The Next Steps (season 1) was created in the fall of 2013 by Anthony Fanelli and consisted of 9 episodes. The series was featured on many sites including Funny or Die, The Webisodes Network, Splitsider, Serial Optimist, Film Shortage, Blip TV and more, totaling over 1.8 million and growing every day. Season 1 was independtely produced and the small (to say the least) production team consisted of only Anthony Fanelli and Eric Golowski (Eric was DP, audio and lights). While sound mixing, editing, promoting, etc. was done by Anthony Fanelli.
Chris and Beth have been together for nearly 5 years and the conversation has started about them taking that "next step." However, the stress of trying to have it all; as well as relocating from the midwest to the west coast and the pressure from friends and family back home who don't quite understand how the west coast works, is starting to take its toll on them...welcome to the real world of relationships. This show depicts the honest highs and lows that come with any relationship that every couple can relate to. In the same vein as Louie and Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Next Steps is a very comedic take (albeit sometimes kind of dark) with realistic and relatable scenarios about the ups and downs of a couple that seems to be stuck in a rut as they try to decide what their next steps in life will be.
SEASON 1 RECAP (all episodes have been released)
- Episode 1: Gosling - A simple conversation about Ryan Gosling turns ugly when Beth says how athletic she thinks Gosling is.
- Episode 2: Group Date - Running 15 minutes late for a group date he doesn't want to go on, Chris tries out some new material on a frustrated Beth.
- Episode 3: Girl, Hungover - Only Beth's friends drink too much wine, right? Beth's night out is recapped the morning after in hungover subtitles.
- Episode 4: Picture in the Park - Settling on someone deemed responsible enough take your picture in public is hard.
- Episode 5: Wedding Gift - Chris and Beth discuss about how much each should spend on a mutual friend's wedding.
- Episode 6: Wedding Bet - Chris lays out the over/under on their friend's wedding.
- Episode 7: Post Wedding Chat - Angie (Beth's sister) and Beth discuss Chris and Beth's future, while Chris and Bill (Angie's husband) just want to go get something to eat.
- Episode 8: Sail(s) Pitch - Beth and Angie try their best to convince a skeptical Chris that going on a cruise is more of a voyage (their words) and less of a floating death trap (his words) via a "presentation."
- Episode 9: Friendsgiving - Since Chris are Beth aren't able to go back home for Thanksgiving this year, they have to settle for the terribly overrated and trendy Friendsgiving instead. Let's meet the "friends."
Moving forward, season 2 is going to be bigger and better, with episodes taking place in public, having flashback scenes, more (guest star) cameos and fun scenarios. Ideally, the additional crew needed includes, but is not limited to: • Actors • Editor(s) • DP • 1st AD • Sound Engineer/Mixer • Lighting Tech • Grip, Gaff • Equipment • PA(s)
SEASON 2 EPISODE GUIDE:
- The Check - Egos are put to the test after Beth asks Chris to dinner, but is upset when he suggests going "halfsies."
- Drunk Talk - After their power goes out, Chris and Beth decide to talk politics, finances and the economy.
- Truth Ball - After reading an article in a women's magazine, Chris and Beth play a round of "Truth Ball" where we find out if each of their little quirks are cute or annoying to the other person via flashback.
- The Jennie Situation - Chris and Beth tell their respected sides of what happened when they saw Chris' ex-girlfriend Jennie while on a walk one morning (via flashback).
- Post Coitus - Chris wants to cuddle, Beth just wants to shower "Chris" off.
- Grocery Store Line - Chris and Beth make a bet about what really happened one night while in line at the grocery store while they were drunk. Told via flashback, the 2 discover they both are way off.
- Girls Night Out - Parts I, II & III (quickies) - Beth needs to "purge" once every so often, so her and her friends hit the town. But, when Chris and his buddies accidentally show up at the same place things get awkward.
- Game Night - Parts I, II & III (quickies) - Playing the newlywed game with newlywed co-workers whom you do not know very well, when you are not newlyweds yourself, is a bad idea.
- The Fight (a 15 minute short film) - Is this the end or the beginning? For once Chris and Beth really talk/argue/cry about their future.
The Next Steps on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/thenextstepstv?ref=hl
Anthony on Twitter (@Anthony_Fanelli)
Lyndsey on Twitter (@eatmysnarl)
For more info on Anthony and Lyndsey please see the Full Bio link located in the upper right of this page.
Risks and challenges
Thank you so much for your time. Trust us, we have both been working in this field for many years now and beyond the drive to put an amazing product out there for you, we have the connections and partnerships to make this wonderful endeavor happen! We put together an (well, at least we think it was) awesome season 1 with a shoe string budget and tight time commitments. Moving forward and with your assistance we know you won't be disappointed!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (20 days)