VIUD: the Virtually Indestructible USB Drive
VIUD: the Virtually Indestructible USB Drive
The VIUD has been carefully designed, precision CNC machined, and ridiculously tested to be called the world's toughest USB drive.
The VIUD has been carefully designed, precision CNC machined, and ridiculously tested to be called the world's toughest USB drive. Read more
The VIUD's KickStarter campaign is over and while our funding was not successful it was an educating experience and we received great feedback. A big thank-you to all our supporters! We're going back to the drawing board to figure out how reduce the cost to manufacture the VIUD while still keeping it as the world's toughest USB drive.
Keep your eye on www.viud.net for all the latest information and news on the VIUD!
The VIUD (Virtually Indestructible USB Drive) has been designed to earn the title of "the World's Toughest USB drive" and we have the tests to prove it! Able to withstand ridiculous pressures, extreme temperatures, high forces, crazy accelerations, and unbelievable drop-heights it is everything you would expect to find in something worthy of that title.
The VIUD comes in two basic styles: anodized Aluminum and Titanium. The Titanium model is significantly stronger and more rugged but otherwise the two versions are identical. The Titanium model comes in one color and the Aluminum model will be available in four colours (Dark Red, Dark Green Dark Blue, and Black) which you can choose after the project is funded.
The VIUD's USB is your typical USB 3.0 flash drive that will work in most computers and is backwards compatible to USB 2.0 for older computers. Read speeds can reach up to 170 MB/s and write speeds up to 100 MB/s.
Several VIUD prototypes have undergone ridiculous testing to prove that they can survive the most extreme environments.
Some abuses include:
- Pressurized to a water depth of 2 km (1.2 miles)
- Driven over
- Stress tested to 3 tons
- Boiled for 1 hour
- Cooked at 200°C (390°F) for 10 minutes
- Placed in a wood fire for 1 minute
- Heated in a 2000°C (3600°F) flame for 30 seconds
Hit with a bat
- Fired at wood/stone targets at 100 km/h (60 m/h)
- Endured over 2000 Gs of acceleration
Basically everything you probably shouldn't do to a USB flash drive.
- Two models constructed with high strength Aluminum and Titanium
- Aluminum model is hard anodized for further protection
- USB 3.0 capacities of 16, 32, 64, 128, and 256 GB (USB 2.0 compatible)
- Magnetic cap and base for cap storage
- Knurled areas for improved grip for opening and closing
- Epoxy filled for maximum protection to the USB circuit board
- Hole on cap for key chain or lanyard mount (includes a triangle and split-chain ring)
- Laser engraved logo and serial number
- Size: 0.9 x 0.9 x 3" (23 x 23 x 77 mm)
- Weight: 68 g (Al), 94 g (Ti)
- Case Materials: Aluminum 7068-T6511, Titanium Grade 5
- Case Coating: Aluminum Hard Coat Anodizing (Type III)
- Aluminum Colours: Dark Red, Dark Green, Dark Blue, Black
- Titanium Colours: Natural
- USB: 3.0 (2.0 compatible)
- Read Speeds: 45-175 MB/s (depends on capacity)
Write Speeds: 25-100 MB/s (depends on capacity)
- Pressure Rating: 3000 psi (20.7 MPa, 2 km water depth)
- End-to-End Load Rating: 3 tons
- Side Load Rating: 2 tons
- Operating Temperature: -20 to 50 °C
- Storage Temperature: -40 to 70 °C
- Temperature Rating: 100 °C for 60 minutes, 200 °C for 10 minutes, 500 °C for 60 sec, 2000 °C for 30 sec
- Shock Rating: 1600 G
- Drop Height: 50 m (164 ft)
Note that all ratings are with the cap on unless specified. For more details see the complete VIUD technical specifications.
Making the drives in small quantities is ridiculously expensive so a minimum quantity of about 150 is needed to make them more reasonably priced. This is roughly a $25k investment which I don't wish to make without some indication that the VIUD might actually be successful. KickStarter is the perfect platform to try and raise the money needed for the minimum number with no risk if it fails.
All rewards include a VIUD, a 1.5 ft USB 3.0 extension cable, triangle ring, split-chain ring, several spare o-rings, and shipping anywhere in the world with a Canada Post tracked package.
Colours for the Aluminum VIUDs can be chosen after launch. The extension cable is included as the VIUD is a little larger than most USB drives and may not fit in some recessed or closely spaced USB slots.
Shipping to anywhere in the world with a tracked Canada Post package is included in the price of each reward. While the stated delivery time is February 2015 I would like to start getting units shipped out before Christmas in early December 2014 but this depends on an optimistic estimate on how quickly each supplier in the manufacturing chain can get things done.
All parts have an unlimited warranty for one year and a limited lifetime warranty. If you have any problems with a unit simply let us know with an email to email@example.com and we'll work with you to return the defective unit for either repair or replacement. We'd love to how how or why the VIUDs fail in order to improve its design and reliability.
I started creating the VIUD more than two years ago but it has been a part time project I only worked on when I've had time. The past few months, however, I've begun working full time on the project in preparation for this KickStarter campaign.
The VIUD blog (www.viud.net) has a lot of information and articles I've written about my quest for the VIUD over the past year and a half. The VIUD YouTube channel also contains some videos showing the various testing it has gone through.
Risks and challenges
Most of the technical risks have been eliminated or greatly reduced by the large amount of design and testing of several prototypes over the past two years. A complete test run of the final prototype was done in early 2014 to reduce the risk of any unknown issues related to the suppliers and assembly of the VIUD. The biggest known risk at this time remains the challenge of dealing with multiple vendors and their variable delivery lead times in order to complete the assembly and testing of the product to be shipped in time, especially if more than the expected number of VIUDs are ordered.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)