Solofy Envy: A Solar Powered Backpack Without Compromise
Forget previous limits & power any USB device at the same rate as a wall charger (2A) via clean solar energy straight from the sun!
I wanted a lightweight Solar backpack to take with during days when I would require a recharge halfway in the day. None of what I found fully satisfied the requirements for an independent solar solution. Most backpacks were either laptop bags yet didn't even have the power to charge a smart phone, let alone a tablet or the laptop housed inside. Poor bulky design also plagued my search, these offerings utilise a single solar panel that covers just a fraction of the backpacks surface area. This is a failure in capitalising on the real-estate and potential for more power with additional solar panel installation. Most solar backpacks are heavy & expensive yet do not offer more than 4 Watts of power. Solofy Envy is affordable, lightweight yet capable of charging any USB device at the same rate as a wall charger would.
Power & Efficiency
iPad Air 2 charge time from competing solar backpacks, none of which produce as much power as Solofy Mesh One
- 600mAh (3 Watts) will take 14 hours (so two days since a typical day has 6-8 hours of sunlight)
- 900mAh (4 Watts) will take 9 hours (A day and then some)
- 1000mAh (1A) (5 Watts) will take 8 hours (A full days worth of perfect sunshine, without clouds)
- 2000mAh (2A) (10 Watts) will take just 3-4 hours of sunlight (with Solofy Envy S, using clean solar energy becomes truly viable as it is without charging compromise)
- 3000mAh (3A) (15 Watts) With Quick Charge 2.0 support a full charge of a smartphone will take just an 1 hours of sunlight (Solofy Envy L, you could actually disown wall outlets and exclusively charge your USB device via clean solar energy)
Solofy allows charges even in non-ideal conditions such as cloudy weather. Since Envy S / L is capable of producing 3 to 4 times the power required to charge an iOS device there is room for scattered sunshine and low performing circumstances without restriction.
The same revolution that took place with the advent and popularisation of mobile devices can and should take effect on personal solar power. We aspire to aid this breakthrough with beautifully designed everyday backpack offerings that merge function and provide a powerful alternative to charging our devices. Solar devices do not have to be slow & unattractive. With this limitation removed they can indeed appeal to the mass market. This is our mission, to create products that serve an important function without degrading style & design in the process.
Design update is coming on April 16th. Continued changes will be made for the duration of the Kickstarter. Please share your thoughts about the design, what would you like to see in the finalised product, is there anything you dislike? Now is the time to change what you see!
Features, Highlights and Tech Specifications
- Waterproof Solar Components
- 2A to 3A current rating (Envy S matches typical wall charging speeds while Envy L surpasses it with quick charge 2.0 support)
- 12-15 L internal capacity for all your essentials
- 4 zipper components provide 4 individual spaces for your belongings
- Keep those items safe & dry thanks to the water resistant internal lining
- Lightweight at just 990 grams, (less than 2 Pounds)
- Tough fabrics, scratch and shatter resistant solar panels
- Compatible with all USB devices from Apple, Samsung Sony, Nokia and so on.
Instead of relying on fossil fuelled power that travels hundreds of miles to get to your wall socket and then into the required devices. forgo the polluting power of the wall. Solar power is an excellent alternative to generate power, especially when it comes to low energy charging, such as mobile devices. Typically these gadgets charge via a USB port from a computer or dedicated USB wall charger. While our handhelds are power hungry, they do not require large and heavy solar equipment to keep recharged via solar power. This is why Solofy Mesh One is a viable way to keep gadgets going, a lightweight, water resistant, everyday backpack with sleek style and function. It can recharge USB devices just as quickly as any other charging solution as the limiting factors of solar power have been eliminated, speed of charge and reliability is matched to conventional charging methods such as wall powered charging.
Please support the project by sharing the info every like, share, tweet helps spread the word. Like most changes the solar revolution cannot become a reality without proper traction!
Risks and challenges
The biggest current issue is custom ordering the silicone moulded frames for the solar panels. This is an initial high cost since the moulding company requires a large minimum order quantity, but with continued sales this bulk order will clear itself up. The project has been on standby for a few months due to lack of marketing but is on track for a timely release between May and June. Manufacturing and sourcing have all been on standby awaiting the project to gain traction with orders funding the process. Please help spread the word via social media and word of mouth to see a Solar Backpack that truly enables clean personal energy!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (44 days)