Campthat's creators, Bobby and Brian, created Campthat because we love camping and were unhappy with existing web and mobile technologies for outdoor enthusiasts. Simple tasks like finding an available campsite that has access to showers or locating a good backcountry campsite can require hours of research on crummy, poorly designed websites that have crummy, poor information. We knew we could build something better. Something that would make it easier to find places to camp, save time and energy, and empower people to experience better camping. So we made Campthat.
Campthat is a web and mobile technology for easily discovering great camping experiences. It is available on the web and soon apps for iPhone and Android. Bobby and Brian spent months designing, coding, testing, reworking, and re-testing the prototype with hundreds of campers in Michigan. You can play with the Michigan prototype website at campthat.com. It's just a baby and we're really excited about its future.
Now we're ready to roll out a more polished experience, expand to all 50 states, and build a companion mobile app for iPhone and Android. Here's a taste of what Campthat will offer:
The right campground, in seconds. Campthat lets you discover campgrounds with exactly what you're looking for. Find campgrounds near your destination that have showers. Or places that other campers like. See which campsites are available next weekend. Or learn which places your friends camped at and liked.
Insanely great camping information. Campthat offers photos, reviews, maps, campground features, reservation highlights, and relevant information that isn't readily available anywhere else. Campthat's team researches and creates some information. The rest is provided by users or collected from government databases.
The most advanced camping tech in the Cloud. Campthat is built around smart software and design. It will learn thousands of data points about each campground to create a camping genome for each place and state. It will learn what you like and adapt campground recommendations to your personal preferences. We envision that Campthat will also learn where individual campsites are, map them out, and know which campsites are bookable or vacant in real time. The result: better camping. Yay!
Perfect for when you're on the go. When you're on the road and looking for a place to camp, Google often doesn't cut it. Campthat mobile will let you find suitable places you can camp nearby and will tell you how to book it and get there. (There are other apps promise this. The problem is - they don't work.)
Built for camper happiness. Everyone on the Campthat team is an outdoor enthusiast. We're building the product we always wanted and testing it with thousands of other campers to make sure it's simple, intuitive, and a joy to use.
Karma through community. Campthat makes it easy to see what other campers thought about campgrounds, exchange tips, see where friends have camped, plan group trips, and engage people you camp with like never before.
The people behind Campthat
Brian Flaherty: "I've really enjoyed camping since I started doing it a few years ago while I was a law student at the University of Michigan. But I was surprised how tedious it was to find good information about places to camp. When Bobby came to me with the idea for Campthat, I realized that it could solve an annoying problem that affects a lot of campers. I knew that with my background in startups and Bobby's technical chops, we could make Campthat a reality. It took me a few months to learn how to code, but now I'm an intermediate web developer and on my way to becoming a real hacker, which is fun and challenging. I'm really excited about how far we've come in just a few months and now we're on the verge of delivering an awesome app that's going to bring delight to outdoor enthusiasts."
Bobby Cooper: "I started Campthat with Brian because I had terrible experiences with other camping websites and I knew we could make something better. My background is in software development and leading product development teams. I'm a pretty lucky guy to have Brian on the team. As a lawyer and business school grad he takes care of all the ugly legal mumbo jumbo and business development so I can focus more on the product. I was trained at the University of Michigan's engineering school."
Let's change camping forever! If this campaign is successful, here is what we'll do and when:
1. Make Campthat available in all US states by Spring 2014. We did it on a smaller scale in Michigan, so we know how to do it in other states. It will require building a huge database of campground information, but with your backing, we will have all the resources we need to get it done.
2. Roll out the mobile app for iPhone & Android by Spring 2014. Once Campthat is available in all 50 states, we will release a comprehensive mobile app for US camping.
3. Fulfill all the rewards. Yes! We will give you what you're paying for.
Great things we plan to add to Campthat in the near future:
1. Real-time reservation information. Campthat will provide real-time information about which campsites are available on what dates. This will require government cooperation and we all know how quickly that goes. :) That being said, having real-time reservation info is extremely important to the developers and will be a top priority.
2. Beautiful campground maps. We'll create beautiful, interactive maps of each campground, its campsites, and maybe even nearby trails, activities, and points of interest.
3. Photos, reviews, & tips for campgrounds. We'll send people out into the field to ensure that, in time, most or all campgrounds will have photos, reviews, tips, and complete information easily accessible online.
Questions? Doubts? Suggestions?
Shoot Brian an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or a message on Kickstarter.