About this project
I want to buy ad space in cities around the country so that I can legally put ridiculous stuff up in ad space around the country and make our lives more fun.
Earlier this year, I bought ad space on 100 train cars in Chicago so that I could legally put important (and "fake") facts about squirrels in subway cars. The whole process got me thinking about just how much of our public space has been flooded with advertising, and how much fun it would be to use that space to do insert a little silliness and absurdity into people's days, so now I would like to expand this project nationally.
Here are some of the things I would like to do:
- Expand the #SquirrelTruth Campaign - Ads alerting the public to "facts" about squirrels. (Example: “FACT: Statistically speaking, at least one 'person' on any train is actually 7 squirrels wearing a human suit. Don’t be a victim. #SquirrelTruth.”) With enough support, we could put up new ads featuring these important facts in Chicago, New York, London, Toronto...anywhere!
- Continue the saga of "...Vanessa?" - More ads from someone pleading to “Vanessa” to take him back. (Example: “Vanessa, please take me back. I wear button down shirts now. It’s a good look for me, I think.”)
- Billboards - We'll buy space on billboards in cities around the country (and possibly the world?), and fill them with ridiculous stuff.
- Local TV Ad Spots - We'll make "ads" that aren't actually for any legitimate product or service, then put them on television.
- Sponsorship - It's amazing what kinds of events you can sponsor. I feel like we could really spread a lot of truth and awareness this way...
- Fortune Cookies - We'll partner with local restaurants to distribute some custom-made fortune cookies, with messages that I hope will really improve upon standard fortune fare.
- ...And More!
With the money raised from this campaign, we'll be able to explore fun new ways to bring comedy into people's lives in unique and unexpected places. The more money we raise, the more stuff we'll be able to do. Imagine how many days we could brighten, how many tourists we could confuse, how many awkward dates we could lend a source of conversation!
Our lives are perpetually overrun by advertisements. Marketing has permeated nearly every aspect of our culture—seriously, try to come up with a part of your daily routine that doesn’t involve branding—and so it’s no surprise that things like public transit rely heavily on ad revenues to provide humans with affordable transportation. We can’t stop this advertising onslaught, but we can take back just a tiny little bit of what we see—and make it super ridiculous and dumb.
So let's do this! Let's make the world a little sillier, a little more absurd, and a little more fun. Thank you!!!
Risks and challenges
There is always a chance of production delays, but I do not anticipate any significant obstacles or challenges with this project. Ultimately, the more money raised in this Kickstarter, the more we'll be able to do!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)