Production nearing completion, shipping update, awards season news and strategy guide
Hey, you awesome Unbroken backers!
I hope 2019 is off to a great start for you! A brief update to keep you in the loop on our progress to getting Unbroken to you. All in all – we are largely on track for the estimates provided in the last update with no major issues to report and expect most games to be delivered in February and March.
The factory has completed producing all the components for our huge Unbroken print run. Check out some videos of the production process and the results:
Here are the mountains of printed-out cards as they looked before being cut and sorted.
The components are now being packaged into game boxes that will then make their way to you. The packaging takes time, but the first wave of games will be ready by the end of next week and will start its journey towards North America. The remaining copies will be ready to go around the end of February.
Rather than waiting for the entire order to be ready we are going to start fulfillment in the US with the first 5,000 units we have available. We are very excited to get the games to backers ASAP and so want to use this opportunity to speed things up a little bit.
For those who have paid for for expedited shipping (as described in the last update) – your game will be sent right from the factory and should arrive towards the middle of February.
The initial wave of 5,000 units should arrive in the US no later than Feb 27 and from that point it will be sent to individual backers, which should take 1-2 weeks, so those copies will make their way to backers by end of Feb-early March. Recipients of the copies from the advanced shipment will be determined randomly and notified via e-mail.
Once all the copies have been packaged up at the factory (end of February) the shipment / fulfillment will start for all backers. The freight shipments for remaining North American copies and Europe will arrive towards mid-late March. Backers in all regions (Europe, North America, South America, Asia, AUS-NZ) will get their games around the same time - in late March-early April. We will provide more specific estimates by region in the coming updates based on the shipping progress.
For our European backers – the situation with Brexit remains uncertain and we are monitoring it before committing to an exact arrangement of shipping. Our priority is to avoid any extra charges to backers based on the shifting trade laws. Worst case (if the no-agreement separation takes place in March) – we’ll split the shipments into UK and rest of Europe, covering the extra cost.
Another thing to mention here is that we’ve heard from lots of backers about their preference for a box rather than a padded envelope as packaging for the game in transit. Marc from Golden Bell has been doing all he can to figure out an arrangement that would allow affordable solution that results in all games being sent out in boxes. We’ll provide an outcome of these efforts next update. A reminder that regardless of the type of packaging we’ll end up with – any games suffering significant damage during shipping will be replaced at no expense to backers.
Address Lock Incoming!
The shipment / fulfillment portion of the project is about to get started – we will be locking all U.S. addresses on Feb 17, 2019. We will be doing batch/segment locking for other regions (with advance notification) as we get closer to the fulfillment date for these.
If you are for any reason uncertain if you have the right address on file or have moved recently – please make sure that your BackerKit survey has the correct address for you. If you need help accessing your BackerKit survey – do not hesitate to message me and I will assist.
If we do not have the right address on file for you – we will not be able to get the game to you and re-sending a game to a different address will require a repeat payment.
Unbroken in Awards Season!
With 2018 just wrapped up, Unbroken is getting some good attention during the currently active awards season!
Unbroken was named as the Best Kickstarter Game of 2018 on Kickstarter by the Kick.agency website – a truly impressive feat, given how many awesome games were on the platform last year.
Eduardo Baraf of Gaming with Edo named Unbroken the #1 Kickstarter Game he reviewed in 2018 - check out his ful video run-through here.
Unbroken is doing well in the Most Anticipated Games of 2019 poll on BGG . It is currently ranking #19 on the overall list, #9 on the Original/Innovative category, #6 among Fantasy games and #2 in the Dungeon Crawl list. If you are excited about Unbroken – please head over to the poll and vote to support it (along with any other games you’re excited about of course)! We really appreciate your participation! With only 60 votes separating us from the #1 on the Dungeon Crawl category – I think we can definitely get to that top spot! The voting deadline is Jan 27 – thank you for your support!
Unbroken is also under consideration for several other awards that I hope to be able to tell you about in the upcoming updates. Thank you for your support and excitement for the game – above all else, that’s what’s driving the immense success of Unbroken.
Strategy Guide Full Preview available (and other Stretch Goals):
- I am excited to let you know that I have completed the full version of the Unbroken Strategy Guide and you can view the entire thing through this link (in text-only format for now). I would love to hear some feedback on the guide before the Golden Bell team does the graphic layout for it. So, if you have any input – please share! I would find it especially helpful if you are familiar with the game through either Print and Play or the TableTopSimulator. The laid-out version of the Guide should be available in March.
- The Print and Play files updated with the final game assets (last balancing tweaks, new art and flavor text) has been uploaded to BackerKit – you can access it in the Digital Downloads section (you want the files labeled “Updated”). As mentioned in the last update, these have been available since Jan 5.
- The Spanish translation is in the final stages of being laid out. Kudos to Golden Bell’s Editor in Chief of their comic division Golden Liberty Comics, Michael Sacal, for his work completing it, as well as all the proofreaders who helped with it. These files will be available on BackerKit through the Digital Downloads section by Feb 1.
- The bulk of French translation will be complete by Feb 4 (a round of applause for our very own Raz for his tireless work on it). It will then enter editorial / layout – next update will provide an estimate for its availability.
- Both Italian and German translation are largely complete, with only about half of the rulebook outstanding. Once we receive the final files we’ll estimate the release timing as these will also need to be laid out before sharing with backers. Thank you for your patience as we ensure the high quality of these.
- The soundtrack looks to be coming together as something truly epic. Almost a full hour in length, it’s sure to enhance your experience with the game! (10-min preview here) Jon Meller, Golden Bell's Composer has been doing amazing work on it. Marc, Rachel, and Rob from Golden Bell have a deep personal connection to Unbroken from not only the writing and the art but now directing the music. They have been working with Jon on sound design for the final score all the way to mapping out the score as an actual adventure. Remember to read check out the Encounter cards in their original order as these are organized in a way to coincide with the musical score that is being put together!
- The How to Play video is coming up as the next deliverable to produce – first step is for me to write the script for it – we’ll aim to have this one up by the time the games make it to backers.
A glimpse into Unbroken illustration process
It was amazing to see this series of images showing the process from a draft to a finished stunning piece that Golden Bell’s Rachel Korsen went through for the “Fire Amulet” piece. Check out the full-size version on her Instagram account. Follow along as she'll be posting all the process shots of Unbroken over the coming weeks!
Almost there! By the next update (coming towards the end of February), many of you should already have your games in hand and the rest of the games will be leaving the factory. Cannot wait until all the copies have been delivered and look forward to hearing about your experience with the game!
We will continue to work on all the stretch goals as outlined above and will provide an update on our progress as we check things off there.
To wrap things up I want to offer my sincere thanks to you for being such a positive and constructive community. Lots of discussion in the comments and in vast majority of cases it is to the point, respectful and considerate with folks helping each other with information and advice. Unbroken certainly benefits from having all of you as people who made it possible.
Stay warm (if you are in a chilly place like me – had temperature dip below -30C this week) and play some awesome games!