About this project
- When approached by “Oasis Reaching for your Dreams” Organisation 8 gang-members decide to start over their lives. They spent 3 months in a camp and through street soccer they attempt to rehabilitate and join the community again.
- In August 2013 they will be chosen to travel from South Africa to Poznan Poland to represent their country and compete for the Homeless World Cup. Using their life experiences as a weapon they now join forces with “Oasis Reaching for your Dreams” to inspire youth and prevent them from street life. Will they reach their goals? Will they stay away from troubles? Chances are very limited as the natural progression of one living in the streets is to end up back where he/she came from ... Or ... Not ?
About "Oasis Reaching For Your Dreams"
- Oasis Reaching For Your Dreams is an NPO that acts in South Africa and its main struggle is to give a shelter to street kids and socially excluded people. The main focus apart from sport development is HIV/AIDS, life skills, peer education, arts/crafts, job creation, specifically targeting street youth & youth in the informal settlements. South Africa has a huge issue with gangsterism and drug dealing because of the poverty.
- Oasis people believe that by targeting youngsters of an early age they are preventing them from being introduced to this rotten status quo.
Where are we at the moment?
We have completed the first part of the documentary. "Turning Point" is been narrated in two parts. I now need to return to South Africa to complete part 2 which covers the present time. For that I am reaching to you and asking for your help. If our campaign is a success I will be able to cover the post production too and share this powerful story.
Why is "Turning Point" important?
"Turning Point" is not "just another documentary". It will be used as a tool to raise awareness and also to urge youngsters in South Africa to try and engage with healthier activities rather than seeking a family in the streets. It will also make Oasis work known hence they can seek support, funding and maybe expand their activities further in more areas.
Kickstarter is not only a powerful crowdfunding platform but it helps creatives to interact with their audience - that's you guys - and share ideas and built up a momentum and keep supporting the film even after the completion. Because this is a project that I consider "a call for an action" the more supporters we get the better the result in the community.
... Kickstarter has an "all or nothing" mentality so if we don't reach the 7000GBP we get nothing and this film remains forever unfinished.
How can YOU help?
I need people to help me to complete this film. And by saying "help me" I am not only referring to your generous pledges; "Turning Point" needs enthusiastic people to help spread the word about the project and the issues that it explores such as homelessness and gangsterism and start a dialogue with individuals and Organisations around the Globe. Use any social media is known to you TWITTER & FACEBOOK are very effective.
Every little bit helps ...
Whether is £1, £10,£100 or £5000 you are helping "Turning Point" to get closer to completion & also the bigger the backing community the better chances we have to attract more people to join us.
"OK, so, what do I get in return?"
Well for starts you are a part of this film already; I started alone having only a prosumer camera in hands and a great story. Now is the time to work towards creating a team. Additionally you'll get to choose some very well thought rewards that hopefully will make you feel more actively involved with the project.
"OK OK, so; where does MY money go?"
Well, I kept the goal in the absolute minimum so that - hopefully, fingers and toes crossed etc - when we do reach the £7000 we could then set a new stretch goal to cover aspects as original scoring, colour grade, festival fees etc. For the time being, here is the breakdown of the overall budget. Remember; this covers Tickets, 30 days in South Africa, some equipment hire, transportation from town to town (the characters I am following are not from the same town) KS FEES, Rewards
- 22 June - Kickstarter campaign ends.
- 22 July - Fly to Cape Town to film part 2.
- 22 August - Depart from South Africa, arrive back in UK.
- 25 August - Editing begins.
- 25 September - Fine Cut.
- 10 October - Final Cut.
- 10 October Sound Mixing / Scoring and Color Grading begins.
- 10 November the film is ready for Festival Circuit.
You don't know me. Yet you are here exploring this story, maybe you will support my efforts, maybe you will be a part of this journey. Whatever the outcome I am thankful to you for spending a little bit of your time for finding out what "Turning Point" is about.
I promise to entertain you and to keep you an active member of our project and to travel you a great journey. If you like football this film is for you. If you like analysing life and seeking a deeper meaning this film is for you, if you like travel the world this film is for you, if you like positive thinking and laughter or tears because of a specific moment this film is for you BUT above all IF YOU WANT TO GET UP FROM YOUR COUCH AND MAKE A SMALL CHANGE THIS FILM IS FOR YOU !
WELCOME ABOARD :)
Risks and challenges
Every film is not something solid, especially documentary; one never knows if his/her hard work and careful planning will give the desirable results. I've been working on "Turning Point" since 2013 thus I had the time to meticulously think my approach towards all stages of production. In addition to this, I have a great access to the characters and their stories as we are really close to each other after so long and that makes my life easier. Whatever the case though I promise to keep you updated about the progress and anything that might come up I will mention it and we will then discuss to find solutions.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (60 days)