About this project
Magical powers merge seamlessly in a medieval setting, creating a believable world that is at once familiar and yet completely new.
Play epic high fantasy, medieval intrigue, barbaric adventures, and more in a game born in a land of castles and legends.
Heroic adventure awaits in the rich and immersive fantasy setting of Aventuria.
This is the thrilling world of The Dark Eye!
Europe’s most popular fantasy RPG, The Dark Eye, is now available in English!
People have been playing The Dark Eye for over 30 years! It’s a well-crafted, believable medieval world created by masterful German designers native to a land of dark woods, deep mines, and high castles.
Over 30 years, those designers and a vast fan base of hundreds of thousands of players have created a rich fantasy lore without compare!
The Dark Eye (TDE) has the largest active community of any European roleplaying game. Years of gaming and stories provide a depth to the world not commonly found in other games.
This latest edition of The Dark Eye brings together decades of design refinements and player suggestions, all coordinated by a passionate and skilled team who have been playing for years.
The Dark Eye is rich, complete, and incredibly real!
Aventuria is a vast and detailed continent and a world in need of heroes. The heart of Aventuria is the Middenrealm, an empire nominally ruled by the young Empress Rohaja but in reality controlled by powerful regional lords and ladies. It is a land where knights and daring heroes fight for the order of the gods and grim dwarves delve their mines and subterranean cities deep in the mountains.
Some years ago, human servants of the dreaded archdemons conquered a province of the Middenrealm. Now called the Shadowlands, this haunted realm is home to demon summoners and necromancers. The Middenrealm remains ever vigilant for signs that the armies of the Shadowlands are once again on the move.
The progressive Horasian Empire, home to artists and poets, lies south of the Middenrealm. The cities of this fertile land are ruled by patricians, nobles, and councilors who strive constantly to outdo or weaken their rivals via intrigue.
The orcs of Aventuria make their home in the Orclands, steppes that stretch along the northwestern border of the Middenrealm.
Thorwal lies west of the Orclands. The Thorwalers are brave seafarers who enjoy a reputation as feared pirates. Emboldened by their whale-god, Swafnir, the longboats of the Thorwalers threaten much of the western coast of Aventuria.
Further south lies the Empire of Al’Anfa. Its capital of the same name, called the Boil of the South by some, is a city of decadence and intrigue where a stranger’s life is worth only what it can fetch in the slave markets.
Novadi tribes rule the huge Khôm Desert that lies east of the Horasian Empire, beyond the mountains. Even further east, sultans and emirs rule over the Lands of the Tulamydes.
The northern forests and steppes surrounding the Salamander Stones are the traditional homelands of the elves. Beloved for their beauty and grace but feared for their sometimes cruel treatment of invaders, elves are magical beings who seem to be born from light.
The Dark Eye derives its name from the most intriguing magical artifacts in Aventuria—the Dark Eyes. These rare and powerful magical items allow users to view far away places and glimpse scenes from the distant past. Creating such an artifact calls for very powerful magic and a sizable quantity of raw meteoritic iron. Few spellcasters have ever mastered the necessary enchantments. When completed successfully, the iron assumes the form of an orb or an eye.
The Dark Eye uses a unique, time-tested game system refined over decades of continuous play. This newest edition’s designers honed the feedback of thousands of players into the most balanced and playable version of The Dark Eye yet! Try it out for yourself! Click below to get the Quick Start Rules right away!
This edition of The Dark Eye incorporates module rules, as well, where general rules can be set aside for more in-depth rules when warranted by the situation. These focused rules offer more realistic options when such detail is wanted, but need not encumber the game when they are not.
The game system lets your group play any game style they prefer, be it a fun, quick dungeon crawl or a more elaborate storytelling session, or they can play TDE as an immersive simulation game. The game rules offer depth and detail, yet they are still fast to learn.
For more information, and an enjoyable beginning adventure, see the Quick Start Rules for The Dark Eye.
The Dark Eye Core Rules—your gateway to Aventuria!
The Dark Eye core rule book is a glorious 416-page masterpiece! Color illustrations adorn almost every page, immersing you in the world of Aventuria. Every chapter presents one aspect of game play. Color coding helps you stay on top of the rules, and the layout is tailored for ease of use at the gaming table. The Core Rules exemplify traditional European quality.
For those who have played Das Schwarze Auge before, the English edition is a translation of the 5th edition German rules.
Three Different Formats: Choose a Pledge Level offering the version you'd most like to own!
Each version is a beautiful volume you’ll be proud to own and display!
The rules presented in each version – Core Rules, Deluxe Core Rules, and Leather-Bound Core Rules – are identical.
Should we pass our original funding goal, we’ll add this sequence of Stretch Goals free to every appropriate pledge level! Let’s unlock as many as we can and make everyone’s launch into the world of The Dark Eye and Aventuria as rich and exciting as possible!
• $11,000 Aventurian Herald E1 (PDF) An edition of Aventuria’s newspaper of events and happenings, driving the living setting forward.
• $12,000 Sticker Set #1 (4 stickers) (PHYSICAL) Four god stickers featuring some of the awesome artwork from The Dark Eye.
• $13,000 A Goblin More or Less (PDF) A full 16-page adventure for The Dark Eye!
• $14,000 Bookmarks Set #1 (3 chapter-specific bookmarks) (PHYSICAL ) Special chapter-specific bookmarks especially made for the Core Rules.
• $15,000 Aventurian Herald E1 and A Goblin More or Less upgraded to PHYSICAL
- $17,000 Deep Rules PDF 1: Additional Monsters, PDF Special rules that won’t be available to non-backers for several months.
- $19,000 Character Sheets PDF: full-color 2-page standard character sheets and full-color 4-page character sheets, PDF
- $21,000 Additional Die #1: one special d6 with Thorwal face PHYSICAL
- $22,000 Short Story #1, “Duty, Part 1,” by Marie Mönkemeyer, from the Starless Sky anthology, PDF
- $24,000 Aventurian Herald E2 PDF
- $25,000 Sticker Set #2 (4 stickers), PHYSICAL
- $27,500 The Molted Serpent PDF A full 16-page adventure for The Dark Eye!
- $30,000 Bookmarks Set #2 (3 chapter-specific bookmarks), PHYSICAL
- $32,000 Aventurian Herald E2 and The Molted Serpent upgraded to PHYSICAL
- $35,000 Deep Rules PDF #2: Additional Combat Rules, PDF Special rules that won’t be available to non-backers for several months.
- $38,000 Character Sheets: 5 printed full-color 2-page standard character sheets and 3 full-color 4-page character sheets, PHYSICAL
- $41,000 Additional Die #2: one special d6 with Al’Anfa face, PHYSICAL
- $44,000 Short Story #2, “Herbalism,” by Gudrun Schürer, from the Starless Sky anthology, PDF
- $47,000 Aventurian Herald E3 PDF
- $50,000 Sticker Set #3 (5 stickers), PHYSICAL
- $53,000 The Thorwal Drum, PDF A full 16-page adventure for The Dark Eye!
- $56,000 Poster #1 Aventuria Map Poster, PHYSICAL. Also includes a high-res PDF of the map, available to both physical and digital-only backers.
- $59,000 Aventurian Herald E3 and The Thorwal Drum upgraded to PHYSICAL
- $62,000 Deep Rules PDF #3: Additional Spells and Magical Talents, PDF Special rules that won’t be available to non-backers for several months
- $65,000 Additional Character Sheets: 5 more printed full-color 2-page standard character sheets and 3 more full-color 4-page character sheets PHYSICAL
- $68.000 Additional Die #3: one special d6 with Demon Crown face, PHYSICAL
- $71,000 Short Story #1 and #2 upgraded to PHYSICAL
- $74,000 Archdemons Die: one special large d12 with images of the Archdemons, PHYSICAL
- $77,000 Aventurian Herald E4 PDF
- $80,000 Additional Leather Dice Cup, get 1 selected randomly from 3 different designs (adds on to The Dark Eye Deluxe Gamer, The Dark Eye Leather-Bound Gamer, and Aventurian Adventurer pledge levels only), PHYSICAL
- $83,000 Kibakadabra, PDF A full 16-page adventure for The Dark Eye!
- $86,000 Poster #2, Core Rules cover poster, PHYSICAL
- $89,000 Aventurian Herald E4 and Kibakadabra upgraded to PHYSICAL
- $92,000 Soundtrack CD (adds on to The Dark Eye Deluxe Gamer, The Dark Eye Leather-Bound Gamer, and Aventurian Adventurer pledge levels only), PHYSICAL
- $95,000 Twelvegods Die: one special large d12 with symbols of all the Twelvegods, PHYSICAL
- $98,000 Additional Die #4: one special d6 with Nameless One face, PHYSICAL
- $101,000 Poster #3: Aventuria Almanac cover
- $104,000 Aventurian Herald E5 PDF
- $107,000 Deep Rules PDF #4: Excerpts from the Aventuria Almanac
- $110,000 Emperor of Thieves Adventure PDF
- $113,000 Bestiary Cards
- $116,000 Aventurian Herald E5 and Emperor of Thieves adventure upgraded to PHYSICAL
- $120,000 Aventuria Adventure Card Game promotional card #1, Alluring Bait, PHYSICAL
- $130,000 Aventuria Adventure Card Game promotional card #2, The Orc Family, PHYSICAL
- $140,000 Aventuria Adventure Card Game promotional card #3, The Dark Eye, PHYSICAL
- $150,000 FINAL STRETCH GOAL Justice and Noble Valor adventure, exclusive English-language publication, PDF (This reward will unlock as long as we make the target amount with BackerKit preorders/addons.)
Many of the physical items presented in the different Pledge Levels can become a physical Add On to these Pledge Levels: Core Rules Physical, Deluxe Gamer Package, Leather-Bound Gamer Package, and Aventurian Adventurer.
The Deluxe Edition Core Rules (red leatherette cover) and the Leather-Bound Edition Core Rules (black real leather cover) are not available as Add Ons.
All the PDFs through December 2017: $99 (no shipping required)
The standard edition of The Dark Eye Core Rules with the Witch’s Dance adventure: $50 + $5 additional postage.
The Leather Dice Cup with 8 colored d20s: $20 + $3 additional postage.
Advantages & Disadvantages Card Set: $10 + $2 additional postage.
Combat & Special Abilities Card Set: $10 + $2 additional postage.
Spells & Rituals Card Set: $10 + $2 additional postage.
Liturgies & Ceremonies Card Set: $8 + $2 additional postage.
All four Card Packs in PDF: Combat & Special Abilities, Liturgies & Ceremonies, Spells & Rituals, and Advantages & Disadvantages: $20 (no shipping required)
Set of 20 Fate Chips: $15 + $2 additional postage.
Reference chart for the various backer levels. Read the level descriptions and stretch goals for more details:
(Note - The Game Package Digital pledge level is not included in this charge, because we have since made the same rewards available at a lower cost. Please read the FAQ at the bottom of this page.)
This pledge level is ideal if you just want to get a look at the game digitally. You will get access to the PDF versions of the Core Rules and the Witch’s Dance adventure, and PDFs of all appropriate unlocked stretch goal rewards. $20
This is the basic pledge level to get into The Dark Eye! You will get a physical copy and PDF version of the standard edition Core Rules and the Witch’s Dance adventure, plus physical copies and PDFs of all unlocked stretch goal rewards. $50
Get a much more robust gaming package with this pledge level! You will get a physical copy and PDF version of the Deluxe Edition Core Rules (red leatherette cover) and the Witch’s Dance adventure, plus the Leather Dice Cup, four Card Packs, and Fate Chips, plus physical copies and PDFs of all unlocked stretch goal rewards. $125
Your chance to get the limited edition, leather-bound version of The Dark Eye Core Rules (black real leather cover). You will receive a physical copy and PDF version of the Leather-Bound Edition Core Rules and the Witch’s Dance adventure, plus the Leather Dice Cup, four Card Packs, and Fate Chips, plus physical copies and PDFs of all unlocked stretch goal rewards. $199
Connect digitally with The Dark Eye for its first two years of publication! You will get the PDF version of the standard edition Core Rules and the Witch’s Dance adventure, plus the PDF versions of the four Card Packs, plus PDFs of all unlocked stretch goal rewards and the PDF format version of every book published for The Dark Eye through December 2017 (approximately 30 different game books)! $199*
*Note - We have provided a less expensive way to receive these same rewards. Please read the FAQ at the bottom of this page.
Become a part of Aventuria in perpetuity! You will get a physical copy and PDF version of the Leather-Bound Edition Core Rules and the Witch’s Dance adventure, plus the Leather Dice Cup, four Card Packs, and Fate Chips, plus physical copies and PDFs of all unlocked stretch goal rewards, as well as your character illustrated in full-page, full-color to be included in a future The Dark Eye product. $299
This pledge level is for retailers only. If your store cannot be verified we will send you the Deluxe Gamer Package instead. Get 4 of The Dark Eye Core Rules PHYSICAL COPY and 1 The Dark Eye Deluxe Edition Core Rules PHYSICAL COPY, plus 5 of the Witch’s Dance adventure PHYSICAL COPY, plus 2 of each of these full color card packs: Advantages & Disadvantages, Combat & Special Abilities, Spells & Rituals, Liturgical Chants & Ceremonies, 2 sets of 20 custom, plastic Fate Chips, plus 3 Leather Dice Cup with 8 special d20s in each, as well as 5 of every unlocked stretch goal reward. $199
4 x The Dark Eye Core Rules (Basic)
1 x The Dark Eye Deluxe Edition Core Rules
5 x Witch’s Dance adventure
2 x Advantages & Disadvantages full color card packs
2 x Combat & Special Abilities full color card packs
2 x Spells & Rituals full color card packs
2 x Liturgical Chants & Ceremonies full color card packs
2 x sets of 20 custom, plastic Fate Chips
3 x Leather Dice Cups with 8 special d20s in each
5 x each unlocked physical stretch goal reward
Digital files of the books and stretch goals are included for the retailer's personal use only.
Free Shipping to Retailers in Germany and the United States. Reduced shipping to all other locations.
All European backers’ items will be delivered from Germany; the rest of the world from the USA.
Standard shipping rates:
Rest of the world: $50
Delivery of PDFs is through DriveThruRPG.com.
Translation of all books is done, the layout is already underway, and we have our printing time scheduled with our printers. All we need now is your support to make this happen! Everything should enter production shortly after the Kickstarter ends and, if everything goes well, backers start receiving their The Dark Eye packages in August!
The Dark Eye is an established game from an established publisher. Ulisses Spiele is already well established. We have plenty of support, supplements, and adventures for The Dark Eye already, and we’ve had time to fine-tune the rules. We’ve hired native English speakers to make sure our translations meet your expectations. Once your campaign begins, we’ll support it thoroughly with exciting new products for years to come through Ulisses North America!
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thedarkeyegame/
Follow us on Google+: https://plus.google.com/104738350107311111936/posts
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/darkeyerpg
The Dark Eye will be supported with an aggressive release schedule.
New rule books, adventures, supplements, and more… everything you’ll need to build an exciting campaign for your adventurers in the uniquely realistic and compelling setting of Aventuria! The Aventurian Bestiary and Aventuria Almanac are especially useful – watch for them coming out soon!
Here are the additional products planned for the next several months:
July 2016 Revelations from Heaven (64-page softcover adventure)
August 2016 Aventurian Bestiary (128-page hardcover sourcebook) and The Vampire of Havena (64-page softcover solo adventure)
September 2016 Aventuria Almanac (240-page hardcover sourcebook with 2 maps), Digest-sized Core Rules (416-page softcover rulebook), and Arivor’s Doom (64-page softcover adventure.
October 2016 Starless Sky (336-page large paperback short story anthology) and Aventuria Adventure Card Game (stand-alone card game, 272 cards, rules, counters, etc.)
November 2016 The White Lake (64-page softcover adventure), Aventuria Map Set (7 maps in different sizes & 1 large poster), and GM Screen (4 panel screen & 48 page sourcebook about taverns)
Copyright © 2016 by Ulisses Spiele GmbH, Waldems. THE DARK EYE, AVENTURIA, DERE, MYRANOR, RIESLAND, THARUN, and UTHURIA are trademarks of Ulisses Spiele. All rights reserved.
Risks and challenges
Even though this is our first international Kickstarter, we have considerable prior experience with crowdfunding. The books and other materials presented here are currently in layout and will be printer-ready as soon as this campaign is successful. We already have all our printing, distribution, and logistics partners—and believe us, we chose the best people available! If everything goes well, all the rewards will be delivered before GENCON 2016.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)