THE P-51 AUTOMATIC WATCH by REC - Recycling Horsepower!
HALLELUJAH! You've just stumbled upon something truly unique! Introducing the P-51 watches - made from recycled 1960s Mustangs. A bold and innovative blend of radical design, handcrafted materials, and high quality components. The only thing missing is your wrist!
Before we begin, you might wonder: what did the press think about this new collection of watches, and the concept behind them? Well, have a look:
Click on the blue link for some of the articles:
- Bloomberg "There's no mistaking the P-51 for anything other than a car guy's watch"
- Yahoo Finance "Muscular, Modern Watches Made From Ford Mustangs"
- Mustang360 "REC Watches Has Set Out to Deliver a Uniquely Mustang Timepiece"
- Worn & Wound "Mustang DNA is plentiful here, and as a design exercise there’s no denying it’s a striking achievement, full of clever elements and callbacks to the ’66 in three separate colorways"
- Airows "REC Watches is doing something very different and very cool"
- Europa Star "First, credit goes to REC for really knowing how to relate to and engage with its fans. The brand doesn’t just rely on crowd-funding to kick off its projects, but it also crowd-sources ideas"
- aBlogToWatch "The REC P-51 races for your attention with solid build quality, bold design, and a good story to go with it"
The P-51 collection comes in three variations, where each variation has its own distinct expression in terms of color and materials used. Please make sure that you pick the variation(s) that suits you best, as you are only able to donate once!
- Stainless Steel Case Skeleton and Orange printed Hands
- Black PVD & Stainless Steel Case
- Stainless Steel Bezel
- Black Dial
- Recycled & Rhodium Top Dial made from a classic Ford Mustang
- Black Calf Leather Strap
- Skeleton and Blue printed Hands
- Black PVD Bezel
- White Grey Dial
- Recycled & Rhodium Top Dial made from a classic Ford Mustang
- Brown Calf Leather Strap
- Skeleton and White printed Gold color Hands
- Black PVD Case
- 4N Gold Bezel
- Anthracite Dial
- Recycled & 4N Gold Top Dial made from a classic Ford Mustang
- Double Black Calf Leather Strap
So, why the Mustang you might ask? Having spent more than a year fine-tuning these watches, choosing to make watches from salvaged old Mustangs was (funnily enough) not only by our own accord! By incorporating a poll on our website, we are humbled to have received thousands of votes on which icon should form our next (mechanical) collection!
Just before we started developing the P-51 collection, it was literally a race to the finish-line between the Mustang and another famous automotive icon, but with a "photo finish", the Mustang won the race! And we couldn't be happier with the result!
We immediately knew that recycling old 1960's Mustangs into watches would require us to create an automatic, all mechanical, watch unlike any other. We were keenly aware that in this lied a duty - even a responsibility - to create something that could match the timeless, sporty, elegant and iconic design of a car which is the very symbol of American muscle cars.
Step one was to forge a team of specialists in both design and production. The challenge was not only to create a beautiful mechanical watch that will last a life-time, but at the same time also stay true to our concept and our aesthetic ideals. The P-51 watches are therefore not only inspired by the design of the classic Mustang, but also incorporates metal from these salvaged cars in the very product - at the same time ensuring that every single watch will be visually unique.
While the trained eye may already have spotted many of the design references from the car, this short 3D animation might help you on the way to spot all of them:
THE STORY BEHIND EACH WATCH
The story of the previous owners is a very important part of any REC Watch, which is why the P-51 watches are the first watches to feature a 'Story Card'. The Story Card is a scannable plastic card in the same size as a creditcard, but with a built-in NFC-chip and QR code, that when activated links directly to a video that explains the exact story of the specific Mustang that became your watch!
'P-51' is probably not a name that immediately makes you think of classic Ford Mustangs. So 'why do the watches carry this name?' You may ask. Well, just like the watches themselves the name is in fact a subtle reference to the Mustang, which holds a story in itself:
Ford Lead Designer and Executive Stylist John Najjar Ferzely proposed the Mustang name for the first concept vehicle back in the early 60's. As an avid aviation enthusiast, he compared the diminutive but sleek profile of the new sports car with the North American P-51 Mustang fighter plane.
We found this story too good not to include, so we named the watches 'P-51' - but do not worry, these bad-boys have only carved up miles on the road!
ALL THREE VARIATIONS SHARE THESE SPECIFICATIONS
- CASE (without horns and crown): 44.0 (W) x 44.0 (H) mm
- THICKNESS (without horns and crown): 10.8 mm
- OPENING DIAMETER: 38.0 mm
- STRAP WIDTH / TAPPERING: 24mm / 24 to 22mm
- MOVEMENT REFERENCE: Japanese Miyota caliber 9130 automatic movement
- FUNCTIONS: 3 Hands / Date / Power Reserve 48h Automatic - 26 Jewels / 28800 Vibrations per Hour
- All Stainless Steel case TOP
- GLASS: Sapphire crystal with anti-reflecting coating
- DIAL: Visually Unique Handcrafted Recycled Metal dial made from a classic Mustang
- WARRANTY: 1 Year Full Warranty
- WATER RESISTANCE: 3 ATM, 30 Meters
- Every watch comes with a NFC/QR scannable 'Story Card' with an authentic video documentary of the specific Mustang that became your watch!
Though we haven't manufactured the P-51 watches yet, we have bucket-loads of experience in turning old automotive icons into new watches! Our previous collections made from classic (Austin) Mini's shares a lot of the same similarities in terms of the recycling process behind, and as a matter of fact the video below is the very first Mini which we - Christian and Jonathan - manually recycled! But fear not, the process is a lot faster and effective by now:
What's in common for all cars, is that we exclusively use wrecks that are completely beyond saving, and even more importantly; we make sure that each wreck we acquire has a traceable and great little story behind it! As this (old) video above shows, we start by removing the primer and paint from the car, cut the bodywork into sheets of metal, and then proceed to roll the metal flat and straight after which the dials can be pressed out from the metal sheets. As the last step before moving into the watch production itself, each dial is coated with a clear layer of lacquer ensuring that even if the dial rustic patina, the patina does not "spread" to other parts of the watch - but is in fact kept in it's own tiny vacuum.
The (now previous) owner of the car gets to keep all the spare parts we cannot recycle; parts which are often used for restorative purposes. As a bonus we always provide the owner with a free watch from his or her car, that now lives on as a watch for many years to come!
Our stretch goal is very simple, as there is only one! When we designed these watches, we immediately decided to exclusively use highly reliable movements, and only top quality components for both watches, straps, packaging and everything else included in this campaign.
We could have added components like sapphire glass, better straps, etc., as stretch goals, but we want you to have all those things as standard! That's why our 'only' stretch goal is an extra strap, free of choice and charge, for everyone who backs us by ordering any of the P-51 watches!
And better yet, these straps are far from your average straps! These are as unique as the watches they will companion, and a perfect match for your future P-51 watch.
Kevlar strap: A truly rugged strap with kevlar surface, this strap is as American as the 2nd amendment! The kevlar strap looks amazing with the P-51-01 and P-51-03 watch (our opinion, you decide).
Khaki green leather strap: Inspired by the pattern of the leather seats typically found in 60's Mustangs, this green maverick also pays homage to the color of the Mustang used in the 'Bullitt' movie! The khaki strap looks smashing with the all three P-51 watches (our opinion, you decide).
Denim strap: No introduction is necessary for this cowboy, denim is as American as The Beach Boys! The denim strap looks stunning with the P-51-02 (our opinion, you decide).
We know we only said that we only have one stretch goal, which was an extra strap if we reached our 100% funding. Since this goal was completed with in two weeks, we have decided to make a new and final stretch goal!
If we reach 3 million DKK / approx. 430 k USD, we will provide all our backers who have pledged for a watch with a sweet leather travel watch case!
This case will come in brown and black and will have an embossed REC logo, the case will come in one size holding three (3) watches. If you pledged for one (1) P-51 watch, you will be able to have two of your other watches stored in a stylish manner.
The P-51 collection is the result of more than one year of dedicated work, to perfect a design that can match the iconic Mustang! We spent the time not only polishing the design, but also to ensure that only the very best components were used in the production, securing that the watch will not share the same fate as the Mustang it will be made from.
We made the schedule below as realistic as possible. Making watches is our job, passion and calling, and our having produced multiple collections of watches previously allows us to exclusively use the best suppliers on the market. As such, we believe the schedule below is both realistic and contains slack to cover the normal, inevitable small delays.
REC Watches was launched in 2014, by childhood friends Christian and Jonathan, out of Copenhagen Denmark. We wanted to redefine how a timepiece can tell a (fantastic) story, and relate to YOU as an individual. As watch fanatics and petrol-heads to the bone, we wanted to create something different, something we would crave ourselves!
Every single REC timepiece is therefore made by salvaging classic objects, and transforming them into watch components! We call our concept “RECOVER, RECYCLE, RECLAIM” (hence the name 'REC'). The result? EVERY single REC watch is visually unique (no two are identical), comes with subtle design references taken directly from the object, include handmade components, and is born with the story from the object of which it was made!
We launched this concept last year, with our first three collections - all made from classic Mini (Austin/Morris) car wrecks. The concept was very well received, and we have received tons of feedback from all over the world! These included visitors on our website who participated in our poll determining, what the next object should be, and especially questions regarding when we would do a mechanical watch - and here we are!
We've teamed up with some of the best in the business when it comes to design and production, our partners in crime being Swiss based Studio Divine. Check out what Senior Designer, Etienne Melaerts thoughts are on the design of the Mustang and the P-51:
Besides Studio Divine, we've have had the pleasure of working with some exceptionally talented partners in the preparations for this Kickstarter, including but not limited to:
- Eyelight Video Productions - The fantastic team that helped us in making our Kickstarter video, and hat's off to Danish director Kasper Kristensen who always has a keen eye for detail! If you dream of making your own Kickstarter one day, you should definitely pay their website a visit!
- Kalory Photography - London based photographic genius, Franck Jehanne, took our amazing packshots!
- Ford Danmark - Has supported and helped us for the start, with everything from loaning Mustangs to feedback on the watches.
- Mustang Club of America - Mustang Club of America (MCA) have been absolutely amazing throughout the our entire development phase, with particular high-fives going to Club President Jeffrey Mays!
- Mustang Club of Denmark - Kim Sennenwald, President of Mustang Club of America, deserves a HUGE thank you for making our launch event possible and for his feedback before and during this campaign!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT (and we can't believe you read this much!)
Risks and challenges
Before launching this Kickstarter campaign, our working prototypes have been rigorously tested by both ourselves and selected watch experts. In fact, we have spent the past year advancing our designs and working prototypes to meet the qualifications we ourselves would expect from a watch.
We are confident that we will meet or beat our projected delivery dates. We have built in extra time for any potential delays in the manufacturing process and expect to ship by the projected dates. Our backers will be in the loop as we communicate updates at every stage of the process.
Our manufacturers stand ready to activate production as soon as we meet our Kickstarter funding goal.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)