Your character in the Forbidden Lands
After Erik’s post on the game world, we thought it was time to give you some more information on the rules of the game. There will be several posts on this, and first we will cover character generation!
First, we should mention that Forbidden Lands uses the same core rules engine as Mutant: Year Zero and Coriolis - The Third Horizon. These games are available in our webstore and there are even free PDF quickstart sets of both, which you might find useful and that will give you a good basis for where Forbidden Lands is coming from.
Still, Forbidden Lands will be its own game and things will differ from previous titles in several ways. Here’s a rundown on how character generation works in the current rules draft. Your feedback can still lead to changes, so make your voice heard, here in the comments or on own forum!
- Choose you kin. In Forbidden Lands, you can play human, elf, dwarf, halfling or wargfolk, and probably orc too (we have some differing opinions on this internally!). Each kin will come with its own special talent, somewhat similar to icon talents in Coriolis but powered by Willpower Points that are a acquired by pushing dice rolls in a similar fashion to Mutation Points in Mutant: Year Zero.
- Choose your class. In this game, you can be a Raider (fighter), Rogue (thief), Ranger, Spellbinder (wizard), Scoundrel (trader/trixter), Minstrel or Druid. Some classes will be restricted to certain kin. Just like your kin, your class will give you a special talent powered by Willpower.
- Choose your age - young, adult or old. This will determine how many points you get to spend on attributes and skills.
- Assign points to your four attributes: Strength, Agility, Wits, Charisma. 1-5 in each.
- Assign points to 16 skills (four skills connected to each of the four attributes). The skill names are subject for an intense separate discussion right now so we won’t go into that here. :)
- Pick a starting talent (a third one, beyond your kin and class talents).
- Choose a personal problem/dark secret. Your class description will give you examples, but you’re free to make up your own.
- Determine relationhips to the other PCs. Again, your class description will give you suggestions, but you’re free to make up your own.
- Decide your big dream in life.
- Choose your starting gear. Your class will give you options to choose from.
- Decide name and appearance. Again, your class description will give you suggestions, but you’re free to make up your own.
That’s it! As in all of our games, character generation will be fast and effective, in order to get started playing very quickly.
However, if we reach the Character & Legend Generator Booklet stretchgoal, we will add an extended character generation option! Using a combination of random dice rolls and decisions, this booklet will let you recreate your character’s life in chronological stages, gaining skill points along the way. This system fleshes out the character’s backstory and lets your learn the setting of the Forbidden Lands while you’re at it! This way to create characters will take a little more time, but can be rewarding if you want to go more in-depth.
That’s it for this update! Next time, we’ll talk about skills and combat.