Update: All backers at the $8 level and above will get a secret invitation to our release party in the NY area when the magazines get printed. Put your party pants on.
This Machine Makes Fake Magazines
Fortunate Horse Magazine is a collective of comedy writers and designers who create absurd, surrealist fake periodicals and plant them in the real world for unsuspecting people to find and delight in.
Our newest issue is called Mister Cigarette, and we need your unique skills to make it happen.
Mister Cigarette is complete. It's been written and designed, the cover is locked in, and is ready to go the printers. But a Fortunate Horse project doesn't really exist until it's out in the real world. These magazines are meant to be left behind, secreted, installed, and injected into normal, everyday places as if they were actual, published magazines. For that, one needs access to as many real places as possible. We don't have that, we're just a small team. But you reading this, you out there in a place we can't reach, you are the missing ingredient.
By backing this project and receiving your print edition of Mister Cigarette or the original Fortunate Horse Magazine you are becoming a player in a grand project to make the world more absurd, more interesting, more fun.
If we work together, we can get these things in volcano-science base camps, the attaché cases of rich and debauched thrillionaires, that secret sewer beneath the obvious sewer where all the real weirdos live. All this is possible, but only if you climb aboard. Come and join us in the fight to cover the face of the earth in stupid fake magazines
Our new issue, Mister Cigarette, is a lifestyle magazine in the vein of Maxim, Esquire, and Cigar Afficianado, but for awful men who smoke and love cigarettes. Within its yellowed pages you'll find:
- Infographics detailing the hippest new ways to hold cigarettes in your hands
- A 3-page celebrity profile of Donnie Wahlberg
- A gritty exposé from an undercover journalist taking you inside the dangerous underground of Russian tobacco substitutes.
- An advertorial for jet ski trailers
- Fake ads for real things, real ads for fake things
- And we catch up with the Red Hot Chili Peppers to find out what those guys have been up to. Stay crazy, Peps!
This is How We Do It
- You back the project and receive a beautifully printed hard copy of the magazine, or hey a couple of magazines, treat yourself.
- Place them somewhere a reasonable person might expect real magazines to be. OR somewhere no one would ever expect a magazine to be, like in a chest at the bottom of the ocean, or an old baby's crib inside an abandoned psychiatric hospital.
- Go home and enjoy the copy you saved for yourself because you got two. OR if you can, film or photograph a stranger reading it. It's amazing. We've seen people struggle with these things for way too long, then call over strangers to ask them if this magazine is real, then put the magazine in their purse and take it home after they picked it up off the subway floor.
So Can I Get A Tshirt?
No, no tees. All our rewards are designed to get these actual, ridiculous things into your hands. You having these magazines to do with them what you will is the point of the project. No tshirts. No postcards. Only joy. Only fake magazines.
We are a collective of dedicated goofballs in New York City. The folks behind Mister Cigarette and Fortunate Horse have also written for Adult Swim, The Onion, Saturday Night Live, The New Yorker, Funny or Die, McSweeney’s, The UCB, Above Average, The Onion News Network, and Pendulous Breasts Quarterly. Among us are the writers of @chillsitch and the creators of skull graphic tees, the emouija board, spooktacular sounds, and countless other gigs and gags.
Has anyone seen the new issue and had their reaction filmed?
Risks and challenges
A fire at the printers. The collapse of the US Postal Service. Death. Always death.
Always.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)