Production complete, shipping update with photos and more awards news
Hey, you awesome Unbroken backers!
Another update to keep you informed of the work on delivering the rewards for the Unbroken Kickstarter campaign. Lots of progress to show you but because of the huge unit volumes involved – everything is happening slightly slower than we anticipated. Having said that – the wheels are in motion and it’s only a matter of time before you receive the game boxes chock full of dark fantasy survival goodness! Let’s dive in.
The production of all Unbroken units is complete, and the factory is busy packaging these up and preparing the shipments that will then be directed to our distribution centers around the world. The factory has overestimated the speed with which they can do this work and it’s not moving as fast as we were told initially, but there is lots of progress to show. Check out an Unbroken box with its contents as it’s packaged up in a shipping box and loaded up to a pallet that will head to North America.
We are aiming for perfection with the packing and want to ensure not only a timely delivery to the best of our ability but to make sure that no one is missing anything from their packages. One of the Golden Bell representatives flew off to China to oversee the final stages of packing for Unbroken and ensure a timely completion of this work.
This mountain of boxes full of games is a reassuring and satisfying sight! It’s a great indication that everything is moving along as it should. I acknowledge that the somewhat slower pace is frustrating, but our top priority is avoiding errors. I sincerely appreciate everyone’s patience as this process runs its course.
You probably also noticed that all the packages are being shipped in boxes after all. Thanks to the excellent negotiations from Marc Goldner of Golden Bell Studios, we were able to expand the box upgrade to all the units shipped. We’ve heard this was a priority for backers and we made it happen. I hope this gives you the extra peace of mind that your game will arrive in great shape. Here is an unboxing video of a final production sample game:
Because of the time pressures going into the Chinese New Year the factory had to ship the Expedited Shipping copies to the US to be sent out from there by ocean freight. The shipment has arrived in US port on Feb 20 and the container was promptly held for customs inspection (just our luck). That’s where it’s sitting right now – it should be released by end of next week. As soon as it gets to the distribution center, the expedited shipping copies will go out and should reach backers no later than Mar 18. Unfortunate that the customs hold-up took place – something that’s impossible to predict, but expedited shipping folks only have a few weeks left until getting the game.
North America: Again, because of the factory’s over-estimation of their packing speed – we were not able to get the preliminary 5,000 units shipped as described in the February update. The full North American shipment preparation is being finalized and it will leave the factory next week at the latest. We will be following its ocean journey with great excitement as it should get to the US port in late March. The backers should start receiving their copies in April.
Europe: The European shipment will be prepared next and should leave China in mid-March, arriving in early April, with delivery of games to backers towards late April.
Games in Asia, South America and AUS/NZ should also be delivered towards mid-late April – we’ll provide more specific estimates in our March update as shipments are prepared and arrangements solidify.
The Chinese New Year and the associated closures certainly slowed down the progress over the past month (which we accounted for, but the impact was even more than we were told). Now that it’s done – we fully expect the pace to quicken as games get on their way to you. Thank you again for your patience as we go through the necessary steps to deliver the games. Only a short bit left.
The timelines have been a topic of conversation in the comments recently and I want to offer my sincere thanks for the show of understanding and support we have received from backers. You continue to be an amazing community.
Address Lock Deferred
Based on the timelines described above we will keep the addresses open for updates until the North American shipment arrives in port (should be late March). At that point we’ll lock things down and focus on fulfillment. If you need help updating your delivery address – please get in touch via KS message and I’ll be happy to help.
A final reminder will be issued in the March update before the addresses are locked.
More awards for Unbroken
Unbroken continues to make the “most anticipated” lists for 2019 – recently it was listed as one of the Top 19 upcoming games on the Geek & Sundry website. It’s quite an honor to be listed next to amazing games like Wingspan and Batman: Gotham City Chronicles.
Probably the most notable nomination Unbroken has received so far is being in contention for SXSW (South by Southwest) Gamer’s Voice Award in the Tabletop category. We are thrilled to be nominated and look forward to learning of the outcome in mid-March.
Rob and Jon from Golden Bell will be showcasing Unbroken at SXSW (taking place in Austin, TX, Mar 15-17) and we invite all of you to come out and meet one of the writers and the composer for Unbroken!
Stretch Goal Updates
- The Strategy Guide for Unbroken is available here. Text-only format for now – it will eventually be laid out in a more graphic style.
- Print and Play files are available through the “Digital Downloads” section of BackerKit. If you are unsure how to access your BackerKit – shoot me a message and I’ll help you.
- Updated English Print and Play is available since Jan 5.
- Spanish Print and Play / Rules are available since Feb 1.
- German Print and Play / Rules will be available Mar 15.
- Italian Print and Play / Rules will be available Mar 15.
- French Print and Play / Rules - the translation is complete, these are being laid out. Most likely late March or early April, the March update will have a specific date.
- Error Report Form. As we release the Print and Plays and we look forward to the future – we would appreciate it if you could share any errors / inconsistencies that sneak in. Whether it’s the physical game or the Print and Play – if you see something that needs to be corrected – please use the Error Report Form to report it. As we sit down to work on further developing Unbroken – we will be certain to go over all the feedback and address any concerns raised. This type of feedback is always appreciated and helps to improve Unbroken for future iterations that will enhance everyone's enjoyment of the game!
- The work on the soundtrack is coming together well. Clocking in at almost 45 minutes it will be sure to add immersion to your experience with Unbroken. The latest draft came in over the weekend and the team at Golden Bell all sat down to determine what is left. They are currently working on a recurring theme that will be what you think of when you hear the words “Unbroken”, as well as an intro/outro to each of the battle steps, as well as adding roughly 5 minutes of additional music that will tie with the written story. This last part will also include a considerable amount of additional sound design and sound effects to create a true survival experience when you listen and play the game! We expect it to be available around the same time as games are delivered to most backers. The soundtrack will be available for download through BackerKit exclusively to KS backers/those who pre-ordered a copy at first and will eventually be released on a public platform like YouTube.
- In addition the Golden Bell team will create a ~45 min video to go along with the score. This will include a narrated story (that you will also find on the cards of Unbroken) voiced by a professional voice actor, as well as implementation of awesome art to go along with the story and the score! We expect the release of this video in late Summer - we hope this will be a cool way to immerse the players in the world of Unbroken. We look forward to releasing a sample of this story video to backers as it comes together.
Calling all history buffs! Napoleon 1807
Golden Bell Studios have been a trusted partner throughout Unbroken’s journey so far, so I am excited to tell you about another game that they are working on, live on Kickstarter now. Napoleon 1807 is a sequel to the much-loved Napoleon 1806 historical wargame (rocking a solid 8.5 BGG rating).It combines an authentic approach to history with streamlined rules, resulting in a fast-paced, satisfying gameplay. If you’re into historic French battles – check out their campaign – it’s been doing very well!
Julien from Shakos (author of the Napoleon game/campaign) is a Golden Bell partner in France. He will provide help with translation and editorial for the French version of Unbroken and has also been in discussion to arrange a release of the physical version of Unbroken in several European countries. We look forward to telling you more about these plans as they come together. Julien is currently at Cannes Game Fair showcasing both Napoleon 1807 and Unbroken!
And now for something completely different
This is not an Unbroken-specific thing per se, but just something I want to share with as many people as possible. Jon Purkis (aka Actualol) creates amazingly fun and witty videos about our hobby – his latest “Not Just for Geeks Anymore” is just bursting with excitement for board games. Sincerely recommended for a quick watch to give you a smile.
Almost there! By the next update the expedited shipping folks should already have their games in hand and the rest should be well on their way to backers. We will continue to provide regular updates on the progress and answer any questions you might have here or in the main project comments section.
Thank you all for your patience and support for Unbroken. On behalf of myself and the Golden Bell Studios team – we cannot wait to get the games to you and hear what you think of surviving in the Dark!