Das Keyboard 5Q April Update - Additional Details
This is a clarification follow up of our previous update based on the questions and comments we have read on the forum and on this site. In a nutshell, backers wanted to have more detailed information so here it is.
On the manufacturing side, we addressed the issues that caused us to hold shipment. Here are the specifics:
- European keyboards required additional fixtures to align the European Keycaps during installation, without these fixtures the key switches were being damaged during assembly.
- A fix was added to the electronics to address few cases of audible buzz from the keyboard due to a defective component.
- A manufacturing process change has been made to address a palmrest silicone bubbling issue. The silicone was not properly attached to the palmrest base. So in short, we used more glue in a more uniform fashion.
If you are a backer that has already received your keyboard and experienced any of these issues please contact our helpdesk (link below).
The next batch of shipments will include the international layouts.
Upcoming firmware fixes
- White colors have a slight red tint
- Brightness control next to the media keys doesn’t work when the Q app is running
- Left pipe upper LED not setting to correct color
- Residual color transitions showing up during some effects
Upcoming firmware improvements
- Ability to select color profiles on keyboard without the Q app
- Fix for Individual RGB colors visible to some during head movement
Q Desktop app V2 update
We are finishing a complete rewrite of the Q desktop app. The Q desktop app allows the RGB setup of the physical keyboard via a resident low level service (separate software). We simplified it and made it less resource intensive. The current signal center is moving to the web (it is in the Q app in the current version). This Q desktop v2 beta will run on Windows, Mac and Linux. However, Mac and Linux version will NOT see the connected keyboard at this time (service part still under development). We will communicate its availability in the forum (link below).
Q Cloud API
We are preparing a new feature that will allows signals to use X, Y coordinates instead of just key code (e.g: 4,4 => KEY_A). This will allow display of bar graphs and geometric shapes much more easily. The API is backward compatible. This update will roll out next week.
As a reminder, the following resources are available to all backers. The forum is the best place to interact with our team.
- Das Keyboard Q Forum - Discuss software development, issues, bugs, ideas, and anything technical with other users and the Das Keyboard team.
- Das Keyboard Helpdesk - Use the Das Keyboard help desk for help on shipping and defective keyboards. Highly recommended to check the forum first.
- Downloads, docs, API and more: https://daskeyboard.github.io/
Again thank you for your patience. We are very frustrated this has taken so long and we are still at it. We want to make sure that backers know that this is the highest priority project in our company. Everyone is committed to delivering it. We are anxious to get these 5Q babies in your hands.
Daniel - Founder.