A way to make World of Warcraft better
Even if World of Warcraft is losing subscribers month after month, it still has a strong community. People with a lot of talent when it comes to roleplay, fan-fiction and other artistic creations.
One big problem is that all these original creations can only live outside the game as we can't have any impact on WoW. That's what Total RP 3 Extended will change.
Total RP 3 brought you the possibility to customize your characters and companions (pets and mounts). Extended will bring you the possibility to really create new content in WoW: campaigns with quests and dialogues, items, documents (books, signs, contracts ...) and many more!
More than just an "User-Generated Content" add-on
Back in the old days (pre Burning Crusade), I discovered an add-on called Storyboard. It allowed you to create your own quests in World of Warcraft. That's what gave me the idea for Total RP: be the best roleplay addon ever allowing your to create your items.
With Total RP 2 for Cataclysm, a new step was achieved with the possibility to create your own quests and documents. The idea of players sharing their own stories with it was really great. But unfortunately, the feature was not really used, because of a lack of clarity in the UI and a complex learning curve.
Total RP 3 Extended will merge all the experience I gained with TRP 1, 2, 3 and also Storyline.
- First, as this is a separated addon we don't "force" any TRP3 user to use it. That was a reason why TRP2 was considered really heavy for casual roleplayers. If you want Extended, just get it in addition of TRP3. But TRP3 alone will stay lightweight.
- Also now the interfaces will be cleaner, prettier and easier to handle.
- We will provide different levels of complexity for the creation interfaces. So you will have a simple UI to quickly create simple items, but when you are ready to go to the next level and have the full unchained experience, you can use the tool in "expert mode".
- All these concepts will bring this addon to the saying "Easy to learn, hard to master".
- The possibilities will be near infinite, beyond anything you can found on WoW addons these days. Yes, even from TRP2 and Gryphonheart Items all together. ;)
- In fact, the range of possibilities will go far beyond what the game itself has proposed so far in terms of storytelling.
With Total RP 3 Extended, World of Warcraft will still have a bright future. A future maintained by the community for the community.
Main features list
Please note that I can't be completely exhaustive on all the features, as it would make for a true wall of text here. So I will only talk about the main features, and highlight what makes them incredible.
Where TRP2 allowed you to create quests, Extended will let you plan a complete story line. A campaign will consist of as many quests as you want where you will be designing the workflow between them. The player can successfully finish a quest, but can also fail. Failure is not the end, as it can be used to imagine branching in your story. With that you can think of multiple ends to your story as any decision made by the player can be tested all along the campaign.
Here are some new technical specifications.
What's important is what we can make with it:
- Campaign are divided in quests, and quests are divided in steps.
- You decide when a quest objective is shown to the players. With this, you can imagine secret objectives revealed only with certain conditions or player decisions. Also you can define optional objectives!
- Your creation can listen to any WoW event: player death, kills, entering a zone, moving, swimming, taking damage, saying something ... If the action exists in WoW and is related to an event, you can track it to trigger scripts in your creation. No more "state that check every second if this condition is true" like it was in TRP2. ;)
- You can override NPCs names and give them a description. This description and name can vary based on the campaign workflow so you can make your NPCs evolve with your story.
I will bring the UI from Storyline and create a tool for you to make your own dialogues. But that's not all, you will be able to make branching and let the player select what he want his character to say. These choices could be conditioned, for example allowing your character to charm a NPC if he is of the opposite sex (or not ;) ). With all of that, you could if you want (and take the time) make complex dialogues just like in Fallout 3.
But the dialog system can also be used to tell a story, using images, music and sounds. It can be use to be more of a cut-scenes feature than a dialogues one.
But what would be the TRP creation tools without the possibility to make items? Just like the quests, items will be able to react to any actions and they will have a memory: they can retain information. For example you can have a [Gun] that retains how many bullets it has left. No need to create several versions of the same item to handle internal state anymore.
Oh and, yes, you can now create containers. ;)
Of course items would be in your character's inventory, right? The new inventory will have the possibility to place items directly on your character. The weight and durability won't be just numbers anymore and could have a real impact on your character.
Documents layout will be simpler as it will be based on the same system as the "about" template of the character's description in Total RP 3. But you will be able to choose the size of the frame and indicate if it's a simple or a double paged layout just like a book.
Oh, and you can now interact with a document by placing and clicking links on it. This can be a roleplay way to sign document or to select a restaurant menu option.
Nowadays add-ons (and software in general) are more and more advanced and need more and more time and energy to be done correctly. There is a long road ahead in order to implement all these features and I have a job and a family: I cannot spend as much time on development as I could have done in the past.
So in order to bring you this top-of-the-art add-on, I took the decision to take one day off per week in order to have an additional day dedicated to work on Total RP 3 Extended. Without that, it will be near impossible to tackle down all these features on a good rate and with the quality you're used to with all my add-ons.
But as you can imagine, working one day less a week will cost me money. Despite the fact that I don't want to gain any money with this addon, I can't afford losing too much either. So this Kickstarter has for main objective to compensate a part of the salary loss. :)
I estimated each main feature in a "days of work" score (considering 8 hours of work per day). The minimum amount of 990€ will ensure the development of the following basic features:
- Item creation
- Campaign/Quest creation
- Dialog creation
- Document creation
- In-game item/document exchange between players. (Please note already that campaigns and dialogues are too heavy to be exchanged in-game.)
And what if we get above the initial goal?
Well of course 990€ is just to bring the strict minimum, and any additional cent will be invested in the development in order to bring even more possibilities and quality.
Here are some examples of stretch goal we could have:
- Inspection system, allowing you to inspect all the items that one character wears.
- Import system for TRP2 creations (please note already that it would be very limited due to the great gap between the two addons)
- Inventory for companions.
- Hideouts for your items, just like in TRP2.
- A small compatibility module for Total RP 3 in order to be able to share simple items and documents even with players without Extended.
- Multiplayer dialogues (Just like in SWTOR)
- Complex branching in all objects scripts. Possibilities to add delays to effects.
- Stealing system for the inventory (a highly requested feature back in the days of TRP2 ;) )
- Language module
- Game Master module
- Total RP 3 Extended Community website: upload your creations and easily download creations from others. Vote for best creations and suggest "packs". Just like for addons on Curse!
These are only examples/ideas. I will announce which stretch goals are on track if we get above the initial goal of 990€.
Here are some additional informations about the rewards levels.
Please note that all the rewards are expected to be in English only (Slack channel, included items and campaigns ...).
Newsletter: A monthly news letter explaining what has been done this month. With exclusive screenshots and sometimes even video.
Early alpha builds: Near the end of development, or when a milestone is reached and validated by our QA team (see below), we will provide alpha builds to gather feedback from a larger group. Please note that this is NOT an "early access" as "get it before anyone else". Alpha build are not stable and are made to test and give feedback. They are not made to start creating all the items and quests of your dreams and it is possible that creations could become incompatible later with a new alpha build.
Design your item: You will be able to design an item (or a set of items working together) to be included in Total RP 3 Extended. There will be RP vendors in the main cities. They will provides all your creations to players.
Slack access: Slack is a chat web application. I will be on Slack every time I work on Extended. Please note that I will try to answer questions the better I can, but that I'm working on Extended the same time and will not be able to answer them directly. Slack will be the first place where I will chase for feedback.
QA team (now for the 50€ backers): You will be part of our QA team. That means you will have access to very early builds and documentation during the entire duration of the development. Your feedback will be very important. Please note that this is NOT an "early access". Alpha build are not stable, are made to test and give feedback. They are not made to start creating all the items and quests of your dreams and it is possible that creations could become incompatible later with a new alpha build.
All-dev-followup: You will be able to join us on a personal Slack channel (in addition to the previous Slack channel reward). We will teach you all the specifics in the campaign creation and you will be able to design and include your campaign in Total RP 3 Extended. You will be our "chouchou", our "poulain" as we say in French. Our favorite. :)
Who the hell are we?
My name is Sylvain Cossement. But you know me in WoW as Telkostrasz. I'm a software developer and I brought you the three Total RP's and Storyline.
You also certainly know EllypseCelwe, as he certainly is more active than me on social media. He worked with me on TRP2-3 and Storyline. For Total RP 3 Extended he will be a support dev when I need it and will be my first line QA.
Risks and challenges
In software development there are always some risks. Risks on do-ability, risks in timing and planning...
Risks on do-ability: Is this possible to make it?
Yes ! As you can see in the gifs, we already have a working concept.
I'm waiting for some features that will be only available in Legion, so I'm dependent on Blizzard's schedule for some details. But even if theses features are not as useful as I hope, I will always be able to find a workaround.
Can I make it ? Yes I can. I made Total RP 1, 2 and 3. I made Storyline. Each of these add-ons shows how competent I am. I'm able to manage a project from A to Z, that's my day job.
I know, that's not modest at all but, eh, this is Kickstarter, I have to sell my project to you. ;)
Risks in timing and planning:
As I am dependent of Blizzard's schedule for Legion, and that for now we don't known more of a time frame for the release (between June and September), I will be cautious and not promise any release for the public before October. Could be before but I'm now promising it.
- (30 days)