Smallest flexible motorbike Head-Up Display HUD with cameras
Smallest flexible motorbike Head-Up Display HUD with cameras
Fits on any helmet, built on proven technology, BIKEHUD ADVENTURE is the smallest, lightest, most advanced motorcycle Head-Up Display
Fits on any helmet, built on proven technology, BIKEHUD ADVENTURE is the smallest, lightest, most advanced motorcycle Head-Up Display Read more
BIKEHUD ADVENTURE is the new, second generation motorcycle HUD from BIKESYSTEMS, the only company in the world to have a working, off-the-shelf Head-Up Display on the market today.
The original BIKEHUD CLASSIC has seen a full season’s sales across the globe. We are raising money to make updates to our existing product - here is a video to show our existing product in action:
The prototype for the new BIKEHUD ADVENTURE is our existing, fully functioning HUD, the BIKEHUD CLASSIC. We're adding lots of features to the CLASSIC to create the new ADVENTURE product.
With hundreds of thousands of miles ridden with BIKEHUD from Thailand to Australia and Europe to the US, the lessons we’ve learned have been fed into the development of BIKEHUD ADVENTURE, making it the perfect companion whether you’re commuting, touring, racing or just out for a weekend burn. BIKEHUD ADVENTURE retains the core features that make BIKEHUD CLASSIC a great design:
- Works on any motorcycle, from a 1951 Sunbeam S8 to the latest Ducati or BMW.
- fits in your existing helmet.
- an in-helmet display that can be moved between helmets (so no worries if you drop or damage your helmet – simply move it to the replacement helmet).
BIKEHUD ADVENTURE offers a lot more, configure it to suit your budget and needs, choose from:
• BIKEHUD ADVENTURE: wireless in-helmet Head-Up Display monocle. Fits in your current helmet. Shows speed, GPS navigation, safety cameras, and interfaces with your smart phone to play music and show who's calling you.
• BIKEHUD ADVENTURE PLUS: in-helmet monocle with BIKEHUB on-bike controller. This is the BIKEHUD ADVENTURE monocle with BIKEHUB controller fitted on your bike. It does everything the standalone BIKEHUD ADVENTURE does and:
o Adds high frequency speed display (updates up to 100 times each second)
o Shows extra info in the HUD monocle: gear selected, engine revs, indicators. Comes with a handlebar-mounted keypad. o Can take calls from your smartphone.
• BIKEHUD ADVENTURE VISION: monocle, BIKEHUB controller and BIKEVISION rear and forward facing cameras. Does everything the BIKEHUD ADVENTURE PLUS does with the addition of:
o forward and rear facing bike-mounted cameras giving wide angle vision and eliminating blind spots. The cameras are always ready to capture images as they are powered by the BIKEHUB controller (no need to worry about charging batteries) and they do not need to be fitted each time you ride - unlike other commercially available cameras.
The entire BIKEHUD system is plug and play - you can expand the system as and when you please. Say you start off with just the BIKEHUD ADVENTURE monocle and later decide you want the security of a rear-facing camera in your HUD display, no problem: simply add a BIKEHUB controller and BIKEVISION cameras to your bike – your monocle will work seamlessly with the new controller and cameras.
The BIKEHUD ADVENTURE gives you a bright, clear image using an HD transient TFT display illuminated by LED driven fibre optic technology. The image is projected onto a transparent screen that is almost invisible; after just a few seconds you don’t even see it - just like when you wear a pair of sunglasses.
For racing, it will also be possible to fix the display to the inside of a visor with optical glue, simplifying the installation still further. Technical specs:
• 0.35" 9mm x 6mm transmissive display.
• IMX6 Processor running Android o/s. • Low power 3.3V consumption
• Android 5 OS
• IEEE 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity up to 150MBps transmission.
• Target weight including battery: 100g
Optics consist of a unique focusing lens/combiner/beam splitter that lets us make BIKEHUD ADVENTURE both small and lightweight while reducing cost. The display:
• Size is 1" (25mm), since it fits inside the helmet
• Feels like looking at a transparent screen the size of a 25" monitor about five feet away.
As a comparison, BIKEHUD ADVENTURE speedo size appears to be around 9" high at the equivalent distance to the bike’s dashboard.
BIKEHUD ADVENTURE can be powered by its built-in battery OR via a cable. Typically battery life will be around four hours of continual uninterrupted riding via the built-in battery. It can be charged either when you take a break or on the move via USB through the on-board BIKEHUB controller OR via a phone-charge circuit if being used without BIKEHUB.
BIKEHUD ADVENTURE can be configured through your smartphone or PC via Wi-Fi. Smartphone support will be Android and iOS at launch with others to follow.
User-definable display - tailor it to suit your riding style
User-definable display means you decide what you want to see on your BIKEHUD and when.
• You might not want the tacho on permanently so you can turn it off and increase the size of other data to improve clarity
• You might want to display speed superimposed over the rear-looking camera
• Flip locations of gear position with speed
• Configure speed colour changes Storable configuration allows you to switch between your user-defined display settings throughout the day.
• In the morning you might be in your daily commuter heavy town traffic that means you want to see what's around you with the rear camera permanently on and just a small speed notification.
• In the afternoon you might head out on a canyon scratch where you're more interested in getting the best out of the ride.
You'll be able to switch between your stored configurations on demand. There are two modes: standard and racing.
The BIKEHUD ADVENTURE is designed with an increased emphasis on competitive use. Whether short-track, motocross, endurance or The Dakar.
We are working with racing's governing bodies such as The ACU and building on the original BIKEHUD CLASSIC to deliver a solution that not even the MOTO GP boys and girls have.
Racing features include:
• Pre-race set-up and testing such as lap and sector times displayed in real time
• Ability to set braking and turn-in points MUCH more accurately than looking for markers on the side of the track
• The ability to upload and store this data to third party sites such as serious-racing.com
BIKEHUD PITLANE – provides one-way communication via a smartphone from the pits/support teams to the racer. User-definable messages and icons to include such things as:
• STOP. Race abandoned due to accident/ hazard on track etc
• Return to pits either now or countdown in X laps
• You are X many seconds in front take it easy • You are about to be overtaken speed up
• You are X seconds behind the leader go for it
Our Standard mode is the setup you need for everyday road use. New software developments that are supplied free with BIKEHUD Classic and introduced as standard with Adventure will include these incredible features:
• BIKEHUD Rule of three: much of the BIKEHUD’s development has centred on a crucial finding we made whilst consulting with occupational psychologists. The maximum safe number of outside data streams that can be processed in stress environments is 3 – 5. And so the ‘Rule of 3’ was born.
This safety consideration is absolutely crucial to how BIKEHUD makes riding safer. Many gadgets marketed to bikers simply transfer the layout of information from bike dash to the helmet, even ADDING supplementary data that potentially distracts even MORE than a standard bike dash.
BIKEHUD has three sets of default data: SPEED, REVS and GEAR. It then temporarily over-writes or combines data as necessary:
- Indicators turn off the Engine Tacho, meaning you NEVER leave your indicators on
- When your SPEED is flashing, that’s the BIKEHUD fuel warning – you’ll NEVER miss it
- Speed Camera warnings replace GEAR information. Camera warning flashes if you’re riding too fast AND displays what type of camera is coming up
- GPS information progressively replaces key data to greatly minimise turn errors WITHOUT the distraction of reading a map. i.e. at 500 yards gear, revs time, temp etc are replaced by turn-by-turn information. At 100 yards speed is replaced by numerical countdown.
• BIKEHUD has been meticulously designed to relay all this information to the rider in a deliberately simplified format.
• Your cellphone GPS Navigation is fully supported providing a simplified junction layout and showing progress which means wrong-turns are a thing of the past.
• User configuration enables the user to set up various configuration options to suit not only the bike, riding style but traffic and riding conditions as they change throughout the days ride.
The BIKEHUB controller collects and processes information from the bike such as engine revs, indicators and more together with its own built-in GPS information for speed.
The BIKEHUB is at the heart of our system that communicates with all our existing components and permits all future hardware to be added via simple plug and play technology. It even has a charger for your smartphone. Main features are:
• Tried and tested. One simple box - not much bigger than an iPhone 4/5 will fit any bike. It really has been fitted to every type of motorcycle around the world covering the last 60 years of motorcycling history.
• IMX Processor running Windows CE
• Built in GPS module much more powerful that that built into standard smartphones. Can update speed changes up to 100 times/ second
• Expandable utilising the BIKEHUB expansion module
We've future-proofed as far as possible our systems too by ensuring that:
• Core software updates will ALWAYS be free.
• If you purchase a BIKEHUB, rest assured that new add-ons released by BIKESYSTEMS will ALWAYS plug into and work with the core BIKEHUB system you have on your bike.
Cameras are used increasingly by bikers. There's a plethora of GoPro styled adventure cameras that can be mounted on the bike or rider at all sorts of different angles. We believe that we have gone one step further. Our flexible camera can be configured to:
• Switch off the telemetry and/or video recording. It is after-all a double-edged sword.
• Choose to have rear camera on permanently or on demand via BIKEHUD's four-button keypad.
·A range of options - individual or combined affects the behaviour to include:
·Press button to show, Button to cancel.
·Press button once shows the rear for a configurable time.
·Combinations of configurable gear/ speed/ indicators.
·Acceleration/ deceleration rate turns on rear camera for a configurable time
Why mount cameras to the bike and not the helmet?
Our research has shown that cameras should be mounted to the bike rather than the rider’s helmet for a number of reasons:
- View - rider's heads are always moving. Scanning left to right at junctions; looking through the bends. It's not unreasonable on busy junctions to be looking at right angles to the direction of travel at that precise moment someone rams you in the rear! Accident statistics show outside of California you are 30% more likely to be involved in a rear-shunt type accident in the US. Similar figures are suggested in other countries that do not allow filtering or lane-splitting. If you ride with a passenger then a rear-looking camera on your helmet is pretty much useless.
- Weight - choose whether you are adding an external camera or using one built into the helmet weight of the camera plus the battery needed to power it can add significantly to the weight of the helmet. Increased helmet weight adds significantly to the risk of inertia-based neck injuries that occur even in reasonably low accident speeds. Consider whiplash injuries long associated with rear shunt accidents in cars and how those might be exacerbated with a weighty helmet. New carbon fibre helmets typically weigh less than 1000g we need to ensure that our products do not add significantly to that weight.
- Battery life - imagine the frustration of recording the best ever performance through your favourite turns only to find your camera died part way through. We know we've had it over and over filming our videos. Carrying spare batteries is no good if they're in your bag rather than the camera at that unrepeatable moment. Our cameras are simply powered by USB which means ANYONE can fit in minutes.
- Picture Quality - there's a world of difference between the quality of recording of say a micro-lapel type camera compared to a GoPro or even SLR. Sometimes size really does matter. Our cameras are small/ discreet enough to fit anywhere on your bike while being able to deliver the right quality.
Outside features/specs of the cameras include:
- Full-HD (1080p) 170 degree wide angle colour video capture, including sophisticated image sensor technology with comprehensive image control functions such as auto gain control, auto exposure and auto white balance. Compact, precision electronics and high-performance picture processing provide a robust platform on which to apply stabilisation techniques for picture judder reduction.
- On-demand transfer to the Adventure monocle for rear vision.
- Synchronised recording, onto an easily removable USB memory stick, with two cameras with the bike's telemetry and equipment state such as indicators.
- Flexible front and rear camera mounts - can be stuck to bodywork via adhesive pads or bolted to chassis mounts
BIKESYSTEMS was incorporated in 2012 to commercialise research by founder Dave Vout. The trigger for the idea came while riding a Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 around 2010.
He found that his leathers pushed up at the back of his neck, pressing against his helmet and making it difficult to turn his head. Combined with his wide shoulders that blocked the sports bike’s mirrors, he started looking for something that could help him see behind more easily.
Helmets were already available that used mirrors to provide a view of the world behind, but besides wanting to keep his Shoei,he was disappointed that a pillion could block that view, and that when looking into a corner’s exit, he’d no longer see the road behind. He wanted a video camera and a Head-Up Display (HUD).
After months of research, he failed to find a solution with the versatility and performance he expected, so he decided to make his own. By his own admission, Vout doesn’t have the skills to create the complicated lens system required for a HUD, or the electronics knowledge to control it.
An avid and experienced rider for more than 35 years he spent two years previously conceiving and then researching the idea of a Head-Up Display for motorcycles. Optical, electronics and software Engineers were commissioned to run a series of feasibility studies as to the practical possibilities of whether such a concept was possible while Vout carried out research as to potential competitors,
Practical, design, usage, safety and legal considerations
From these early studies BIKESYSTEMS was formed. Its purpose was to develop a range of new products to address what Vout believed to be a huge void in the motorcycle industry. That being providing a better interface between the rider, bike and passenger.
He thought this important through his own experience of riding fast bikes on modern UK roads. While he'd been riding for years, he was at best only putting around 2,000 miles/year over the summer (typical of 85% of all bikes sold in the UK as he later found out). If the average rider was like him then experience means nothing if the skill is not practised regularly throughout the year. He started to ask other questions:
·Riders are isolated - cocooned within their safety gear. Surely there was a better way of providing the rider with information without creating distractions
·Why were add-ons such as intercoms etc so difficult to fit and why were the quality so hit and miss?
·Why wasn't better comfort such as overheating thought through and why oh why hadn't someone come up with a visor demister or wiper system?
From the get go there were two principle design cornerstones for BIKESYSTEMS:
·All BIKESYSTEMS products must fit to any motorcycle that had a 12v circuit. Regardless, of rider style, bike or location BIKESYSTEMS products needed to be of benefit to all.
·All BIKESYSTEMS products must fit to a currently available motorcycle helmet and clothing. Bikers often spend years finding the right helmet manufacturer, model and style that suits them. Helmet choice is NOT simply about style and fashion - it's about confidence and safety too.
We've achieved the first. Experience has taught us that we'll cover 90% of the second.
The first prototype of our first product BIKEHUD ran in the fall of 2011.
As with many prototypes, this bared no resemblance to the BIKEHUD that exists today. Those early days were vital not just to prove the concept worked but to understand what a Head-Up Display should display. It was at this time that the Rule of Three was conceived. We found that simply transferring a bike's instrumentation from the bike to the helmet was not the profound Eureka moment we thought it would. A substantial amount of time was spent riding with the Prototype, refining the display, reducing its size, removing clutter while at the same time increasing the size of the information.
BIKEHUD CLASSIC is the only motorcycle HUD currently on the market. While the company and initial product range might be the brain child of one man, BIKEHUD is simply too complex to be designed and built by a single individual. As you might expect BIKEHUD's development is driven by a multi-disciplinary team of experts that are now headed by our newest and most important team members – our customers.
It is the knowledge and skill-sets of all of our design professionals that has made BIKEHUD CLASSIC the resounding success it is. We measure our success as follows:
1.Reliability: since April we've had just three products fail in the field. This is a testament to the solidity of the original design, robustness of materials used and QA procedures.
2.Returns: considering thus far BIKEHUD has been sold via our web site our returns rate is less than 2% which means we are delivering product that is what bikers want.
Our achievements are now being recognised by others. In September 2014 we applied for and were awarded a £60,000 ($100,000 US) EU grant for innovation. This funding will be fully invested in our ADVENTURE and BIKEVISION developments for 2015.
Our agenda is clearly set: to make motorcycling safer, easier and more fun regardless of use, experience, age, bike type, make, model. We anticipate our products will encourage more to try motorcycling as an alternative transport and exciting pastime.
We have a strong partner mentality meaning that we develop relationships with long-term expectations. Our business partners know we are looking for quality at a realistic price. We nurture a direct honesty which means we get to the nub of an issue quickly saving time. Since everyone works in an open environment and for the common good we don't need to apportion blame. The team simply works together to address issues in a timely fashion.
All our suppliers are UK based meaning communication and meetings take place in real time and are far more effective than dealing with multiple time zones, complexity of language and communication issues. Our market maybe large but it's not huge which means the economies of scale of manufacturing product in millions does not exist for us. Therefore UK manufacturing is every bit as competitive as anywhere else in the world without the need for long lead-in times and massive commitments to manufacturing volumes. All of these factors ensure we operate in a real-time environment enabling us to respond rapidly to the emerging needs of our customers. Wearable Tech is still in its infancy. We are one of the few companies worldwide that is producing practical solutions in this field and currently the only one specifically in the motorcycle industry reflecting the effectiveness of our processes.
We know each of our principles by name meeting with them regularly. Since we have a long-standing knowledge - we know our manufacturers and suppliers can accommodate our production schedules and deliver on time. Our relationship with our manufacturer is based on a contractual stock-purchase scheme allowing us to lever economies of scale, scale up our production WITHOUT the traditional cash-flow implications.
In short we are a new company with a traditional approach and values. Which means we can turn product around in an enviably short time.
Our home is nestled right at the centre of the Industrial Revolution's heartland at the old Chatterley Whitfield Colliery in Stoke on Trent. Facts about where we are from includes:-
• Less than 0.5 miles North. Source of the River Trent. Fourth longest River in UK
• 3 miles North East Rudyard Lake. Conceptual place of Rudyard Kipling. Famous Victorian writer and author.
• 1 mile East. Home of James Brindley. Famous 18th Century Engineer and Engineer over Britain's first commercially successful canal.
• 3 miles East. Birthplace of Reginald Mitchel. Designer of the Spitfire. Arguably the most famous aeroplane ever made.
• 4 miles South. Birthplace and first factory of Josiah Wedgwood. Arguably the inventor of Mass Production and Modern Marketing . Member of The Lunar Society, Grand Father of Charles Darwin and principle abolitionist of slavery.
• And finally Chatterley Whitfield Colliery - The first colliery to gross one million tons/ year.
As we are already selling BIKEHUD CLASSIC, we have reviews from real international users:
CRISPIN MORRIS; Thailand – SEPTEMBER 21, 2014:
The installation was very straight forward as there is a very well written manual supplied with the device. I made a few calls and was very impressed with the customer service and support.
I did take a few rides to get all the settings to suit me but very soon I was convinced that the Bike HUD was essential for my situation.
Riding is Thailand is like a game of space invaders until you get out of the city and then you have vehicles pulling out of U Turns slowly in the country side there is limited sense of road safety. Thailand is a place where you must mad to look down at gauges etc. I just don’t look down any more.
This device has made me a much safer rider and made me realise that it’s value is protecting life theres and there is no price on that!
Having bought the Bike HUD I would be reluctant to ride without it. I hope to have the GPS integrated soon.
DAVID KERR: New Zealand – SEPTEMBER 5, 2014:
I have had my HUD for a little more than a month and am impressed. I have found the unit to be something that is very quickly becoming my second best friend on the bike (wife being the first sorry Dave); it has proven to be easy to adapt to and become second nature.
ROB CRADDOCK: UK – JUNE 4, 2014:
As an early adopter I’ve had it for a while now and after the initial setup phase I was good to go and now wonder how I managed before it.
As English weather can be interesting I have used in variety of conditions and having all details in front of you, so not looking away from the road is very handy especially in the bad weather.
ADIE KITACHI: UK – MAY 19, 2014:
I’ve been using my Bike HUD for the past three months, every day in all weathers and of course at night too. It has proven to be invaluable in rain storms when traditionally it has been practically impossible to read my instruments and it has been fantastic in the recent bright sunshine with absolutely no glare on the display. Operation has been absolutely faultless and the fact I no longer need to take my eyes off the road has greatly improved my riding experience.
Buy a Bike HUD, you’ll be so glad you did!
The BIKEHUD story has featured in many media titles including:
Plus also appearing on UK's national TV network namely ITV 4's 'The Motorbike Show' hosted by Henry Cole.
It also featured prominently at the UK's Gadget Show Live Future Tech Pavilion.
In terms of current state of development of the new product, we're all set to proceed to the next level. With your help we'll be able to commence and complete:
- The final design, tooling for manufacture of the ADVENTURE and BIKEVISION cases.
- Final design inclusive of artwork for the electronics plus all testing for electronic standards accreditation for EU, North America, Australasia.
- Modifications to the existing software to incorporate ADVENTURE and BIKEVISION into the existing system plus new software features to our phone apps.
- Final design inclusive of Diamond Turned moulding references for checks against manufacture plus tooling for the optical system.
Currently we've competed feasibility studies and bench tests of the optics utilising off the shelf components. this has allowed us to create a mock-up and establish a comparison with the existing BIKEHUD CLASSIC.
Our conceptual and feasibility studies are complete. Once we've completed our fund-raising portion of the project we'll commence final design of the hardware, software testing and manufacture. The following establishes why we'll be able to meet this schedule:
• The team and more importantly the team members have all worked on the BIKEHUD CLASSIC project and know it inside-out.
• ALL members of the Design and Manufacturing Teams are either working in the same office or within a 2 hour drive ensuring communication issues are kept to an absolute minimum
• We use standard components or tried/ tested procedures which means the design risks have been processed out.
• We are adding components to an otherwise completely tested and proven product. An outline of the final project plan is below:
Risks and challenges
Most risks simply don't exist since we are only adding new functionality to an already existing and proven product that has literally been ridden all over the world for hundreds of thousands miles.
Our team completed the final design of the original BIKEHUD in less than nine months From May 2013 to Jan 2014. That included:
• FULL final design of optics, mechanics, electronics and software.
• Trial installation on multiple motorcycles and helmets to ensure full functionality and out-of-the-box installation
• Independent testing of mount and electronics
• Full tooling
• Pre-Manufacture in batches of 3, 20 and 100 units to ensure product conformity, functionality and reliability
Testament to the original design that there have been only two electronic changes and three field-based failures and returns in all that time. VERY impressive results from a small company.
- (30 days)