About this project
Because of the support of so many generous individuals, our goal of $16,000 has been met to help defer the costs of publishing our story in book form, "The Distance Between Us." Now, edition Lammerhuber and I are looking ahead, hoping to reach our stretch goal of $25,000.
I extend my deepest gratitude to all our backers – from financial contributors, to the editors of publications who have given us press, to those who have shared this campaign with their network of family, friends, and colleagues via social media. Everything you have done has helped us to further move our story out into the world. Thank you.
As Kickstarter is an all or nothing platform, the publisher and I decided to ask for the least amount of funds possible that would lighten the financial burden of publishing this book. We are asking that those who feel compelled, to give further support in order for us to reach this stretch goal which will lighten the financial risks we have taken to get us here even more. Please continue sharing our link, and stay tuned to the continued press that is to come.
The Distance Between Us:
The initial photographs were made at a time when I was starting to understand the photographer I was becoming. For years, I archived the pictures without ever looking at many of them. About ten years after the first pictures were made, and with a growing pile of photographs, I started to question why I continued to make these pictures.
After a number of close friends and colleagues gently prodded me to examine more deeply our story, I began to see there was much to share. It had little to do with showing what it is like to live with cerebral palsy, and more to do with sharing our story as brothers, and being open about my laments, and sharing how I began to move past the guilt I carried for being the healthy twin.
The question I always asked myself as a child, and even sometimes now as an adult, is why did this happen to Nick and not me? Why does this happen to anyone? The pictures ended up forcing me to deal with these questions.
As I spent more and more time with the photographs, I began to see Nick more clearly as an individual, with his own set of wants and desires. It’s the pictures that have led me to a different question, past my own grief, past my fears, and past our family to what lies ahead for Nick and me. I don’t know how the future will look, but soon it will be just ours to figure out.
Last year I met a publisher while sharing this story at the LUMIX Festival in Hanover, Germany. Edition Lammerhuber, based in Austria has come alongside me to produce our story in book form, and we're looking for your support to help make this book possible. The photographs, text, layout, and design are now complete, and we’re ready to go to press.
Your contribution will make publishing this book possible, bringing our story to you and many others. I hope you recognize the value in this work and will consider supporting it.
- Publisher: Edition Lammerhuber
- Size: 9.5 in x 11.75 in
- Pages: 208
- Illustrations: 57 color, 101 b&w
PLEASE NOTE: We are appending the shipping to include the US and European backers. For shipping beyond these two places, we are asking that backers donate $40 for incentives that include the book.
Selected Awards and Grants:
- POYi: World Understanding Finalist, Portrait, Multimedia
- World Press Photo: A Diary of Healing
- LUMIX Festival for Young Photojournalism: The Distance Between Us
- NPPA Short Grant: The Distance Between Us
- Santa Fe Prize for Photography (HM): The Distance Between Us
- The Aftermath Project Grant (Finalist): For God, Race and Country
- NPPA Best of Photojournalism: The Distance Between Us
- Berenice Abbott Prize; JDPW: For God, Race and Country
- Alexia Foundation: For God, Race and Country
- The New York Times Lens Blog: Interview
- Slate: Behold The Photo Blog
- The Guardian: Review
- The Guardian: Gallery of Images
- BuzzFeed: Interview
- The Huffington Post: Interview
- PetaPixel: Interview
- ABCnews.com: Interview
- ABCnews.com: Gallery of Images
- Burn Magazine: Publication
- NPPA Photo Journal: Interview
- The Daily Mail: Interview
- CBSNEWS.com: Interview
- News Photographers Association of Canada: Blog
- The Dallas Morning News: Interview
- The Dallas Morning News: Blog
- MediaStorm: Blog
- RIT Photography: Blog
- Virginia Quarterly Review: Publication
- Daylight Magazine: Interview
- The New Yorker: The Distance Between Us
- Verve Photo: Interview
- Christopher's website: www.chriscappy.com
Risks and challenges
Every effort will be made to deliver your rewards by December 2013, but please understand if unforeseen circumstances cause delays.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)