Back to the future: the next generation telephone, a CES Award Winner. World’s 1st quad core Android based smart telephone and beyond. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on March 5, 2014.
About this project
Why we started this project?
Telephone was invented in 1876. Since then, it has been the world’s most widely used and most reliable communication tool.
Unfortunately, it seems that the advancement of the telephone has been extremely slow for the past few decades. However, cellphones have garnered an incredible evolution in the same time period. As a result, cellphones outnumber telephones by a substantial margin.
As we observed this disproportionate advancement, we believe our landline telephone users deserve a better device! A telephone also belongs to 21st century, so we began this project two years ago. We planned our features very diligently, and as we went, we discovered that this telephone can do much more. With our first prototypes, we came to CES 2012. We were widely acknowledged by visitors and peer exhibitors. To our surprise, we even won an award: The International CES Innovations 2012 Design and Engineering Awards. This truly inspired my entire team and me to continue with our project.
What is HFC Canna?
HFC Canna is a telephone, a very smart telephone, the telephone of next generation. It is NOT only a smart telephone. It is a versatile smart platform which can be used in many places and occasions.
Please refer our preliminary user manual for details.
How does HFC Canna work with my cellphone? What is the benefit of doing it?
There are a few advantages by doing so:
1. It is radiation-free from HFC Canna's handset, 100% green calls. This is helpful for people making a lot of calls!
2. You will enjoy our innovative call services mentioned below.
3. If signal is not good in your room or office (it happens), you can put your cellphone near a window and you can make phone calls at your desk using HFC Canna.
What forms of telephone come with HFC Canna?
We have the following types of HFC Canna to offer:
We have two forms of cases, a 7 inch and a 10 inch. We have three forms of PCB boards, original 1.2 GHz CPU, QUAD core 1.8 GHz CPU, and QUAD core 1.8 GHz CPU with DECT 6.0. Therefore, we can offer you six (6) types of variations.
HFC Canna 7 inch model.
HFC Canna 10 inch model.
The products we offer are:
A. HFC Canna S0-7, a standalone smart telephone, original version.
B. HFC Canna S0-10, a standalone smart telephone, original version.
C. HFC Canna S1-7, a standalone smart telephone with a QUAD core CPU and Android 4.2
D. HFC Canna S1-10, a standalone smart telephone with a QUAD core CPU and Android 4.2
E. HFC Canna S2-7, a standalone smart telephone with a QUAD core CPU and Android 4.2. This version supports DECT 6.0.
F. HFC Canna S2-10, a standalone smart telephone with a QUAD core CPU and Android 4.2. This version supports DECT 6.0.
See below for detailed technical specifications.
What innovative communication functions does HFC Canna offer?
Our smart communications software benefits you for household use & business applications
- Advanced digital answer machine
- AUTO REDIAL -- Auto redial will redial until the call is answered or until reaching pre-set time frame.
- Auto Hang-up – the phone is automatically back to normal functions when it detects a busy signal
- Smart Calendar
- e- Notification
- Scheduled Calls
Convenient phone dialing functions give you a superior experience. A menu with 6 tabs will appear on the screen when you press the hands-free key or pick up the handset. The tabs include:
- SEARCH (Search local contacts)
- KEYPAD ( "0 to 9”, “* and #", and “Delete” key)
- CALL HISTORY (Missed Calls, Incoming Calls and Outgoing Calls)
- CONTACT (Contact list)
- MOST CALLED (The most frequently called numbers and/or contacts)
- URGENT CALL Setup(Using an emergency contact list created by the user, e.g. 911)
During phone calls, there are 9 tabs to enhance users’ call experience. The tabs are
- MAIN (showing the photo of contact, phone number, and functional keypad including “Mute”, “Dial Panel”, “Hands Free”, “Record”, “Hold”, “Contact”, “Hang-up” and “Delete” keys)
- KEYPAD (to operate the phone)
- CALL RECORDS (Call history list of the contact including missed calls, incoming calls and outgoing calls )
- CALLER INFO (detailed info about the contact)
- LOCATION/MAP (shows the contact’s location)
- WEATHER ( weather info at the contact’s location);
- CALL NOTES (contact can take notes during the call that will be saved along with the call record)
- CALENDAR (Add event and set alarm reminder)
- INTERNET BROWSER (Allows you to browse the Internet during a call)
Advanced Digital Answering Machine
- Customizable greetings to a contact or a group
- There are three ways to make and/or select a greeting:
1. Default– Factory created greeting
2. PersonalRecordings -You can record unique voice greetings
3. Voice over text – You can type a text and Canna will convert into a greeting with many possible different dialects
- You can assign a greeting to a contact so each contact may hear a customized greeting
- Voice mails are stored in MP3 files so you can store, mail, and share the files
- The Canna can send you an email to notify when you got a voice message
Complete Call Records
- HFC defines a new concept of “Complete Call Record” which includes
- Call details as you may see from you smart cell phones
- Call recording which you may record during the conversation (if there is any)
- Call note which you may take during a phone conversation (if there is any)
How do you make a phone call using HFC Canna?
There are several ways to initiate a call by using the HFC Canna smart telephone,
- Lift your handset;
- Press the speaker phone button;
- From a contact;
- From a call history record;
- From a scheduled call;
- From the page of your Commonly Called Numbers;
- From the enclosed Yellow Page app.
How do you receive a phone call using HFC Canna?
When a phone call comes in, you will first see the following screen.
From this screen, you will know who the caller is, from where, who is the carrier, and a map of the caller’s location is set as the background.
From here, you have four options:
1.Answer the phone call by lifting your handset;
2.Press the “Answer” to use the speaker phone ;
3.If you don’t want to take the call at the moment, you can press “Hang Up”;
4.Directly put the call to the answering machine by pressing “Answering Machine”.
What are HFC Canna’s innovative services during a call?
You can use our innovative 9-tab services during a call to provide information you may need.
1.“Mute” your microphone so the other party will not hear what you are saying for privacy while you can still hear the other party.
2.You may record the conversation by using the “Record” button. Once you press the “Record” button, it becomes blue and a timer starts running to give you indication how long the recording is lasting.
3.“Dial Panel” leads you to “Keypad” tab.
4.“Holding” holds the phone call that both parties cannot hear from each other.
5.“Handsfree” opens speaker phone.
6.“Contact” leads you to “Caller Info” tab
Keypad gives you a dial panel to call extensions or enter keys.
You will see call record listing of this particular contact while on the phone.
This will give you detailed information of this contact if you saved this person as a contact, just like you normally would on your cellphone.
Location/Map will bring a map of where the caller’s phone is registered. If the caller is using a cell phone, the map will NOT show where the caller is at under this release. You can zoom and/or drag the map.
Same as in “Location/Map” tab, “Weather” tab will give you weather info of where the caller’s phone is register.
“Call Notes” give you notepad to type in any info, such as phone numbers, address, etc., during the phone conversation so you would not lose them. The notes you took will be saved as part of your call record. You can view the notes later when you access the call record.
You can also access your calendar during the conversation. This way, you can view your existing events and/or book your new events. You can access your other call history by date from this calendar. You may also make a scheduled call from here.
Last, you can browse the Internet during a conversation.
How does Advanced Digital Answering Machine work?
The answering machine is one of many exciting innovations of this HFC Canna.
1.You will get a notification email upon setup if you get a voice message. The actual voice mail is sent as an attachment of the email so you would not miss a single one no matter where you are on the earth;
2.Greetings can be customized to different contacts so each one may hear an unique greeting;
3.Greetings can be personal recordings or converted from a text (see below) so non-native speaker would always have native greetings;
4.All greetings and voice messages are stored locally in MP3 format;
5.There are no limit of how long a message can be recorded or how many messages are allowed. We have three possible type of storage to choose from: a) an internal 4GB storage, b) optional SD card up to 32GB (SD card is not included), and c) optional USB drive storage so you have plenty space to store you voice message, phone recordings, and contacts.
What do we mean by "Smart Photo Frame"?
Digital photo frames are used much more often than before due to their capacity to hold thousands of photos and its ability to display photos in artistic ways. There are, however, drawbacks. The most notable one is to get photos and copy them into the photo frame.
We utilize Instagram to overcome this difficulty. We designed a special photo frame within the HFC Canna which allows you to login into your Instagram account. Once you’re logged in, this photo frame will automatically download photos of the person(s) you follow. You can setup the photo frame to view albums of an individual of your choice or the photos of all the people you follow. We will download geo information and other comments of the photos. You have options to view this extra info with the photos.
This way, if you give a HFC Canna to your parents or grandparents as a gift, they will see new photos of you, their friends, children, and grandchildren on daily basis without having any effort or problem. Everything is done automatically and effortlessly.
How does the HFC video surveillance work?
The HFC video surveillance is a casual yet sophisticated way to let you view what is going on inside and around your house. You can see camera images via the HFC Canna when you are at home, or you may view them through your smartphone when you’re away.
You can place a camera before your front door so you can see who is coming without approaching to the door. The camera has motion sensing capabilities. HFC video surveillance will alert you by popping up live video stream on HFC Canna or sending you a snap shot to your cellphone if you are away. The same will happen if you place cameras in and around your house. HFC video surveillance allows you to turn on cameras inside your house when you are away and you view the feed from your cellphone.
An example of integrated usage of the HFC Surveillance system would be putting a camera in your nursery or child’s room. Activities of your children can then be monitored remotely.
We will launch a separate project for HFC Smart Camera. The specially designed cameras have the following characteristics: Imitating the shapes of household items e.g. books, cups, vases etc., Have the video stream encrypted from end to end so your privacy is protected at maximum level; 3. Detect a number of behaviors using patented technology: smoke, fire, motion, falling of a person (especially useful for solitary elderly people).
Where we have been and where we're at
We have been working on the smart telephone project for over 2 years now. This is our very first prototype.
Then it looked like this.
Our working prototype’s first public debut was on 2012 CES. We started with a 7” model and added a 10” one to provide more benefits to end users, especially better photo viewing. We have been added more features and been integrated more services into HFC Canna since then.
The HFC Canna that you see in the video is a real working prototype.
Even though our first generation HFC Canna S0 is still the smartest telephone, we did not stop here. We are making progress to create better, smarter, and faster telephones. Now we are close to finishing our projects. The following is our tentative schedule for upcoming months.
With your support, we can finally bring the HFC Canna to customers worldwide. While we're very close to entering mass production for our S1 and beyond, your contribution will help fund:
- Production final
- Large component order
- Global certifications
Your support is greatly appreciated! To express our sincere gratefulness, we will do the followings:
1. Add each everyone's name into our acknowledgement section of the telephone so your name will be memorized;
2. Send us a picture or photo of 1024 by 600. We will use it as one of the booting image. So your telephone will display the picture or photo when it reboots every time.
These offers will not be available for our commercial release.
Risks and challenges
1) Software drivers. We have done all divers on Android 2.3 platform. There are few new items which need write new divers. The most part is porting existing drivers to Android 4.2 platform. This risk is very controllable.
2) Software. Again, the issue is porting with very limited new development. It is under control.
3) Production lead-time, cost of parts, and logistics. Lead time of ordering components is maximum 4 weeks. When we close this project by the end of February, we have a month to order and a month to make the telephones and a month for logistics. For April delivery, we put limited quantity so we can order in advance to save a month time.
4) Hardware bugs. We have made a few trial productions for the total amount over 300 unites since 2012. Our conformity rate from production line is over 97%. We got quite number of software bugs but none hardware failure after the factory. We got almost all software bugs removed.
HFC Canna can handle both digital and analog connection.
Can HFC Canna operate as a call blocker? e.g. to block all international calls or calls without caller ID (or calls on a black list) .
Yes. HFC Canna can block calls by certain pattern, i.e. international calls, calls with caller ID, and etc. Canna also provide black list function.
- (30 days)