The Pasta Partner: Measuring Hands-Free Kitchen Colander!
The Pasta Partner: Measuring Hands-Free Kitchen Colander!
This hands-free colander sits in any corner of the sink, above the dishes! It also prevents you from making too much/too little pasta.
This hands-free colander sits in any corner of the sink, above the dishes! It also prevents you from making too much/too little pasta. Read more
Watch the video above(↑), then read what follows below(↓).
What is The Pasta Partner?
The Pasta Partner is an innovative and one-of-a-kind, hands-free (and BPA-free) colander with a built-in measuring tool to help you gauge how much pasta to cook.
The Pasta Partner can be suspended from any corner of a kitchen sink and be used hands-free.
The built in measuring tool helps you gauge how much pasta to cook. Find your pasta shape, decide how many servings you want, then fill the colander to that level.
The Pasta Partner includes symbols and serving sizes for common pasta types such as:
- Large Elbow
- Macaroni Style
- Small Shell
- Medium Shell
- Penne Rigate
- Medium Egg Noodles
- Extra Wide Egg Noodles
The unique shape of the colander allows you to easily pour dry or cooked pasta into any other cooking pot or serving dish.
The colander can also be used for other items like fruits, vegetables, and other foods.
Why did we invent The Pasta Partner?
Actually the story is quite interesting. We never had any intention of creating a colander. What happened was this...one afternoon we had an impromptu meeting while we were both in a local grocery store. We found ourselves on the pasta aisle and paused to view the massive amount of shelf space dedicated to pasta noodles. It was clear to us that almost everyone cooks pasta at home at least occasionally, and we asked ourselves, "What are the typical annoying problems that occur when cooking pasta, and what could we do to make cooking pasta a breeze?".
Well, it turns out there are a lot of challenging steps that often result in annoying problems, like:
- Measuring out the right amount of pasta you intent to cook/eat
- Knowing when the pasta has cooked long enough
- Finding a way to place a colander in a sink to use it hands-free
- Pouring hot water and noodles into the colander safely
- Straining noodles without contaminating them from the dirty sink
- Transferring strained noodles into a serving dish without spilling
So, we tried to address as many of these issues as we could with one solution, and that solution became The Pasta Partner - the best colander you can find to help you cook pasta. It's an awesome colander that also works for anything you would typically strain in a kitchen sink.
Why would you want The Pasta Partner?
The Pasta Partner colander is a great addition to anyone's kitchen. Simply put - it will make cooking pasta a breeze. There are several benefits that you will enjoy as you use The Pasta Partner, including...
- No more guessing how much pasta is enough
- No need to do the math to figure out how many cups equal the number of servings you want to cook
- No more wasting pasta because you cooked too much
- No need to empty your kitchen sink just to use your colander
- Prevent your colander and/or pasta from touching the bottom of a dirty sink
- Use the colander hands-free
- Use both hands to hold the pot of cooked pasta when pouring
- Avoid burns from scalding water and/or hot steam
- Easily transfer strained noodles to a serving dish without spilling
- Easy to clean since there are no moving parts or small cracks where trapped food allows bacteria to grow
- Easy to strain and measure all kinds of foods
You might decide you like it so much that you won't want to store it away in the cabinet. You might just leave it hanging out in a corner of your sink, out of your way, but ready to be used whenever you need it.
We need your help!
We've made a lot of progress on our own; from early ideas on paper...
- to early handmade prototypes...
- to our first painted stereo-lithography (SLA) prototype...
- to the final design, which will include all the original great features, and a few subtle improvements that are sure to delight you, like improved pasta symbols, larger numbers, cup and litre indicators, and reliefs near the handle to make it easier to pick up The Pasta Partner from the corner of the sink.
We now need your help so that we can order a steel mold to produce an initial production run of plastic injection molded colanders. You can help us by making a pledge for one of the rewards listed on the right side of this page. But hurry - these rewards will only be available until Saturday, Feb. 23!
Rewards are what we give you when you choose to back our project. Based on customer research, we are producing The Pasta Partner colander in the following two colors: green and red.
We are offering the following reward levels:
- $10 or more – Every donation helps make this project a success. Thank you for your kind generosity! We couldn't do this without each of you.
- $25 or more – LOCAL PICK-UP ONLY - One hands-free Pasta Partner colander (your choice of color - GREEN or RED) that you pick up in one of the following cities: Lexington, KY (south side) or Louisville, KY (north side). Pick-up locations, dates, and times will be communicated after the Kickstarter project completes. Two Saturday afternoons will be chosen at each location. If you're not sure this option will work for you, please choose a different reward to back.
- $30 or more – EARLY BIRD - One GREEN hands-free Pasta Partner colander
- $35 or more – One GREEN hands-free Pasta Partner colander
- $35 or more – One RED hands-free Pasta Partner colander
- $40 or more – I CAN’T WAIT! - One hands-free Pasta Partner colander (your choice of color - GREEN or RED) shipped before any other reward levels (free shipping in the US) - you’ll be the first to get your colander
If you increase your pledge beyond the specified reward amount, we are willing to provide you with an additional colander of your color choice for each additional $20 pledged. At the end of the campaign we'll ask you what colors you want.
The Pasta Partner colander will also make a great gift for family or friends. And don't forget about Mother's Day and Father's Day. Thank you for backing the Pasta Partner project. This project would not be possible without you.
And here’s an absolutely free reward for you – a highly recommended recipe.
CAJUN CHICKEN PASTA (serves 6-8)
- 4 servings of penne rigate pasta - cooked (measured and strained in the hands-free Pasta Partner colander)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut into strips
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 16 slices red bell pepper
- 16 slices green bell pepper
- ½ purple onion
- 6 large mushrooms - sliced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Zest of one lemon
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Place chicken and Cajun seasoning in a re-sealable plastic bag. Shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté chicken in butter until almost tender (about 5 to 7 minutes).
- Add the red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and mushrooms. Sauté and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat.
- Add cream and remaining seasonings. Heat through.
- Add cooked penne rigate pasta and toss. Heat through. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Serve immediately. Even the leftovers are amazing, if there are any. Enjoy!
IS THE PASTA PARTNER DISHWASHER SAFE?
Yes. The Pasta Partner colander is made from food-grade No. 5 polypropylene plastic. Polypropylene plastic is used extensively in many kitchen tools, dishes, and accessories. The Pasta Partner is significantly thicker than most other dishwasher safe plastic dishes, and will hold up to the heat and cleaning detergents.
WILL THE PASTA PARTNER HOLD UP TO A FULL LOAD OF COOKED PASTA?
The Pasta Partner can easily hold over 5 lbs (2.3 kg), as shown in the video, and has been tested at more than two times the weight of a full load of cooked pasta with no problems. The Pasta Partner has been designed to be very robust and to last a very long time.
HOW MUCH IS ONE SERVING SIZE OF PASTA?
The suggested adult serving size for all pasta noodles is two ounces (about 50 grams) of "dry" pasta. If you measure the dry pasta by volume, the serving size will differ depending upon the pasta shape. Generally, the suggested adult serving volume in cups (or litres) is provided on the pasta packaging. The serving size indicators on The Pasta Partner make measuring servings quick and easy - no need to look anything up, perform math calculations, or find your kitchen scale (if you even have one).
HOW DO I MEASURE SERVINGS SIZES OF PASTA SHAPES NOT INDICATED ON THE PASTA PARTNER?
If you need to measure serving sizes of pasta shapes that do not match those already shown on The Pasta Partner, you can look for the suggested serving volume usually indicated on the pasta packaging. Multiply that suggested serving volume by the number of servings desired, then use the volume indicators for cups (or litres) to measure your specific pasta. The volume indicators for cups (or litres) are also very handy when measuring fruits or vegetables that will be used in a recipe.
Risks and challenges
As experienced product developers, we have used the knowledge and skills we have developed as professionals to create The Pasta Partner. We have tested the design in our own kitchens and have verified that it works just like we want it to. We have also used our extensive experience with injection molded part design to create a product that is readily manufacturable.
We have had in-depth design reviews with two different injection molding companies, of which both confirmed that our design can be manufactured without difficulty. Of the two vendors, we have selected the one that will give us the best product at the best cost on the best schedule. Our selected manufacturer has committed to the resin type, piece-price, mold cost, and mold delivery schedule.
Our manufacturer is able to produce 7,000 units per week, so we do not foresee any problems producing the required quantity of colanders to reward our backers. Additionally, the injection mold will be made of P-20 steel which will allow us to produce at least 100,000 parts before a new mold has to be made.
If our project is wildly successful and we need to send out thousands of colanders to our backers, we will utilize our manufacturer’s in-house fulfillment services to get your colander to you in a timely fashion.
Although you can never eliminate all risks, as experienced product developers we have already done a lot to eliminate most risks. One potential risk is that the production tool could take longer than our manufacturer has promised. We have added some additional time to the delivery schedule to compensate for this potential risk. If for some unforeseen reason we can’t get the product to you by the estimated delivery date, we’ll be sure to communicate and provide reasons for delays.
Another potential risk is that the actual colors of the “green” and “red” colanders may not be exact matches of the colors shown/described above. There is always color variation in plastic parts, but we will do our best to come as close as we can to colors shown above.
Perhaps our biggest risk is that you like the product and help by backing the project, but forget to tell others about it. Now that would be a shame, because you won't get a chance to enjoy The Pasta Partner in your home unless we meet our project goal. So, please share this idea with as many people as you can so you and they will both have a chance to enjoy The Pasta Partner!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)