About this project
...is an exploration of the pen art of Shelly Loke and an adventure of coloring fun for you.
It is a feast of dragon art...
filled with intriguing pen Illustrations all featuring dragons to tease your imagination.
It is a coloring book...
...that you may take your pens, pencils, markers, and crayons to develop to your hearts content. It will become your own book.
The printed book:
- Will feature at least 45 unique images featuring dragons drawn by Shelly Loke and formatted for you to color.
- Each image will have it's own page so you don't have to worry about bleed through with markers and you can cut them out to hang up.
- Printed on high quality paper
- Full color soft cover with mat finish coating.
- Printed in the USA
One day in recent history,...
...I began to draw dragons, lots of them. I would wake up extra early dreaming about their majestic forms and draw pencil sketches until I had to leave for work. Then I would come home from work that evening and start inking in my favorites until my eyes demanded sleep. It became an obsessive cycle. My dream dragons would accompany unusual friends, be exploring, or were spied as a snoring pile of scales hugging a teddy bear. Magnificent and terrifying wings would carry my beasts into the sky and even into space for that extra special take out dinner. I showed them to friends and family. There was much joy had in their playful whimsy and stoic majesty. When the pile of finished drawings began to stack up unloved in a corner, I knew that if I did nothing, if I did not act they would soon suffer the fate of many a lonely and forgotten treasure of art.
As I began scanning and working over my drawings for printing, I considered that my book should not be just an item of my own creation; it needed to be a book for your inspiration too. Therefore, I designed this project as a coloring book as well as a display of my art. That is how this book came to be.
Today I draw dragons.
Tomorrow, who knows?
Volume 2 and the future:
As a result of my zeal I created too many drawings for one functional coloring book. I chose quality over quantity with my planning and the thicker paper stock would make a mega-volume unpleasant for us all to play with and very expensive. So, if my work is so funded to the proper stretch goal I will make Volume 2 a reality and available with this Kickstarter as well.
Dragon Coloring Page PDF: Digital copy, computer viewable and printable file. This reward is a single page from the coloring book emailed to you for your own personal coloring enjoyment. This reward is compoundable: two purchases will equal two different images and so on.
“Today I Draw Dragons, Volume 1” PDF: Digital copy, computer viewable and single image printable file of the whole volume one book including at least 45 dragon images plus any stretch goal images for Volume 1. You may print the images for your own personal use and enjoyment.
“Today I Draw Dragons, Volume 1” Printed coloring book: This reward is the reason for the Kickstarter. It will be a quality printed hard copy, soft cover of the book. Includes 45 images plus any stretch goal add-ons for Volume 1.
Dragon Themed sketch card: 2.5” x 3.5” card with an original sketch of a dragon hand drawn by Shelly and created just for this Kickstarter project. These will be available in limited quantities.
Signed and Doodled Book: Shelly will sign and draw a little doodle in your book before she packs and ships it to you.
Limited Edition Prints: Special limited run prints of the dragons rendered in colored pencil or other mediums. More to be added as the campaign progresses!
Original Art Works: Black and White ballpoint pen illustrations done on 8.5” x 11” cover stock paper. There will be slight variations between the original art and the formatted piece printed in the book. Some of the original pieces have black and gray marker enhancements to them as well.
Custom Art: Custom pen dragon drawing drawn to your description.
Recognition: Your name as a supporter will appear in the book
Meal with Shelly Loke: We shall feast! Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner in the Chicago area, with me, the Artist. We shall collaborate to select a fine restaurant. (Might I recommend “Via Lima”?) This level includes a meal with Shelly Loke the artist. Timing will be at the artist’s availability.
Presentation with Shelly Loke: I, Shelly the Loke will drive Up to 75 miles from Chicago, Or 50 miles from Milwaukee to your chosen local store, library, school, or other available gathering location for either an artist’s talk or a draw in, and a book signing, and a visit with you and your guests. This even includes at least two hours of Shelly’s attendance to your venue. Shelly will also bring fantastic mixed bakery from Chicago’s own “Dinkles” Bakery for up to two dozen people. This event is contingent upon her availability. Weekends might be best but I will try to be flexible. Venue and seating are to be arranged and provided for by the buyer.
This project is set to fund at the minimal amount I would need to print and ship a short-run set of quality books. That is my goal here, But my desire goes beyond that. I would also like to take this project further to a second volume and even into store distribution. This is how it can happen:
- $800, +1 drawing added to Volume 1.
- $1000, +1 drawing added to Volume 1.
- $1200 I will manually draw bleed edges to at least half of the drawings so that they will be printed edge to edge. This will not shrink the drawings on the page it will enlarge them for an awesome look.
- $1400 Thank You! I will have the resources needed to create and print Volume 2. Double Bonus! *If we reach this level then all Volume 1 book orders and all Volume 1 PDF orders made by the end of the day that this stretch goal is reached will be upgraded to include the Volume 2 pdf as well. What it means to me: I get to see my work printed in two books!
- $1600, +1 drawing added to volume 2
- $1800, +1 drawing added to volume 2
- $2000 +2 drawings added to Volume 1.
- $2200, +2 drawings added to volume 2
- $2400, I will manually draw bleed edges to at least half of the drawings in Volume 2 so that they are printed all the way to the page edge. This will not shrink the drawings on the page it will enlarge them for an awesome look.
- $2600, Double bonus! +1 drawing added to Volume 1. +1 drawing to volume 2
- $3000: I will add three additional drawings to each book for a total of 53 drawings in each volume.
At this level, I can now push forward and modify my books to be “Retail ready”. This means that I can set them up for retail distribution and sale. This level of funding will allow me to properly deal with such matters as ISBN numbers, advertising, website development, and inventory storage. It will also allow me to order in quantities large enough to offer wholesale pricing for Volume 1.
- $3500: Double bonus! +1 drawing added to Volume 1. +1
drawing to volume 2
- $3800: I will add bleed edges to all the rest of the
drawings in both volumes.
- $4500: I will add a final three additional drawings to each book for a total of 57 drawings in each book. With both books that counts to 114 dragons! If I have the backer driven images supported each final book could have 60 images. This is as thick as I will go to preserve its function as a coloring book. At this quantity of pages, each volume is estimated to be almost a half-inch thick. That is a lot of book.
- $5000: I will create a special cover design for both volumes
and I will have a separate printing with the cover just for the Kickstarter
- $6000: I will start planning a third coloring book with a
theme voted on by my backers. It could
be more dragons, it could be equines, or it could be cephalopods, who knows?
Thank you. I will also create a special
dragon drawing released as a pdf for Kickstarter backers only.
Risks and challenges
There are minimal risks for the printing of the book. I have enough artwork created and scanned in to fulfill my planned page count. I do have to finish cleaning and editing the images as well as finalize the layout but I have myself on a strong schedule for that.
My busy season at work starts in April so that could slow things down but I intend to keep pace through February and March so that I have most every thing done before that.
I want to rework and refine the cover images.
Things will be more complicated if I get to create volume 2 but I am ready for the challenge.
This is my first foray into the printing business but I have been working hard to research my options. The printer I have chosen has printed coloring books before. I am confident that my choices of paper and format will create a nice product.
I will be printing the book in the United States.
The only thing that might shift the timing will be any custom drawings and bonus artworks needed for the book.
I will also need to hire a distributing service for the larger PDF files but I have several recommended services to choose from.
Support this project
- (30 days)