Seymour Chwast is a design legend. As co-founder with Milton Glaser of Push Pin Studios, he led a revolution in graphic design in the 1960s and '70s, producing bold, vibrant work that pushed the limits of nearly every visual medium.
Now, he turns his pen and sketchpad toward creating a new book on a subject that has been a personal obsession for nearly six decades: the fight against war, humankind's never-ending scourge.
Join Seymour in his fight and help us publish his new book of powerful antiwar images, Seymour Chwast at War with War: An Illustrated Timeline of 5000 Years of Conquests, Invasions, and Terrorist Attacks.
To thank you for supporting this project to which he's passionately committed, Seymour Chwast is opening the doors to his archive of new and vintage posters, prints, original drawings, and much more. If you choose a reward that includes a copy of At War with War, your name will appear in Seymour’s acknowledgments in the book. See our illustrated descriptions on this page of all rewards.
About At War with War
At War with War visualizes humanity’s 5,000-year-long state of conflict, chaos, and violence on a continuous timeline. Seventy pages of stark black-and-white pen-and-ink drawings and woodcuts illustrate history’s most notorious battles — from 3300 BCE to the present day.
Interspersed are contemplations on war from historic thinkers, including excerpts from “The Art of War” by Sun Tsu, “The Complaint of Peace” by Desiderius Erasmus, and “The State” by Randolph Bourne.
Searing and sardonic, balancing anger and despair with wit and humanity, these raw illustrations follow in the tradition of great social satirists such as Honoré Daumier, Frans Masereel, Felix Vallotton, and Otto Dix.
Seymour’s desire was to present his reaction to war in its purest form. To put his gut on the page. To set aside his interest in color and mixed media and use what would allow him to focus on the ideas alone: marker on paper; just black on white. His technique serves the content and the intention — to viscerally connect with the audience and bring front and center the horror and waste that is war. — Steven Heller, graphic design writer and editor of At War with War.
At War with War Specifications
- Designed by Seymour Chwast
- Edited by Steven Heller
- Introduction by Victor Navasky, former editor and publisher of The Nation
- Production and printing overseen by Jerry Kelly, a founder of the Kelly-Winterton Press and graphic design author
- 6.6 x 9.5 inches, 88 pages, 35 original illustrations, hardcover
- 2-color (red and black) letterpress (text)
- 1-color (black) offset (images)
- 3 matched colors (black, yellow, and red) offset (cover)
- Paper: Opaque Smooth White 100# Text
- Endpapers: Rainbow Antique deep red 80#
- Binding: Three-piece binding with color printed paper sides, Smythe sewn, red cloth spine, flatback, spine stamped in black
To give you some additional help in navigating the list of 50 (and counting!) rewards from Seymour (Kickstarter arranges rewards by price in the column on the right), we've grouped them below into categories by type.
- Vintage periodicals, including issues of Push Pin Graphic, The Nose, and Design & Style
- At War with War (“The Book”) early backer and other offers
- Books by Seymour Chwast on his work
- Antiwar and other giclée (digital) prints of iconic posters
- Original typography drawings and prints
- Original posters, many rare
- Original sketches & drawings
- One-of-a-kind and special items
Every reward that includes a copy of At War with War will feature your name on the book's acknowledgments page.
(Shipping is calculated separately on each reward. We will use an expert fine art-shipping company to send all materials.)
If you would like multiple rewards or to combine items from different reward categories, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
For $15, choose from 2 different issues of The Nose, published biannually from 1997 to 2009, designed and illustrated by Seymour Chwast and edited by Steven Heller. Designed to draw attention to social issues, each issue was devoted to a different theme.
For $23, choose from 2 different issues of the groundbreaking Push Pin Graphic.
Started in 1957 by Push Pin Studios as a freeform publication sent to friends and clients, Push Pin Graphic quickly developed a dedicated following, running for 23 years and 86 issues. Art directed and designed by Seymour Chwast.
For $129, choose from 6 different issues of the Design & Style series.
You get a copy of At War with War, too.
The biannual journal Design & Style, designed by Seymour Chwast, presented great design movements of the 20th century as resource and inspiration for contemporary designers. Each issue (10 1/2 x 12 1/2 in., about 30 pages) used various production techniques, including die cutting, inserts, and pop-ups.
The “Book” — At War with War Offers
All book offers include your name on the book’s acknowledgments page.
Early Backer Specials: we're offering special prices on copies of "At War with War" (unsigned) to our earliest and most committed backers. The earliest backers get the best discounts!
- For $52: Early Backer Special 1 - limited to the first 100 copies backed
- For $56: Early Backer Special 2 - limited to 150 copies
- For $60: Early Backer Special 3 - limited to 200 copies
- For $64: Early Backer Special 4 - limited to 250 copies
For $68: “The Book” - unlimited
For $89: One copy of At War with War, signed by Seymour Chwast and stamped on the title page with his famous self-portrait in profile “logo” (see below) - unlimited
For $92: 1 copy of At War with War (unsigned) plus signed giclée (digital) print of front cover (8 1/2 x 11 in.) - unlimited
For $99: 1 copy of At War with War, signed by Seymour Chwast and stamped on the title page with his famous self-portrait in profile “logo” (see above) plus “OpArt,” giclée print, 8 1/2 x 11 in., of an illustration by Seymour Chwast for the first issue of "3x3" magazine (2003), signed by Seymour. - unlimited
For $136: 3-Book Special: Three copies of At War with War (unsigned) for the price of two. Get one for yourself, one for a friend, and one to give to your favorite library! - unlimited
For $340: Special Offer for Independent Bookstores: 10 copies of At War with War (unsigned). Bonus: Seymour will draw a black-and-white portrait of one of your purchasers of a copy of the book in your store! Limited to 10. Please contact us for details: email@example.com
Books by Seymour Chwast on His Work
You get a copy of At War with War, too (signed, with the first two below).
Antiwar and Other Giclée (Digital) Prints by Seymour Chwast
For $29: giclée print, 8 1/2 x 11 in., of At War with War front cover (see “Book Offers,” above, for cover image), signed by Seymour Chwast. Does not include the book.
For $33: giclée print, 8 1/2 x 11 in., of “OpArt,” an illustration by Seymour Chwast for the first issue of 3x3 magazine, signed by Seymour. Does not include the book.
All giclée prints described below are signed by Seymour Chwast and include a copy of At War with War with your name on the book’s acknowledgments page. The book is unsigned (see *exception below).
Left to right (above):
- “The World’s Finest Marijuana Packaging,”giclée print, 18 x 24 in., of original 1975 illustration for Rolling Stone magazine.
- “Reefer Madness,”giclée print, 18 x 24 in., of 1994 design for cover of The Atlantic magazine.
Left to right (above):
- “Overcast 2,” giclée print,18 x 24 in. of 2008 drawing.
- “Overcast 7,” giclée print, 18 x 24 in., of 2008 drawing.
- “Tanks, Planes and Parachutes,” giclée print, , 18 x 24 in., of 2005 drawing.
*For the FIRST 50 BACKERS of “Very Rich” and “Think Big,” the book will be signed by Seymour Chwast and stamped on the title page with his unique self-portrait in profile “logo.”
Left to right (above):
- “Very Rich," giclée print, 18 x 24 in., of a “Chwast’s Quote," a notable quote from Donald Trump, illustrated by Seymour Chwast — number 78 (2013) in a series.
- “Think Big," giclée print, 18 x 24 in., of a “Chwast’s Quote," a notable quote from Donald Trump, illustrated by Seymour Chwast — number 132 (2014) in a series.
Left to right (above):
- “War is Madness," giclée print, 18 x 24 in., of 1986 poster. The very rare original 1986 offset poster, 25 1/2 x 36 in, is available for $3,000, along with a copy of At War with War (signed and inscribed).
- “Peace," giclée print, 18 x 24 in., of 1985 poster, printed for the 40th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima. The original offset poster, 24 x 36 in., is available for $360, and includes a copy of At War with War.
- “War is Good Business, Invest Your Son," giclée print, 18 x 24 in., of 1968 poster.
Original Typography Drawings and Prints by Seymour Chwast
Unique unpublished alphabets and typography illustrations shown below are signed by Seymour and include a copy of At War with War (unsigned) with your name on the book’s acknowledgments page.
For $150: "Blimp Alphabet and Numbers 2," 1970, set of two working Photostats (shown above), 17 x 14 in., signed, plus a copy of "At War with War."
Original Vintage Posters (Screenprints and Offset) by Seymour Chwast
Rare and vintage posters shown below include a copy of At War with War (unsigned) with your name on the book’s acknowledgments page.
Left to right (above):
- “Cooper Union Retrospective Exhibition,” original 1986 offset poster for exhibition of Seymour Chwast’s work, 25 x 36 in.
- “NO GO,” original 1998 offset poster printed for the Hague Appeal for Peace Conference, 24 x 36 in.
Left to right (above):
- “March for Peace and Justice,” original 1982 offset poster poster, 18 x 24 in.
- “Liberty,” original 1999 offset poster printed for the bicentennial of the French Revolution, 24 x 33 in.
- “Growing by Design,” 1990 original offset poster printed for a design conference in Aspen, Colorado, 24 x 36 in.
Left to right (above):
- “End Bad Breath,” screenprint, reprinted 1999 from original 1967 poster, 24 x 36 in.
- “Earth Day,” original 1995 poster, 24 x 36 in.
- “Visit Dante's Inferno,” original 1967 offset poster, 18 x 28 in., featured in a 2014 episode of “Mad Men” (to evoke the psychedelic '60s in ad executive Roger Sterling's office.
- Left to right (above):
- “I, Claudius,” original 1978 offset poster printed for the PBS Masterpiece Theater series, 30 x 46 1/2 in.
- “Nicholas Nickleby,” original 1984 offset poster printed for the PBS Masterpiece Theater series, 30 x 46 1/2 in.
Left to right (above):
- “Peace,” 1985, original offset poster, 24 x 36 in., printed for the 40th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima. Plus a copy of At War with War.
- “War Is Madness,” original very rare 1986 offset poster, 25 1/2 x 36 in. Plus a copy of At War with War, signed, and can be inscribed.
The 15 mini-posters come in a die-cut folder with wrapper band, and inserted into a custom envelope. Includes a blow-in flyer of production notes.
Posters include: “I, Claudius” for Mobil Oil, 1976; “The Butcher” for Nouvelle Observateur, 1980; “Carta di Pasta” for Pushpin Lubalin Peckolick, 1981; “Ink Tank” for The Ink Tank, 1981; “Writer’s Guide” for New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, 1981; “Nicholas Nickelby” for Mobil Oil, 1982; “Fun and Fantasy” for Museum of the Borough of Brooklyn, 1984; “Happy Birthday Bach” for Dolphin/Doubleday Books, 1984; “June” for PM Typographers, 1984; “Forbes Fuels Your Drive” for Forbes Magazine, 1985; “From Brooklyn to the Sea” for Museum of the Borough of Brooklyn, 1985; “Seymour Chwast Retrospective” for The Cooper Union, 1986; “War Is Madness” for The Shoshin Society, 1986; “Star Quality” for Mobil Oil, 1987; “The Grand Game of Baseball” for Museum of the Borough of Brooklyn, 1987.
Sketches for the Book and Drawings by Seymour Chwast
- Each sketch or drawing is unique, signed, can be inscribed, and includes a copy of At War with War, with your name on the book’s acknowledgments page.
- For $299: “Seymour’s Choice 3, Special Edition” includes, in addition to one of the sketches above, a signed giclée (digital) print, 8 12 x 11 in., of an illustration ("OpArt") by Seymour Chwast for the first issue (2003) of 3x3 magazine (see below) and a copy of At War with War signed by Seymour and stamped on the title page with his famous self-portrait in profile “logo.”
Original Wood Blocks used for Woodcut Illustrations by Seymour Chwast
- Each wood block includes a copy of At War with War, with your name on the book’s acknowledgments page.
- Seymour used the wood blocks shown above to create illustrations for At War with War. Details from each of the two wood blocks are shown below. The reverse of each features an additional woodcut.
- Seymour used the wood blocks shown above to create illustrations for the book Sam’s Bar (1987), written by Donald Barthelme, which depicts various regular customers who frequent a local pub. Details from each of the three wood blocks are shown below. The reverse of each features an additional woodcut.
Paintings by Seymour Chwast
- Each painting includes a copy of At War with War, with your name on the book’s acknowledgments page.
Own an original painting by Seymour Chwast from his current exhibition at New York’s Society of Illustrators gallery. Stop by and see it (through June 4) if you are in New York. If you would like to arrange a phone call with Seymour Chwast to discuss the painting before June 9, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
One-of-a-Kind and Special Items
All items shown below include a signed copy of At War with War with your name on the book’s acknowledgments page.
Above left: For $500 (in black-and-white) and for $750 (in color): Seymour Chwast will draw your pet's portrait (or of the pet of someone you know) from a photo you email to us. On vellum, 11 x 17 in., signed, and can be inscribed. A signed copy of At War with War, too.
Above right: For $500 in black-and-white: Seymour Chwast will draw your portrait (or one of someone you know) from a photo you email to us. On vellum, 11 x 17 in., signed, and can be inscribed. A signed copy of At War with War, too.
Schedule for Project and Rewards Delivery
At War with War and all additional rewards will ship in November 2016.
Seymour has always done work that is community based. And what could be more community based than issues of war? The idea of connecting to a community made us think of Kickstarter. We decided that it was the perfect place to launch this book. — Steven Heller, graphic design writer and editor of At War with War
SEYMOUR CHWAST (author and illustrator) is co-founder of Push Pin Studios, where he reintroduced graphic styles from the past and transformed them into a contemporary vocabulary. He has designed and/or illustrated many books, including more than 35 for children. He has created over 175 posters, a large number of which have attained cultural iconic status. He is in the Art Directors Hall of Fame and is the recipient of the 1985 AIGA Medal from the American Institute of Graphic Arts. His work has been the subject of many books, including Seymour: The Obsessive Images of Seymour Chwast.
STEVEN HELLER (editor) is co-chair School of Visual Arts MFA Design / Designer as Author + Entrepreneur, is the author, co-author, and editor of over 170 books on graphic design, visual propaganda, and satiric art. With Seymour Chwast he has co-authored over 10 books, including Graphic Style, and was editor of The Nose. He is the 2011 recipient of the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum National Design Award and the 2016 Eric Carle Award.
DESIGNERS & BOOKS (project creator): Steve Kroeter, Founder and Editor in Chief; Stephanie Salomon, Managing Editor; Russell Fernandez, Publishing Director; Gayatri Mullapudi, Social Media Consultant
JERRY KELLY (book production) is the co-founder of the Kelly-Winterton Press and the creator of the Hermann Zapf Sketchbook Project Kickstarter.
CAMILLE MURPHY, The PushPin Group, designer
VANN ALEXANDRA (campaign consultant)
SCOTT LINDBERG / NEW DOCUMENTS (campaign consultant)
Thank you for your support!
Risks and challenges
Our team is exceptionally well equipped to bring this book into being. As an icon of graphic design, oft-published author, and designer and illustrator of many books, Seymour Chwast is a respected book-publishing veteran. The editor of the book, Steven Heller — author, co-author editor, or co-editor of over 150 books (many done in collaboration with Seymour) — has a similarly distinguished career in publishing.
Designers & Books managed the successful campaign in 2015 to publish a facsimile edition of the classic design book “Ladislav Sutnar: Visual Design in Action.” The print production of “At War with War” will be managed by Jerry Kelly, an award-winning book designer, type designer, and production manager. Kelly also was the project creator in 2015 of a successful Kickstarter for a book about typeface designer Hermann Zapf. Handling and fulfillment for our project will be by an expert fine-art shipping company based in New York with extensive experience in domestic and international fulfillment of Kickstarter projects.
With this highly experienced and detail-oriented team in place, we have the expertise and dedication to deliver a book that meets our own high expectations as well as those of our discerning backers.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter