About this project
When we reach the funding goals below, backers will receive the following stretch goals.
You asked for it and here it is...
Strategy of War started out as a collectible card game, and really never gained much traction. We have listened to you, the players, and have decided to release this great game as a CARD GAME WITH EVERYTHING YOU NEED INCLUDED.
At the $40 level, you will have everything for 2-4 Commanders to play.
For a $40 pledge, you get 200 cards from the Strategy of War CORE Set.Yes, 200 cards of modern military power! No booster packs, no rare, uncommon, or common cards. Just a great multiplayer game for you and your friends.
The game is unchanged and we will release future sets in two-deck Battle Packs and Battle Expansions of 100–400 cards. BUY IT ONCE AND YOU HAVE ALL THE CARDS YOU NEED TO PLAY.
To keep everyone excited about this UPDATED Kickstarter project, we are starting it off with a bang and have added some great rewards.
All levels $40 and above will receive 3 EXCLUSIVE CARDS that will never be printed again. KICKSTARTER BACKERS ONLY!
Strategy of War is a turn-based card game that pits players against one another in pursuit of victory on the field of battle.
You command the forces of Aircraft, Infantry, Warship, Armor, and Politics as a military force of destruction. You can command:
- Aircraft Carriers
- M1A1 Abrams Tanks
- M240 MG Squads
- UH-60 Black Hawk Helicopters
- 688-class Submarines
- F/A 18 Hornet Fighters, and many more
You can use each of these divisions independently or combine them to create a formidable military force. You’ll have many assets at your disposal, including Units, Leaders, Attachments, and other tactics. You build a customized deck of 50 cards that utilize the powers of force and diplomacy all in an attempt to be the final Commander on the battlefield.
Strategy of War is a game based on the real United States Military. Each card includes real details about the equipment and game play Directives. The images are provided by the United States Military Combat Photographers.
The game has a battlefield with eight (8) locations. During the game, each Commander will draw an asset or deploy a Resource. Using these assets and Resources, you will deploy Units and use other strategies to capture enemy Base Locations. The first Commander to capture both enemy Commander Base Locations wins the game.
- Military Divisions: Commanders can use any combination of cards from the divisions of Aircraft, Armor, Infantry, Warship, and Politics.
- Modern Military Units: Over 100 ultra-modern military units in the CORE set to choose from including: Carriers, M1A1 Abrams Tanks, M240 MG Squads, UH-60 Black Hawk Helicopters, 688-class Submarines, F/A 18 Hornet Fighters, and many more.
- Leaders: Storm the battlefield with Leaders that can enhance your war effort and exploit your enemy’s weakness.
- Directives: Use Directives such as Assault, Extract, Initiative, Morale Failure, No Standby, Precision Fire, and many more.
- Real Tactical Battlefield: Utilize a real, tactical battlefield to engage Units with movement, range, attack, and defense using the exclusive MRAD Game System™.
- Multiplayer Battles: Built from the ground up for multi-player battles. Engage 2-6 Commanders in Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, Negotiation, Sudden Death, and many more.
What can you expect from the Fadescape Team for future expansions? From the start, we designed Strategy of War to allow for future expansion and expandability.
- Expansions: World War I, World War II, Vietnam War, Battle of the Bulge, D-Day, Eastern Front, and others.
- Battle Packs: Special Forces, Underwater Warfare, Spies, On All Fronts, and The Dead of Winter.
The cards above are an example of future expansions we are working on. Once you learn the base game mechanics, the game play can be used on any type of war or theme. We will look to our backers to find out what expansions they want to see and we will release them as expansion decks or sets.
Strategy of War Core Battle Set contains:
- 200 total cards
- 4 ready to play Campaign Decks
- Quickstart Guide
In the box are 4 ready to play CAMPAIGN DECKS. These are decks designed to give you a great introduction to the game.
Download the full rules for Strategy of War or choose the ~~LIEUTENANT ($100)~~ level and above to have a fully printed, spiral bound, manual.
Before the manual goes to print, our backers names will be added to the last page. Note: Backer names will be organized by pledge level with the highest level, "Major", appearing first.
WHAT NEEDS TO BE COMPLETED?
As you can see from the web
site, most everything is ready to go. Once I have funding, I will send
the cards off to the printer and get the CORE Set Box printed.
We expect printing to be completed March - 2013. We do hope that we can get your cards much sooner. I will keep everyone updated with the progress from the printer.
WHAT IS MY PLEDGE PAYING FOR?
All the funds from this Kickstarter project will be used to print and ship boxes. If we exceed our goal, we will print more CORE Set Boxes to lower the costs and make the cards cheaper for you. You will see these savings passed along to you in the form of stretch rewards (see below).
Pledges will also help with shipping rewards.
If you support the game, Strategy of War, we are offering some great exclusives for our Kickstarter backers. All cards will have the “1ST EDITION” imprint.
- CORE Battle Set - This is the base game of 200 cards. Includes 4 ready to play decks to start playing right away. Get the CORE Battle Set at the ~~CORPORAL ($40)~~ level.
- Kickstarter Exclusive Battle Pack - 3 exclusive Kickstarter cards. These cards will never be printed again! Starts at the~~CORPORAL ($40)~~level.
- 10-Sided Dice - Beautiful Olympic Pearlized 10-sided dice to help you keep score. Starts at the~~CORPORAL ($40)~~level.
- Game Manual - A signed copy, printed in full color, and spiral bound with your name printed in the credits. Starts at the~~LIEUTENANT ($100)~~level.
- Signed Card - A signed, exclusive, Kickstarter card. Starts at the ~~LIEUTENANT ($100)~~level.
- Uncut Sheet - Limited Edition, signed, uncut sheet of 54 cards. Starts at the ~~COLONEL ($250)~~ level.
- FUTURE EXPANSIONS, BATTLE PACKS, AND REINFORCEMENT PACKS - Receive Strategy of War products we release before they hit retail shelves! Starts at the ~~COLONEL ($250)~~ level.
- FREE shipping in the USA.
- See individual reward levels for all other shipping locations.
- Kickstarter rewards will be shipped first!
- 9/25/12 - ADDED A $100 LEVEL FOR INTERNATIONAL BACKERS
- 9/20/12 - T-SHIRT AND REINFORCEMENT CARDS AT THE 20K STRETCH LEVEL!
- 9/15/12 - ADDED FOILS TO THE STRETCH GOALS!
- 8/25/12 - COLONEL & MAJOR GENERAL UPDATES - We made these levels even better! Added an extra printed manual, more Kickstarter Sets, and more uncut sheets. Check the reward level image at the end of this page for details.
- 8/25/12 - NEW ~~CAPTAIN~~ Level $160 - This is a limited level that provides game groups 4 boxes... AT LEAST 4 OF EVERYTHING. But don't wait; it's a LIMITED LEVEL with FREE Shipping!
- 8/20/12 - Extended International Shipping - International backers have been really great, so we want to extend the level for anyone that missed it the first time around.
- 8/12/12 - Signed Cards - Pledge Levels $100 and above will receive 3x Signed Cards not 2x. A survey will go out at the end of the project of what cards we will sign from the CORE Set. (You can also have the cards not signed if you prefer).
- 8/8/12 - International Shipping - We added a $50 backer level for international backers. Get everything at the $40 level and shipped anywhere! Please note we had to limit it to 25 backers.
- 8/8/12 - Printed Manual - If you would like a full color, spiral bound, printed manual at ANY backer level please add $8 to your pledge for each manual needed. The CORE Set Box does include a quickstart guide.
Follow us on Kicktraq!
Follow the Strategy of War Project for trending, tracking, & more.
Kicking it Forward!
Risks and challenges
Risk #1: Anytime you are working with a printer, you never know where you will be placed in their queue. This is our only risk as they will supply the CORE Set Box. We hope that we will be able to ship product next year around March.
At this point we have a contract and a quote from the printer. The printer has printed many other successful Kickstarter projects and big name products (e.g. Summoner Wars), with really great quality, hence the reason we chose them.
Risk #2: Quality control. If the printer sends product that we deem unsatisfactory, an entire review cycle needs to go through each time. This WILL add days to the project. We always hope for the highest quality, and when printing in such large quantities, it's best to get it done correctly and spend the extra days, instead of sending out low quality product.
Risk #3 - Dice will be drop shipped to the printer's factory in Shenzhen, so we are not sure if there will be any issues getting that part of the product complete. The dice will be supplied by another manufacturer.
Challenges: All other design related aspects are complete and print ready. We are having a few of our backers test the demo cards before we print so that they are game ready for the final release.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
The plan is to print the minimum CORE boxes required for this Kickstarter project. The rest of the boxes will then go on sale at Amazon. Once sold out, the boxes will no longer be “Limited Edition”.
The CORE Boxes will be available only AFTER all the Kickstarter backers receive their copies (probably March, 2013 – hopefully sooner).
Any left-over Kickstarter Only rewards will be handed out for free to our first and largest reward backers starting out at the $100 level. Since these cards won’t be printed again we want to make sure that our backers get any and all extra cards available.
Any additional funds or profit from this Kickstarter project will go into advertising and printing the very first Strategy of War expansion.
To keep costs down and be able to complete this Kickstarter project, we identified what was absolutely necessary to get the game into players’ hands. Adding the full color, 70-page manual to every box would have nearly doubled the Kickstarter goal.
Every CORE Box includes a Quickstart guide. This is enough to get started and learn the game.
Players that want more details about the game can download the extended manual from the Strategy of War Web site. This is not your standard manual; it has an index, table of contents, examples, and even other game types. Instead of adding a standard, poorly printed game manual (like most games), we chose to allow players to download a PDF. In the future, or when we have more funding, we will include the manual in a Master Set Box.
As an option, you can add $8 to your pledge for a printed game manual.
Exclusive Kickstarter cards will never be printed again. At each level, you will receive several copies of the 3 cards. More cards will be added as stretch rewards!
At the $40 level, you will receive 6 total cards.
At the $80 level, you will receive 9 total cards.
At the $100 level, you will receive 12 total cards.
At the $160 level, you will receive 36 total cards (limited level).
FREE shipping in the U.S. All other locations please include the shipping cost displayed on the pledge. For example if you are international and choose the $100 level, please pledge $150 and choose the $100 reward.
No, these cards will appear in future expansions and sets. However, you will be the first to own the cards with the "1st Edition" print.
With the CORE Set you can play up to 4 players, although the game can play up to 6 or more. Check this page for information about Team Battle: http://www.strategyofwar.com/boot-camp/team-battle-overview
3+ commanders can play in; Allies, Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, Sudden Death, and Survival.
The only issue with 4+ commanders is the amount of space required for each person to have their own HQ Pile, Resources, etc. If your group of players can handle the amount of cards on the table (as it can get complex) you can play as many players as your playing area can handle.
Yes! the game manual will be sold on amazon.com for $12.95. This is the same manual that will have all of our backer names printed in the back.
A few cards in the stretch rewards will have foil printing on the card. This foil printing will be silver or gold and will generally be used on the card title, the card class, and other small areas of the card.
These foil cards can still be used to play in the game, but many players will choose to collect them as they are a very unique collectible!
Support this project
- (60 days)