Lovecraft / Cthulhu based Spell Book & RPG / LARP Game
Seriously this may be the best picture I've ever been in.
This project is divided into several possibilities.
The Books: All three spell book options have the same internal components, both in terms of approximately 100 pages of original color content and the hand-made 100% cotton paper. They are all bound by hand, and the content, while originally hand-written, will be printed on the pages except for in the top two tiers. The pages are heavily inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft (see the video and some example pages below).
- Deer Hide Hickory Wood Option: Thickest and heaviest, it is covered in deer hide over 1/4" thick hickory wood panels, with a raised Elder Sign, metal protective corners, and extra thick spine.
- Gold Stamped Option: Imitation leather but good thickness and gold stamped Elder Sign on the cover (see video). It has a flat spine. NOTE: There are two rewards with this cover, a blank journal / sketch book with regular paper, and the printed spell book.
- Goat Hide Option: Thin and light (see video), but with a nicely dyed goat hide cover and a raised Elder Sign. We've worked to make this the least expensive option and hopefully accessible to most fans. NOTE: The Elder Sign in off center in this prototype but will be centered in the final version.
The Pages: The intent behind the book is that it is a tome of spells, rituals, prayers, and history from those who favor the Great Old Ones and that it has been passed down generation to generation with additions along the way. The book is divided into four sections
- Ancient Section: This is the biggest section, and consists mostly of Latin and other ancient languages. Many of the passages taken directly from the Necronomicon were translated into Latin and written here.
- 17th Century Section: This section was added around the time of the Salem witch trials. It is written in the English of the 1600s with different handwriting, and by someone with low spelling and grammar skills. It contains a scattering of ancient magic mixed in with the English.
- Victorian Era Section: Added in the mid 1800s, this section is a much neater handwriting, and generally better English. It adds a few questionable arcane choices, which in turn lead to the fourth and final section.
- Victorian Era Deranged Section: It is unclear if this section was added by the previous author, or by their heir, but for certain this relatively short section shows a distinct degrading in mental stability.
Sample Pages: Here are the pages CURRENTLY available as the "A single rolled A3 sized spell book sheet (a left and right page combo) on cotton paper" reward. We will add more options as stretch goals (and potentially some free pages)
A Note on CUSTOM PAGES: For the options with custom pages (Mage $400 and higher) I will work with you for what you want, but I am a fairly limited artist. What you see in other pages is what you are likely to see more of, just, customized to what you want. I can do words and runes and symbols and simple designs, but I can't, for example, draw realistic characters or horrifying monsters, although I could attempt to copy one by hand if you had something for me to use as a guide.
The Game: From the Back Cover
August 1st, 1883, a Great Old One rose out of the Pacific Ocean and armies of cultists, half breeds, hybrid monstrosities and creatures built from the stuff of nightmares pulled off their disguises and prepared to herald in the coming age of their Master. Ultimately the Old One and the hordes of “Aeonists,” as they called themselves, were defeated.
Unfortunately, your kind were on the side of the Old One
You are an Aeonist, one of the Leftovers of the Apocalypse, and for the last decade you and your people have been hunted down, imprisoned, or worse. Your religious beliefs misunderstood, your people mocked and hated for their differences, and your history and your culture banned or destroyed.
The year is now 1893. The camps are closing, Aeonists are rebuilding their lives, and sunlight has returned to the fields and farms. You may choose to move closer to the Higher Powers you know are out there, or deny their existence. You may attempt to renounce your heritage, or to serve it faithfully, to avenge your people or to help rebuild civilization. The one certainty is that there is no going back.
The Ruleset: This is a ruleset for a Role Playing Game with complete guidelines on how to play it as a Live Action Role Playing (LARP) Game, and a Table Top RPG. It is 260+ pages long, and contains
- Background History and Current World
- Simple Character Creation Process
- Both LARP and Table Top rules mechanics
- Three sets of 72 Damage Cards (printed on paper for copying and using on card stock etc. The actual decks of playing cards are sold separately)
- GM Resources like Spells, Items, NPCs
- A complete introductory scenario which can be played as a Table Top game or a LARP.
The Add-On Damage Card Decks: There are actual playing-card sized card decks available for the combat system. They aren't required (copies of all of them come in the ruleset) but make a great playing aid.
A reprinted version of Poligraphia, by the Monk Johannes Trithemius
This is the scanned text of the actual book published circa 1499 now reprinted on antiqued paper and bound in goat hide. It was listed as banned by the Catholic Church from 1609 to 1900, and is mentioned in the H.P. Lovecraft story "Dunwich Horror". Approximately 276 pages long, it will be printed on thinner paper than the Spell Book, but the paper will still have deckled edges and will be yellowed as parchment paper.
Another great addition to an Lovecraft inspired library.
A reprinted version of De Furtivis Literarum Notis by Giovanni Battista della Porta
This is the scanned text of the actual book published circa 1563 now reprinted on antiqued paper and bound in goat hide. It is a book about cryptography and is mentioned in the H.P. Lovecraft story "Dunwich Horror". Approximately 256 pages long, it will be printed on thinner paper than the Spell Book, but the paper will still have deckled edges and will be yellowed as parchment paper.
Another great addition to an Lovecraft inspired library.
Want them both?
+$275 - Get BOTH antique reprinted and hand-bound books as a single Add-On!!
ADD-ON INSTRUCTIONS: To add an add-on to your pledge, follow these steps:
- Press the 'Manage Your Pledge' Button above. If you have not pledged yet, it will say 'Back this Project'.
- Increase your pledge in the 'Pledge Amount' box by the total of the add-ons you want to add. If you want multiples of the add-ons, just pledge the amount for the total number of add-ons.
- After the end of the Kickstarter campaign you will receive a survey that will ask you questions so that you can explain how you would like the add-on money assigned.
Stretch Goal UNLOCKED - Stretch Goal $20,000 - Spell Book in Color PDF!
I hesitated to do this because I was being a little overprotective of my work, but it is clear backers would get the most use out of the Spell Book if they could also have it as a color pdf so they could print out their own scrolls, separate pages, and other options as props in games or just to have around. So, there you have it.
Stretch Goal UNLOCKED - Stretch Goal $25,000 - FREE Pinkerton Government Services Official File
What is this file you ask?
In general - This is a custom printed prop folder filled with loose pages analyzing the content of the spell book. It will have the look of a rough document from a fictional government organization with handwritten and typewriter typed commentary (Not a font. I actually bought a manual typewriter for this)
For those getting a book - It will translate all the Latin text, and all the R'lyehian text, while also interpreting a few of the diagram or mystical symbol pages. It will cover 30 of the interior book pages (mostly from the Ancient section). There will still be a few untranslated pages in the book in other languages, but the Latin and R'lyehian will all be translated.
For those getting a game and not the book - Each of these pages in the file can be used as a prop in a game to reference a book, even if you don't have the book physically on hand, and make a great addition to either a Table Top or LARP scenario.
Stretch Goal UNLOCKED $30,000 - More Pages to the Pinkerton File!
The Pinkerton Sketch Files and a 200+ word dictionary of R'lyehian!
The game rule book already contains all of the Pinkerton Sketch files, but many of them are 1/4 page size. We will reprint them here as full size individual pages. Example
However, since that is not new content, merely higher quality content, we will also be adding a printed 200+ word R'lyehian ancient language dictionary in a short academic paper as well.
R'lyehian (or Cthuvian) is the language used in this famous quote "ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn." which translates into “In his house at R’lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.”
Most R’lyehian (or Cthuvian) dictionaries online have approximately 86 words translated from the language originally created by H.P. Lovecraft. I’ve taken those dictionaries, and expanded them to 200+ words by taking a logical look at the syntax and using that to build new words. For example
- ep = after
- hai = now
- Therefore ephai = Later (literally "after now")
- If you add agl which = place Then ephaiagl = Future (literally "place in the after now")
With this as a guide, I was able to more than double the existing vocabulary without having to create anything wholesale.
Stretch Goal UNLOCKED $35,000 - Another Antique Book Add-On!
We have two antique book add-ons as it stands now, if we hit this goal, we'll add another $150 book to the options, printed on the same style paper and goat hide binding at the first two.
Buying all three add-ons would normally be $450, but we'll make the Library in a Box deal $425 only for Kickstarter backers.
NOTE: Stretch goals apply only to pledge levels of $45 and higher.
We will continue to add more stretch goals as we unlock the current ones.
The Lovecraft based Spell Book and RPG just got more interesting...
Tell your friends!
Risks and challenges
The hand-made books are the most challenging, and take the most time. If the turn-out for these books is greater than anticipated, I am willing to expand the team to ensure these get done professionally and without a huge delay.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)