We need you to help shape the future of neotopia, a cutting-edge virtual world for PS4 with customizable avatars, spaces and games
We need you to help shape the future of neotopia, a cutting-edge virtual world for PS4 with customizable avatars, spaces and games Read more
neotopia is a virtual world for PlayStation 4; an ever-evolving online space where you can meet, interact, play and share - a next-generation blend between the world of gaming and social media.
Free from the off, neotopia will allow you to be part of a rich and expansive social environment, brought to life with Unreal Engine 4 and the power of the PlayStation 4. You’ll create and customise an avatar - your conduit to neotopia. There will be public spaces to explore, people to meet, events to attend and activities to get involved in. You’ll also be able to purchase a range of private neotopia apartments, redecorate them, share them with your friends and rate those of others.
You are at the very heart of this new world. neotopia is built around community, and as a citizen you will have your say in how the world evolves. You don't just get to be a visitor to this world, you get to help shape it; neotopia is supported by us, but created by you.
neotopia’s vision is to bring together like-minded people who can interact, build, share and play. A world where you can make new friends and keep in touch with old ones in any setting you choose. A world with everything from idyllic beaches to mountain peaks, from Medieval castles to shining metropolis’ of the future. All of which is your playground. All of which is YOURS.
neotopia’s initial set of features will include:
Fully customisable next gen avatars
Customisable personal apartments for you and your friends to share
Public Spaces to explore and socialise in featuring regular events to attend
Voice and text chat, animations and interactions
Group and club functions as well as a calendar to help you organise events and see what’s coming up
Virtual currency (the neobit) to spend on clothes, animations, furniture and apartments
A comprehensive Kudos system allowing you to show your appreciation for other users, items and spaces
Have a voice and help shape the world! Citizens will be able to vote on upcoming features and content in world and via the internet. Secure your citizenship, get exclusive items and get voting now via the £30 pledge or earn your citizenship post-release.
A variety of games and activities for you and your friends to enjoy together
- Regularly updated with new themes and features
We have a list of twelve potential themes for launch and we would like all citizens to head over to our forums and vote for their favourites. The themes are:
Debonaire - Refined and elegant for the discerning customer
Street - Get your grime on with these urban stylings
Ninja - Don’t be heard or seen with the mysterious ninja theme
Military - This is my rifle, this is my gun and this is the military theme
Angels & Demons - Bathe in angelic radiance or unleash your inner demon
Pirate - Avast ye scurvy swabs, weigh anchor and set sail for the pirate theme
Interstellar - Step into the future with the Interstellar theme
Zombie - Because who doesn’t love a good zombie apocalypse?
Western - The rootinest tootinest theme in the West, YEEEEEHAAAAAAAW!
Steampunk /Victoriana - Bronze, waistcoats and rivets abound!
Fantasy - A magical world fraught with peril awaits you, traveler
- Otaku - Domo arigato Mr… Otaku
We need to raise our target amount to build neotopia, but even if you can’t help financially you can still help us by spreading the word to your friends and by giving us your thoughts on what you’d like to see in this brave new virtual world. You can keep up to date with us and help us spread the word by following us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+ and also by checking in on our website for regular updates. If you have any questions then please feel free to send them our way, join the conversation and let us know what you think and what you'd like to see!
Follow us, tweet at us and generally spread the word right here.
Collectively, the neotopia team has over 70 years experience in the games industry, with a good portion of that time dedicated to development of PlayStation Home titles, and other content for virtual worlds. We've assembled a team with the precise aim of creating the next step in virtual worlds, and we've got the skills and experience to make neotopia a reality.
Dave has worked in the games industry for 16 years, starting out as an artist on Micromaniacs for the original PlayStation, he became Lead Technical Artist on BC for the Xbox, before taking on his first lead Art Job on D&D Tactics for the PSP. His first significant design credit was as Lead Designer on All Zombies Must Die! (360, PS3, PC). Dave & Mark Jagger set up madmunki not long after AZMD was released and began working on Spunland, their weird & wonderful ongoing online experiment in PlayStation Home.
Ed worked on PlayStation Home for 8 years whilst at SCE. Initially working directly with the development team before joining SCEE. Ed was responsible for Home’s commercial activity and delivered partnerships with a number of companies including Red Bull, Diesel and Audi as well as working closely with the Home developers/publishers.
Prior to PlayStation Home Ed worked on a variety of community products and services for Yahoo!, Sky and Orange. He also worked at Dobedo, the world’s first graphical chat room, where he developed his interest in virtual worlds.
Nader started in the games industry in 2005, as an artist on Dungeons & Dragons Tactics for the PSP at Kuju Entertainment. After working on several projects at Kuju, Nader moved to Smartbomb Interactive, contributing to several movie adaptations as well as Snoopy Flying Ace for XBLA. In 2008, Nader became Lead Artist at Doublesix, working on South Park 'Let's go Tower Defense Play', Iron Man: Aerial Assault, Babeorella, All Zombies must Die, and Who Wants to be a Millionaire.
In 2011 Nader left Doublesix to start a new company, Pixel Hero Games, which released it's first title, an Unreal powered 3D action and adventure game called 'Spiral' on iOS last year. Pixel Hero are currently working on a new project with Games Workshop based on the best-selling 'Eisenhorn' book series.
Mark, after 5 years at art college, unexpectedly landed his 1st job as a pixel pusher developing for megadrive and PC games when his artistic talent was spotted from a mural on the wall of his dad’s video shop. These early years are where he gained his practical foundation in animation, having had many, many, years studying the theoretical side from hours and hours of Tom and Jerry (1940’s style) and the talents of Tex Avery. Being self-taught on the basic principles, Mark later graduated to 3D and since then has been developing his skills to suit each project with the styles required, from the realistic to the slapstick.
Mark has had the fortunate opportunity to work on some great projects and with some outstanding talent throughout his 16+ years in games having been the sole animator and lead animator on several projects, here to name but a few, All Zombies Must Die, Burn Zombie Burn, Dungeons and Dragons tactics, South Park Lets Go Tower Defense Play.More recently Mark became the ‘M’ in Madmunki along with Dave Dow and ventured into the realms of virtual space and that of Playstation Home, co-creating the wonderfully surreal and ever evolving interactive eco environment Spunland.
Allan first worked on games in 1987 helping to test and debug Snooker Manager. After a 15 year break, ten of which was spent coding for financial companies and five working on internet server code, he returned to games.
He worked on mobile titles including Judge Dredd, Crash Bandicoot, Lotus Racing, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure for a bit before progressing to work on console titles such as Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics on the PSP, Little Big Planet and South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play.He's currently working freelance with the simulation company Dovetail games.
We will be updating this page with images of the various rewards throughout the campaign, there is more information on each of them below but if you would like to ask us any questions please head to our forums.
- Newsletter - sign up to the newsletter for updates on the progress of the project via email
- Badge - The badge will appear next to your avatar image on the forums, denoting to the world that you have helped make neotopia a reality. In-world it will appear next to your user name. Wear it with pride or don’t wear it at all, it’s entirely up to you.
- Credit - We will add your name into a special section in the developer credit roll on our website
- Voting - We will regularly be putting new features and theme ideas up to the public vote, if you want to have your say, become a Citizen! You will be able to earn Citizenship post-launch through participation on the platform, but you won’t be able to vote until then and you won’t receive the exclusive Citizen aura and outfit.
- Outfit - What more to say? A dashing outfit exclusive to the campaign supplied in both his and hers for your avatar. As well as making you look awesome, they may even be required for certain events within neotopia.
- Aura - A magical aura for your avatar, instilling you with the glory of neotopia! For those who fancy a change of outfit but still want to display their Citizen status.
- Beta - We will be holding beta-trials for neotopia pre-launch for community feedback and general polishing, if you want early access, then the Socialite tier or higher is what you need!
- Companion - You will never be alone with the faithful Socialite companion, exclusive to KS! Don’t worry, it won’t cramp your style and you can activate or dismiss it whenever you like.
- Mount - Your trusty neotopian steed, the only way to get around town, exclusive to this campaign.
- Apartment - A swanky pad with all the mod cons, decorate it how you like and show it off to your friends! You can only get this exclusive apartment by pledging at the Resident tier or higher!
- Address - Every neotopian who gets an apartment will also get a number for it, the earlier you pledge the lower the number for your address.
- Memorial Wall - The memorial wall will be a permanent fixture in the centre of the neotopia hub, dedicated for all time to the memory of those who bought neotopia into being, i.e. You if you pledge at the Founder tier or higher.
- Bench - There will be benches throughout neotopia for you to rest your weary virtual legs. If you would like your ID and a short message inscribed on one then the Benefactor tier is what you need. Warning - messages will be subject to approval!
- Statue - There will be a ring of 12 statues around the memorial wall in the neotopia hub. If you want to make the ultimate statement and have your avatars visage on one of them then pledge at the Philanthropist level. Each statue will have a theme corresponding to one of the twelve themes listed above and as a backer at the Philanthropist tier you will get to choose which theme you take, but be quick because it’s first come, first served!
Risks and challenges
neotopia is undoubtedly a grand undertaking; virtual worlds are huge and complex, with their own rules and laws. The amount of money we are raising is much lower than many would expect as the core team will be taking minimal salaries (and in several cases zero), our biggest challenge will be to get the project delivered in a stable state with a steady stream of content ready which we can then use to expand and grow neotopia post launch.
Once we are up and running the trick will be to be cope with variable server loads as efficiently as possibe, taking on staff as required to help keep neotopia ticking over smoothly 24 hours a day. We will also need to recruit community managers experienced in all issues of virtual worlds to help us mediate and develop neotopia along with it's community.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)