As a thank you to all those who have or will support this campaign, we're going to conduct two drawings for a printed album of photos from our upcoming tour. The first drawing will be comprised of all those who pledged from the beginning of the campaign through August 31 and the second will consist of all pledgers from September 1 through the end of the campaign. See the band's Facebook pages for a video from Exene talking about this.
**********************************************************************X! Live in Latin America! 40th Anniversary Celebration Continues!
We want to release the first ever, all original X line up (Billy Zoom, DJ Bonebrake, John Doe, Exene Cervenka) LIVE X ALBUM! While there are other live recordings, this is the first and only one we are producing and releasing on our own.
Here’s the story… In November of 2011, X was fortunate to be touring Latin America as the opening band for Pearl Jam’s South America Tour. What a life-changing and mind-altering experience it was! Our first show was in Sao Paulo, Brazil. We had no idea what the crowds would think of us, and we were really surprised when we started playing that first show.
PJ’s devoted fans were so welcoming and enthusiastic! We were playing stadiums, and sometimes it felt like a club. The early punk days in Los Angeles (and really, all the scenes in the U.S.) were about intensity as much as music. No barriers between band and people in the crowd. It was wild!
And on Thanksgiving, in Mexico City, playing and singing Los Angeles, while earthquakes rattled the Foro Sol Stadium stage, it felt that same way. We had that “this is crazy, this is only going to happen once so remember it and enjoy it” feeling.
While we toured in South America, Costa Rica, and Mexico, another fortunate thing happened. Pearl Jam’s sound engineer recorded all our shows, and gave us these incredible, professional recordings to use.
But we didn’t know what to do with the recordings! We didn’t want to give them to a record label, or license the songs, we didn’t even know if we could. We were apprehensive the songs would just disappear into somebody’s pocket and never be heard from again. (We’ve had a few bad experiences…)
One day a friend suggested we release the tracks via Kickstarter. We just needed someone great and amazing to mix the songs….
We asked Rob Schnapf (Beck, Fidlar, Booker T., Elliot Smith) if he would produce, engineer and mix these for us. When he said yes, we decided to give this a go. Best case scenario!
We came up with a long list of prizes and rewards for your patronage, should you be so kind as to donate to our project. There is something for everyone! X has always been a do-it-ourselves kind of band, as you will see by our rewards. We still love the hand-made, the paste-up, and the songbooks. Plus, you will get the first ever, all original member, X! LIVE RECORDING! This is the ONLY place you can get it, as the album will be exclusive to this campaign and won't be available outside of that.
Thank you for staying with us the last 40 years! And thank you for funding our project. If we surpass our goal (which includes mixing & engineering, making & manufacturing rewards, and shipping & handling) we will use the money to keep our 2 vans running and keep ourselves touring. Maybe even get some matching outfits tailor-made…. Gotta come up with something special for the 41st year.
*****TRACKS ON THE ALBUM LIKELY WILL INCLUDE*****
Your Phone's Off The Hook
It's Who You Know
Johny Hit & Run Pauline
Once Over Twice
The World's A Mess
Because I Do
The album will also likely include additional tracks but we won't know for sure until the mixing is completed.
*****HIGHLIGHTED REWARD PACKAGES*****
You can see along the right hand side all the great reward packages we have available in detail. We wanted to highlight a few of them here as well, in order to draw your attention to the truly unique nature of this campaign. Many of these packages touch on other aspects of the band's creative lives and offer a different insight into who X really is.
- Exene Art Postcards. This is a great way to get your hands on Exene's visual art. You'll get a set of photographs of her work embodied on high quality postcards, with information about the work on the reverse side.
- John's Book Club. You get a copy of a book picked out for you by John, with a message as to why he finds the book significant, what it means to him, etc.
- Disposable Camera Tour Photos. Ever wanted to see what life is really like on tour with X, behind the scenes? Now you can. You'll get the undeveloped disposable camera full of X tour photos. Each one of these packages will be totally unique, with pictures never to be used or seen in any other context.
- Handwritten Lyric Sheets. Both John and Exene are offering this package, whereby they'll hand write the lyrics to an X song of your choice. Of course, this will also double as an artistic piece for the pledger, as the particular expression and style will be something only that band member could do.
- Guided Tour of Grammy Museum. On October 13, the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles will open an exhibition dedicated to X. Pledgers for this package will get treated to a personalized tour of the exhibition by Exene and DJ. You can ask any of those burning questions to which you've been dying to know the answer, as well as get an insight into the band and its history available nowhere else.
- X and/or John and Exene Live. Ever had a notion that you wanted to see X or John and Exene in their acoustic duo performing for you and your friends? That's now a possibility. Both of these packages require a lot of planning and discussion, so if you're interested you'll want to reach out via Kickstarter message and get the discussion rolling, but this is now possible!
These are just a few of the great packages we have available for pledgers. We encourage you to look through them in detail, ask whatever questions you may have and we'll be happy to answer them. You can send questions via Kickstarter Message if you already have a Kickstarter account or XKickstarter@gmail.com.
One final note...often times in campaigns, people wish to pledge for more than one package. Kickstarter limits you to one package per account, but if you have your eye on more than one, please contact us and we'll be happy to specify price and what you'll need to do in making your pledge.
Risks and challenges
The risks and challenges in this project are minimal. As a self sufficient band for 40 years, we're used to doing things for ourselves and all of what's required to make this project work is within our control. We have a good handle on our costs and will have no difficulty in fulfilling rewards if we hit the target goal.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)