurers - "Is it fun? Yes, for definite. Five thumbs up across the table. [...] It’s quick to play, simple to learn, and once you’ve gotten the hang of it, it is easy to get a fast pick-up game going at work, at home or between campaigns. It’s definitely been a hit with my group."
The fallout from the war between humans and the A.I. was devastating, but from the rubble rose the slums and skyscrapers of Neon City. A metropolitan marvel that echoes the human cities of old, while surrounded by the beasts, mutants and bandits of the overgrown wastes. Without a government to control the people, corporations stepped in to claim power. In Neon City you either sign a corporate contract, join a gang, or you're on your own.
In Neon Sanctum you take on the role of a citizen of this reset world. Hackers control the city around them like wizards, taking control of drones, alarms and CCTV cameras; adventurers probe the ruins of the old world for high-tech artefacts, while CEOs commanding armies of corporate slaves wield real power and decide the fate of millions.
Neon Sanctum provides DMs with the choice of setting the game in a cyberpunk metropolis or danger infested wastelands. Both areas offer exciting yet different themes and gaming styles. Will you run your players through the mutant and bandit-infested old world ruins, or deal with the much more deadly intrigue offered by corporate politics?
In Neon Sanctum characters are represented by a hand of cards rather than a character sheet. Cards are used to represent everything in the game; race, skills, items and monsters each have their own cards, with beautiful art and easy to understand rules.
When resolving actions the system uses a simple 2D10 plus modifier system. The cards the player decides to play influence the modifiers on the dice rolls. For a more in depth look at the game check out the videos below.
How to play tutorial videos:
Combat tutorial videos:
Combat gameplay demo (some profanity):
As part of the kickstarter we are offering free shipping to both the UK and US. Unfortunately due to the weight and size of the game we are unable to provide free worldwide shipping. However, this does not mean that other nations lose out, as the same amount of money we are putting towards US and UK shipping will be deducted from ALL shipping. You will find out the cost for shipping to your individual location when you pledge. If you discover that the price for your location has not been set please get in touch and we will remedy the situation immediately.
Core box Level price examples:
- UK and US - Free
- Western EU - £3
- Rest of the world - £8
Also, the shipping will be both US and EU friendly so that our backers don't have to pay any import taxes.
We have been fortunate to work with a group of fantastically talented artists during the creation of Neon Sanctum. Each artist brought their own vision and style to the world.
Jeshields - Skill and NPC cards: The first artist to join the team, James has been working on Neon Sanctum for well over two years. He is responsible for all the skill card art and several NPCs and is a big part of the Neon Sanctum team.
Justin Wyatt - NPC, items, cybernetics and covers: Justin has really helped to set the style that Neon Sanctum uses today. His artistic influence can be seen in every corner of the Neon Sanctum world.
Oliver Harud - NPC and mutants: Oliver is a brilliant illustrator who has helped bring life to the mutants and NPCs the players face.
Qianqian Liu - NPC and setting: Qianqian has helped to define what the world of Neon Sanctum looks like. Her environments make the world of Neon Sanctum even more immersive.
Brian Patterson - NPC: A recent addition to the team, Brian is bringing his awesome style and artwork to the game.
Charlie Cox - Audio: Charlie is the huge talent behind the audio used in the kickstarter video. He runs his own label "Subsphere Records".
Adam Waite: Adam is the founder of Neon Sanctum. He has been working on the game in his spare time as a passion project for over five years. He has been playing video, board and roleplaying games for as long as he can remember.
Craig Pezet: Craig has been working with Adam on the design of Neon Sanctum since day one. A huge fan of both LARP and tabletop RPGs and a fantastic DM.
Chris Graham: The code behind the curtain for both our website and the Neon Sanctum App. We have lost count of the number of times Chris has got us out of some kind of code/IT based jam.
Amy Bourke: Amy wears many hats as part of the Neon Sanctum team. She helps to manage the project, edit the books and get word out about the game.
YOU! - Help spread the word
We really need your help to spread the word about Neon Sanctum to all the gamers out there. We have a great game, but not enough people know about it. You can do so by spreading the word via social media. Check out our various pages below:
Risks and challenges
This is our first kickstarter, but we have spent a long time developing the game and researching tabletop kickstarter campaigns to minimise the risk of the project running late.The game is almost complete with most of the art completed and the rules finalised.
Finally, the manufacturing, freight and fulfilment partners we have chosen to partner with all have lots of experience in creating and delivering great tabletop games.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (32 days)