Organic Bed-Stuy will make organic grocery shopping convenient and affordable for Bedford Stuyvesant residents. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on August 9, 2010.
About this project
Organic Bed-Stuy will be an organic grocery store serving the Bedford Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn, NY. Bedford Stuyvesant is a community plagued by higher than normal rates of diabetes, obesity and heart disease. The lack of access to produce and healthy foods is a major cause of the higher than normal rates of illnesses.
Organic Bed-Stuy will cater to flexitarians. In order to assess the need and interest in an organic market, we conducted a survey which concluded that 53.1% of Bedford Stuyvesant’s residents identified themselves as flexitarians. They are meat eaters who are open to vegetarian options such as soy, non-dairy foods and tend to be health conscious. Many are usually in transition to becoming vegetarians. Catering to flexitarians will allow us to have food options for vegans, vegetarians and omnivores.
• Make organic grocery shopping convenient and affordable for Bed-Stuy residents.
• Offer fresh, healthy food options to the neighborhood.
• Talk to our customers, hear their requests and attempt to provide it
• Partner with farmers, organizations and companies with the goal of bringing local and organic foods to areas such as Bed-Stuy
• Work with children and families to teach healthier eating habits
• Work with our farming partner and others to create a work exchange so people can learn the process of growing their own food.
• Hold cooking and green product demonstrations to teach healthier habits.
We want to make Organic Bed-Stuy’s location welcoming and inviting to Bed-Stuy residents. The funds raised on Kickstarter will be used to renovate our store. We will purchase light fixtures, paint, wall shelves, a slat wall display, three door refrigerators, spot freezers and produce cases. In addition, we will purchase an attractive selection of wooden retail shelves, carts, baskets and displays that work well with the theme of an organic grocery store.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (54 days)