About this project
OUR SUPERFOOD STORY:
SAKU started as a tea bar in our friend Chelsea’s gallery in Bellingham, Washington. It grew out of our love for tea, beauty and warm hospitality. A couple of years ago, we sold our cottage and packed our bags. We took off with our two daughters for a year of shoestring adventures & travel. The idea of SAKU was born during our journey.
When we opened, we were fortunate to be recognized by local gourmets, critics and customers for the quality & soul we put into everything. They especially enjoyed our innovative collection of latte blends, structured around organic superfood ingredients such as Turmeric, Beetroot, Matcha & other healing spices. Our superfood lattes became a hit & the top seller at SAKU!
Answering to repeated requests, we started packaging for retail and wholesale, providing our local food co-op and a couple of cafes with our blends. This has been a big success, so now, with our good friend Steve on board to help navigate our growth and manage our operations, we are ready to expand. We are here on KICKSTARTER to raise funds so we can finance the next steps!
That's where YOU come in! Your pledge, at any level, will go far toward helping us achieve our goals ...
WHAT WE HOPE TO ACHIEVE:
- Get the equipment we need to increase capacity for production and packaging.
- Purchase bulk ingredients at discounted larger volumes.
- Get professionally designed retail packaging for our blends.
- Pay for organic certification.
- Register for bar codes.
- Market our unique products via samples, demos, pop-ups, advertising and taking part in trade shows.
- Create an e-commerce website to handle online retail and wholesale purchases.
OUR SIX SUPERFOOD LATTE BLENDS:
GOLDEN CHAI - organic turmeric latte blend
The power of turmeric & a perfectly balanced mixture of masala spices. This blend is aromatic and savory, with a gentle, warming kick.
GOLDEN ORANGE - organic turmeric latte blend
The power of turmeric & a bright, fragrant mixture of orange & spices. Coconut provides a smooth, creamy texture.
RUBY GINGER - organic beetroot latte blend
The nourishing benefits of beetroot & coconut in a rich, velvety blend with a perfect zing from ginger and cinnamon. Naturally sweet and delicious!
RUBY COCOA - organic beetroot latte blend
The nourishing benefits of beetroot & raw cacao in a deep, comforting blend with perfectly balanced aromatic spices. Naturally sweet and delicious!
VANILLA MAPLE JADE - organic matcha latte blend
Nutty maple syrup crystals & pure vanilla make this blend irresistible. Our premium matcha is shade grown at high altitudes in Aichi, Japan.
MACA COCOA JADE - organic matcha latte blend
Earthy, malty and packed with goodness, this is a perfect blend to get you moving! Matcha is nutritious & delicious + it focuses and energizes.
PREPARE THEM AT HOME:
1 - Measure SAKU blend into a cup.
2 - Add sweetener if desired.
3 - Heat or froth milk.
4 - Add a splash of hot milk and mix thoroughly.
5 - Blend in the rest of the milk.
- For the Ruby and Gold blends - one teaspoon per 12 ounces
- For the Jade blends - one teaspoon per 8 ounces
Experiment with the balance of milk-blend-sweetener to suit your preference.
You can use any type of milk or milk alternative. We love organic oat milk.
Heat milk: about 160 degrees is a good temperature.
Texture & froth milk (optional): use a steam wand, a frother, a frother wand, a blender or by shaking vigorously in a jar.
Sweeten: To your taste and with anything you like! We like maple syrup with both Jade blends & the Ruby Cocoa. Honey with the Ruby Ginger & the Golds.
WHAT WE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED:
- Developed organic, perfectly balanced and scrumptious blends.
- Created a gorgeous and atmospheric tea bar with the best customers ever.
- Searched the world for a steady supply of the absolute best, freshest, organic and ethical ingredients.**
- Applied for food processing and packaging licenses which allows us to package and wholesale our products outside of the shop.
- Found awesome designers who have already started to develop our retail packaging.
- Started selling our blends at the local Co-op and coffee shops.
** We are currently working with amazing suppliers, but our ultimate intent is to go where our ingredients are grown and directly engage with the farmers who produce them. We believe in a profitable business, AND we are deeply passionate about the health of people and the planet. We intend to develop a socially responsible network of beyond-organic, regenerative, well-earning farmers and producers who work directly with us.
Isabelle & Ian: "We like the mild caffeine in the matcha & how it combines with cocoa."
Karen: "Feels like a treat to have any of the latte blends!”
Olga: "The Ruby Cocoa is my favorite. It tastes wonderful and makes me feel great!"
Charm & Dan: "Wonderful & delicious! A healthy & delicious drink. Energizing, stimulating & beautiful.”
Kiira: "I love the flavors of the Golden Chai, but it is my mom's absolute favorite!"
Janet: "Deeply nourishing, restorative & delicious. Rich & satisfying flavors!”
- caffeine avoiders and reducers
- anyone interested in a healthful alternative
- morning coffee drinkers looking for a comforting afternoon beverage
- health conscious people who appreciate warm cups of superfood
- cafes, restaurants, grocery stores, offices & homes
- after yoga, before bed, by the campfire, at a meeting, during a movie, while reading, in the morning, at the office, after meditation
- smoothies, yogurt, ice cream, oatmeal, cookies, ...
We intend to share our superfood latte blends with the world!
On Kickstarter, we hope to raise capital while building a community of like-minded individuals! Kickstarter enables us to raise the funds we need and to build a network of engaged customers who care about our story at the same time.
We have worked hard to develop a product line we are proud of, our recipes are ready, our production team is eager, and our elbows are greased! All we need is YOU so we can kickstart the engine, get everything rolling, and pay for and deliver the first big production run.
MORE THAN FINANCIAL SUPPORT:
Thank you for checking out our story! If you can back us with a pledge, WONDERFUL! We love you! If you can’t join in financially? We get it! You can still help! Share our story with friends, family, co-workers, and your social media universe! Tell anyone you think might be interested. The more people who see this page, the healthier our world becomes! We’d love to hear from you.
WHAT IF WE RAISE MORE THAN OUR GOAL:
- We'll reach out & market to even more shops, cafes & grocery stores.
- We'll create a more dynamic and professional online presence.
- We'll build our dream assembly space.
- We will start the process of working directly with organic, fair trade farmers to source our ingredients.
Risks and challenges
Please keep in mind that a shipping cost is added to your pledge at checkout.
• Completion of Kickstarter (May 31st)
• Ordering supplies, ingredients, packing and getting ready to ship (June 2-30)
• Shipping of rewards (July 1st)
We are proud of our team of tea masters, farmers, alchemists, designers, business people, and dreamers. We feel confident that we'll deliver an amazing product on time. We've all been working hard and will continue to!
Our greatest risk is to get behind schedule, but we have a solid plan in place and all the wheels are turning in time for a successful delivery of goods! We would like to apologize beforehand in the unlikely event of any changes in schedule and promise to be as transparent as possible and communicate efficiently should issues arise!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (34 days)