Neon is an open source multilevel and multiuser website control panel which is based on nginx, mysql and php. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on January 27, 2013.
About this project
Neon is an open source multilevel and multiuser website control panel which is based on nginx, mysql and php. So what exactly does that mean?
In essence Neon once installed on a server will allow an administrator to create and manage user accounts. Those user accounts will each be assigned a private file structure and will be able to manage their own domains, DNS, email, mysql databases and backups.
Neon will be based on PHP and will come with an automated installer which will turn a blank server into a fully loaded Nginx, Mysql and PHP. It will also come loaded with email support (Exim or Postfix), DNS support (Bind or PowerDNS), FTP (ProFTPd or PureFTPd) all of which will be selectable by the administrator.
What is special about Neon?
Neon is the first open source control panel that is designed to make a profit and support Nginx by default. While there are other closed source panels on the market they don't support Nginx by default and while there are other open source control panels on the market they rarely have enough funding to be maintained let alone be improved upon. Neon aims to fix that by building a great panel, allowing anyone to obtain a copy, but still charging those who make money from it for it's use.
What is the difference between the Community Support Edition and the Professional Edition?
The Community Support Edition will come with all of the basic features you would expect in a control panel. The professional edition comes with some extras and paid support for those of you who would like to sell web hosting to your clients. The Community Support Edition is free for life, the Professional Edition will typically be a month-to-month license. Backers who pledge $30 or more get at a minimum of one Professional Edition license for life.
When will Neon be ready?
We estimate (assuming we get the backing we desire) that Neon will be ready by Mid-2013. Your of course welcome to download and install Neon on your server at any time by clicking on our Github link bellow.
Community Support Edition:
- Support via the forums, IRC and email.
- File manager
- FTP & SFTP
- Email management
- MySQL & PHP
- Administrative functions (Manage accounts, change server settings, create packages/plans, limit user features, create )
- Reseller functions
- Installation & management scripts
- Additional Users (Ever wanted to create a temporary user who automatically got removed after a certain amount of time?)
- Same features as Community Support Edition
- Priority support and ticket support
- Automatic script installer (for clients)
- Master and slave functionality
- Improved Additional Users
- WHMCS Module
- Master/slave server support
- Master reseller support
- Justin Johnston (PHP & Linux)
- Andrew Pietila (Perl & Linux)
- Sven Slootweg (PHP, Python & Linux)
Backers can view our code at any time on our Github: https://github.com/BlueVM/Neon
Extra Bonuses Based On Funding:
If neon exceeds $15,000 worth of backing we will add on support for Apache and Lighthttpd.
If neon exceeds $20,000 worth of backing we will add on the ability for users to be able to setup their own remote automatic backups.
If neon exceeds $30,000 worth of backing we will add support for users to be able to clone, pull and push files to/from any git repository via the control panel.
If neon exceeds $40,000 worth of backing we will add support for REHL, Centos, Ubuntu and Fedora operating systems at the time of launch.
Risks and challenges
- Developing a large system takes time and effort, we stand prepared to continue developing the project and have the experience and professionalism to complete the project.
- Unlike other projects you'll be able to see development and results as they happen via our Github. Any time new code is added it'll show up shortly.
- We have the combined experience of over 25 years in programming and Linux based server administration.
- This project uses CPHP which makes development faster and more secure. Security is and should be the #1 concern of any control panel. ( URL To CPHP: http://git.cryto.net/cgit/cphp/ )Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Yes we fully intend to port this to multiple other operating systems after the launch. If we break $40,000 as a backing goal we will add support for Centos, Ubuntu, Fedora and REHL at the time of launch instead of after it's launch.
- (30 days)