OBACHAN PANIC is a roleplaying game where neurotic grandmas & aunties save the world—and look good doing it!
Everyone has one: a wonderfully quirky, slightly naggy grandma (or aunty). But little did you know that they saved your home and country countless times from alien invasions, government conspiracies, untold monsters, the singularity, economic collapse and deflated soufflés—AND made it home in time to make you that casserole you like.
It's MONSTER OF THE WEEK x MONSTERHEARTS, but with adorable grannies and aunties, wrapped in neuroses and served with a side of chicken soup and weaponized guilt.
In OBACHAN PANIC, you'll get to:
- Design your very own, one-of-a-kind Obachan with a stupendous amount of tables—an eccentric fashionista a la Iris Apfel, a cat lady with 7 psychic alien kitties, a skydiving thrill seeker, a chain-smoking Paladin of gossip...
- Build their backstory—and BOY do they ever!
- Choose from 24+ custom moves (ex1. Handbag of Holding — reach in and pull out exactly what you need at the right time...maybe. ex2. Jimmy! — A brilliant counter attack. Jimmy? Is that you? I used to babysit you and your sister, although when you were in the tub sometimes I'd still get confused which was which... )
- Uncover weird mysteries and conspiracies, and slay BAT$#!+ crazy monsters and elder gods from other dimensions!
- GOSSIP! Each player gets to gossip (secretly or openly) to the GM about what's really going on — answering questions to help build the world, plot hooks and NPCs
- ACT OUT neuroses at the worst possible moments—but which just might save the day in the most unlikeliest of situations
- GRANDMA MASTERS ONLY: Grandmotherly GM tips on how to run your first game (including a secret treat recipe!) and a starter adventure generator: Big Trouble in Little Bachantown (save Chinatown or [insert culture]town from mysterious government agents, triads and ancestral spirits—armed with your secret recipe for chicken soup)
- Saddle-stapled on niceish paper, b/w, 24 pages + stretch goals for more pages + PDF
- Limited Editions will have something special, like a Risographed or stamped cover kissed by my actual grandma that doubles as a GM screen—and hand stitching with neon thread that you can use as a bookmark or to hang the zine ornamentally
- Custom Art Edition by Oddsbod includes a custom portrait of your own Obachan (Note: You'll send us a photo and/or description and we'll include a 3/4 body sketch of similar style to the other portraits in the game.)
- Powered by The Apocalypse (PBTA) base mechanics—a storygame accessible to anyone. Player rules fit on one page and character creation is just a few minutes, thanks to our handy dandy moves sheets and tables. Takes just 2 dice—play it at a pub, on a boat or as a break from your other campaigns
- OSR stretch goals! Grannies for your dungeon crawl. See below.
- GOSSIP mechanics let players muse openly (or secretly) to the GM, and these little seeds will mature and spin out of control as the clock ticks
- NEUROSES triggers optionally allow characters to act out in inconvenient ways—but in turn bank points to activate super powers
- Character sheets feature a foldable name card that faces other players—pick from a few sample backgrounds and moves on starter sheets to start playing now, or go hardcore and roll on detailed Obachan builder tables and pick from 24+ custom moves to build your ultimate aunty!
What is an "Obachan" anyway?
It's an endearing Japanese word for grannie or sometimes aunty. To be clear: this isn't about age or background or race (or even gender), but rather it's about the inner spirit of the aunty.They're often overlooked—at least in heroic adventure games. Who says they can't slay vampires, seduce foreign dignitaries and ride badass bikes? They often worry—at least about you, have you eaten? Are you well? Why you never call? But who's to say they aren't heroic— maybe, just maybe, they have a darn good reason to worry about you and stay at home sipping chamomile tea. You would too if you if you uncovered an alien conspiracy in Chinatown or found out elves killed JFK while shopping at Walmart.
TL;DR I wrote this as a love letter to my 87 year-old grandma, who has survived wars, raised kids and saved the world countless times—but would never been caught dead wearing the same outfit twice.
My original concept was to make a game about overlooked people who actually are the ones who save the world. While this is a self-contained game, if this project is successful there will be future zines with more classes (angry uncles, street people, soccer moms/dads) and a full-length book.
Every few days we'll have new updates—photos playtesting with my grandma, sneak previews of moves and rules, philosophical essays on "obachan-ness" and hopefully, more art!
- ACHIEVED $750 Print upgrade! (Likely some Risograph HOT PINK)
- ACHIEVED $900 More art! 5 more portraits
- ACHIEVED $1000 Adventure Generator #2: Black Friday Apocalypse (the busiest shopping day of the year...a nuclear device...a portal to another world...and ninjas?)
- ACHIEVED New character class! The Ojichan! (Uncle)
- ACHIEVED 5+ more portraits and Cut-and-Play Standees (PDF printable, cut and paste, and hand color your own standees to your character sheet facing other players. One print copy on card stock will be included for all print backers!)
- ACHIEVED OSR Remix #1: Troika! 11 characters (yup!) POWERED BY THE OBACHAN
- ACHIEVED OSR Remix #2: Into the Odd! Chargen table and a Bastionland class POWERED BY THE OBACHAN
- ACHIEVED OSR Remix #3: GrandMothership! A new class, custom trinkets table and one page adventure for the sci-fi horrorgame POWERED BY THE OBACHAN
- ACHIEVED OSR Remix #4: B/X!
Risks and challenges
It's a zine. While playtest rules are ready, the main risk is printing and shipping. I have the support of a local Risograph center, but worst comes to worse, I own a Canon Color Imageclass MF733cdw and can print the thing myself. I also know how to hand-stitch zines and my mom is insanely good at crafting things (crochet expert and origami teacher), so one way or another a wonderfully handmade thing will appear in your hands. Regarding stretch goals, I'll fit as many as I can into print and any extras beyond that will go as a separate PDFs.
International Shipping: When you pledge it should show you the price based on your country. Some countries are higher than others, but this rate should average out and help with some added envelope padding. I reserve the right to refund or work with you on shipping if the postal service tells me that your country ends up being like $40 to ship to though, but I'll send you a note and we'll figure out a way to get it to you. :)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)