GET your PEBBLE KNIGHTED with KNIGHT the ADC aluminum armor.
GET your PEBBLE KNIGHTED with KNIGHT the ADC aluminum armor.
I love my PEBBLE so much that I decided to "Knight" it with an aluminum armor.
I love my PEBBLE so much that I decided to "Knight" it with an aluminum armor. Read more
Knight will be manufactured using Die Casting high strength, high definition Aluminum Alloy. This specific alloy is called ADC12.
Knight special design allows the Bluetooth signal to work without any inconvenience.
KNIGHT: the aluminum armor for the Pebble watch
The back of KNIGHT is completely open to allow the Bluetooth signal communication with your Pebble, after testing it we did not have any problem with phone/Pebble communication.
Use your charging cable to charger your Pebble Knight. For production, we will increase the size of the metal surface amplifying the attraction effect of the magnets located in the charger. These magnets drive the charger into position allowing the charging of the battery. In the video you will notice the charging icon of charging turning on when the charger is engage and off when the charger is been remove from the Pebble.
I proudly supported the Pebble watch through its Kickstarter campaign a few years ago. The love for my pebble watch has motivated me to create a custom armor system to protect and enhance it. I have dedicated a significant amount of time over the past few months designing; engineering and prototyping this protective armor for the Pebble and have recently coordinated production, quality control and logistics through an expert partner, Align Machine Works (www.alignmachineworks.com).
I NEED you, Pebble lovers, to help me get the initial manufacturing started by becoming a backer for my project and by sharing this project with every single Pebble lover that you know.
We are working with Align Machine Works to produce Production Level Tooling, Manufacturing, Quality Control, Freight Logistics and Distribution in the US.Align Machine Works' specializes in helping companies with international manufacturing and supply chain management as well as quality development and enforcement. Align Machine Works' expertise in manufacturing will ensure the seamless and timely development of the Pebble Knight, from Tooling Ramp Up through inbound Freight and Distribution to our backers.
For this project: We will make the tooling from production steel, using both EDM and CNC milling. EDM stands for Electical Discharge Machining. EDM is an efficient way to make high quality, precision tooling. EDM is a manufacturing process where a desired shape is obtained using electrical discharges (sparks). (The files are engineered and ready to go)
- Material is removed from the tool by a series of rapidly recurring current discharges between two electrodes, separated by a dielectric liquid that is subject to an electric voltage. One of the electrodes is called the tool-electrode, or simply the ‘tool’ or ‘electrode’, while the other is called the workpiece-electrode.
- In addition to EDM, the tooling will also be produced through CNC milling.The CNC (Computer Numeric Control) mill process is another way to make high quality/precision tooling.A mill machine takes computer code from a CAD file and interprets that in to a number of coordinates, or paths, that the mill travels to cut out the desired shape.
- This process is going to take close to 4 weeks.
Below is a photo from Align Machine Works of EDM in action:
Below is another photo from Align Machine Works of a CNC milled part.
- Once the tools are complete, the parts will be made from a Die Casting process. Die Casting is similar to injection molding, but where injection molding processes plastic, die casting typically processes aluminum or aluminum alloys. For the Pebble Knight, we are Die Casting a material called ADC12, which is a high strength, high definition Aluminum Alloy. Align Machine Works has produced many Die Cast parts made from this alloy and they have the expertise to manufacture the Pebble Knight and complete the finishing (polishing, anodizing, packaging).
- The Die Casting of the parts will provably take 3 to 4 weeks depending on the quantity.
- Once the tools are complete and the parts are manufactured, Align Machine Works will put the parts through a statistically significant, 15 point quality check. The quality check will ensure that the parts being manufactured and shipped are exactly what we need. Align Machine Works will check the fit and function of the parts, ensure the materials and finishes are correct and will check the packaging and export requirements to ensure the parts are shipped to the US effectively and timely.
- Quantity control will take approximately 1 week.
- Align Machine Works global freight forwarding network will then transport the parts from Asia to the US.
- Shipment from China to US 3- 5 weeks (In this way we can keep our shipping cost low)
- Once parts arrive in the US, Align Machine Works' Freight Forwarding Network will process the parts through US Customs and deliver them to the Align Machine Works distribution center. Align Machine Work's distribution center will handle all of the shipping and outbound freight to our backers, getting parts shipped out in a timely and efficient manner.
- US Customs & Shipment to backers in the US 1-2 weeks
Get your Pebble KNIGHTED!
Protect your Pebble with KNIGHT aluminum armor.
This is how you can protect your Pebble watch with the KNIGHT aluminum armor.
Wide Black leather for your KNIGHT
Why do we need your help?
We already designed and engineered; now we need your help to make it real.
Please share my project with all your Pebble lover friends and help me make KNIGHT a reality.
The Silver Knight will protect the honor and integrity of your Pebble watch.
The Black KNIGHT will defend and intimidate malicious scratches from reaching your Pebble watch.
The Red Knight will protect by attacking anything that gets too close to your Pebble watch.
Risks and challenges
We have spent the last couple of months designing, developing, testing and retesting the Knight. Now it's ready for a smooth transition in to manufacturing. After SLA models, we evaluated the performance and tolerances of the part in order to create the metal components. We collaborated with ours supply chain to create 2 sets of prototypes: one made of aluminum and one made of stainless steel. These metal prototypes have given us an immense advantage to learn about final assembly and durability as well as testing the KNIGHT in the field. The feedback that we have received has been very positive and that is why we have decided to make this project.
Our manufacturer has tremendous experience in die casting as well as finishing and anodized processes. Our international partner, Align Machine Works, is helping us coordinate all of the manufacturing, quality control and logistics to ensure success and on time delivery.
- (30 days)