About this project
The film Heart in the Mandala is a modern Bhutanese love story, tragically scarred by a past once forgotten act of corruption. Employing the motif of our Buddhist Mandala, the film explores human choice, and the interconnectedness of love, human action, divinity, fate and the universe.
The film revolves around the encounter and relationships of three characters: The main character is -Tsomo, a young cabaret dancer who was forced to quit high school to take care of her elder borther, Neten. Ten years ago Neten had a horrible car accident, handicapping him for life. Though he was a brilliant college honors student and aimed high, today, he stays in a dark room, and carves wood. Orphaned as children, Tsomo and Neten are very close, and Tsomo often turns to Neten for wisdom and advice on life. At the cabaret, Tsomo meets Dawa, a private businessman. As they fall in love and start to imagine a future together, they are not aware that they are already connected by a dark past. Dawa indirectly caused Neten’s car accident through a small act of corruption. When this link suddenly reveals itself all 3 characters must re-consider their lives and choices.
We are now asking you to help us make this film, and for your kindness, we have some very unique rewards to send you all the way from Bhutan. Check out some right now:
Special Edition T-shirts and print on canvas painting with original signature!
Below: one of Pema Tshering's water color paintings. We commission an original for you as a reward. See more water color paintings on www.bhutanbackstage.com under "Art of the Week"
Check out Pelden D's (our music composer's) Bhutanese rock album, which is one of the rewards!
WHY we think YOU SHOULD HELP US
- Creative films from Bhutan are rare and few. Considering we just opened our doors to TV and Internet in 1999, our commercial film industry has grown admirably and very profitably. But there is little, if any, support for the production of more creative films, especially short film narratives, in Bhutan.
- Because we are part of a very small group of people in Bhutan trying to nurture creative arts (see www.bhutanbackstage.com) and through this project, you too can be part of this very important movement.
- Because, like all over the world, the victims of corruption are often faceless and nameless, and a film like this has the power to make an act of corruption truly felt.
- Because we want to share Bhutanese films, voices and stories with the world.
- Because we know you too believe in a connected universe, and the legacy of a kind act.
HOW KICKSTARTER WORKS
We are asking you to pledge whatever you can to help us make this film, and with our deepest gratitude, you get really unique rewards, mailed all the way from Bhutan, and straight from our hearts. If we are not able to raise our funding goal amount, then no money is taken from your account, even if you pledged. Its an all or nothing deal.
There is no problem if our funding goal is surpassed, we can make the film even better. :) Our funding goal only represents the minimum required.
WHAT THE MONEY WILL BE USED FOR
Your support will help in all aspects of production- cast, crew, equipment rental, venues, transport, original music, and all post-production (color, sound), sending to festivals.
(none of the video used in the promo video is actually from/for the film, it is just compiled from different past and ongoing projects by us).
Script and development is already complete.
Production will start in late March/early April, right around the time the beautiful spring blossoms come out.
IF YOU CAN'T GIVE MONEY
We'd still appreciate any other support- spread the word, send us warm wishes in your mind.... let the good ripples begin.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
Or would like more information on the film, or the intended style, approach and aesthetic of the film, please feel free to email the Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also check the website www.bhutanbackstage.com to find out more of what we do here in Bhutan! thank you
Support this project
- (57 days)