29 of july 2016:
We can´t believe it!!! We are funded. We are not standing still here, even we have 4 more days left.
We contacted today all material suppliers, we already ordered aluminium, adapter chipsets and so on cause we want that you the as one of the first your Adapter in your hand!
You rock backers!
Ethernet Adapter for Apple iOS Devices
The idea from RB-Connect was born when my wife was in our kitchen and had no wifi signal at all for her iPad. For 10 years I create high end telecom communication tools and when I spoke to my senior engineer Peter Simon about this Ethernet problem for iOS we found a way to do it.
After some research we figured out, that there is a way from Apple to get an Ethernet wired connection for Apple iOS devices without using external power to the device. At the same time we found a way for not using an external USB Hub, or Ethernet switch vs. a ton of cables to enable this ethernet IP-Stack. That was the day RB-Connect was born.
Why we want to create RB-Connect? The picture shows the old way to get Ethernet cable speed for iOS. The setup is complex, you needed several adapters, cables and external power supply.
Internal corporate and networks in educational institutions are often restricted to devices with ethernet access like in Hotels, Airplanes, Hospitals, Web-agencies where you can often get much faster internet speeds over a wired network connection.
Is the prototype working?
Yes! After creating the prototype, my wife got one of our first prototype samples of RB-Connect how you can see in our video. We connected this Adapter in our house with our internal power line to get full 100 Mbit from room to room (also shown in the video) and for several weeks it is working stable.
As friends and business partners visited us, they asked if this adapter could be useful for other scenarios like in Hotels, Airplanes, Service, Administrators, Cameras, Video Encoders, Video switches, Developers, Telcos, etc. We think it is interesting for several people and business fields where we cannot imagine today what can be possible when you have ethernet cable connection to iOS device.
Be creative...That´s why we are here, to see if you backers want that RB-Connect come to market.
If this campaign succeeds we want to shrink the size of the adapter for another 20-30% (smaller). It is currently smaller than any other USB HUB + 100 Mbit Port that we know.
How to install?
You connect the Lightning Adapter (include in the package) to the RB-Connect Connector, and from the other side you put your ethernet cable in. You have to disable your local wifi and mobile connection and after 4-6 seconds the iOS operating system will give you a new IP address from your DHCP enabled router. Here you can see the RB-Connect final prototype. There is no special software required to use it. It will work with Apps like Whats´s App, Facebook, Email Client, Safari Browser, SSH Clients and many other apps.
1) Can I use wireless and wired at the same time?
- No. You can only use wireless or wired.
2) Does the Adapter require external power or battery?
- No. RB-Connect does not require external power or has an internal battery. It works out of the box without additional software.
3) Is the white Lightning to USB Adapter from Apple include?
- Yes, we only use original Apple Components. An original Apple Adapter with certificate lighting connector is included.
4) How high are the shipping costs?
- Shipping costs are included and listed in each backed plan.
5) Why are there no more countries where you ship RB-Connect? We plan to extend the numbers of countries after the campaign. Please support the $1 Dollar plan to get notify when we are able to ship RB-Connect to more countries. Please send us request if your country is currently not listed for shipping. Thanks for your understanding.
6) Is there a way to setup the IP Address?
- DHCP is required from the device you connect to the RB-Connect. However, it is possible to set a fixed IP from your router for each iOS Device which you connect with a RB-Connect Adapter.
7) Does RB-Connect work in Flight Mode with disconnect Wifi?
8) How long is the internal battery life when we use RB-Connect?
In our tests with a new iPad AIR the battery life was better than having the internal wifi on. This is cause the internal iOS Wifi chipsets consume more battery power than RB-Connect components.
9) What is the maximum speed? It depends on the protocol where you make the speed test. At TCP Level for example, we reach around 85-90Mbit/sec. Maximum speed of RB-Connect is 100 Mbit/sec.
10) What kind of electronic is used?
- The electronic components and PCB design are secrets and signed under NDA (None of disclosure agreement) between us and our chipset partners. What we can share is that RB-Connect requires several Microprocessors to enable a full working ethernet stack at a very low power level to get Ethernet for iOS. It´s not a simple cable, it´s a complex electronic device.
11) Is there an official RB-Connect Page?
Yes, the RB-Connect Adapter is located here: https://rbconnect.rebotnix.com
Update from 5th of Juli 2016
We got so many requests from the community to answer which iOS device works with RB-Connect.
Here is the latest list with all the devices that we tested today (5th Juli 2016). Send us all requests and questions you have. We answer them as soon as we can.
iPhones iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s iPhone SE iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus
iPad´s iPad with Retina Display iPad mini, iPad mini 2 iPad Air, iPad Air 2 iPad mini 3 iPad mini 4 iPad Pro (9.7"), iPad Pro (12,9")
Some fields of Applications:
Risks and challenges
We made our electronic with standard chipsets, but the component dealer can may have delivery delays of these chipsets where we have to find another stock. Currently we got the confirmation that all elements are in stock for the amount of first bunch of RB-Connect Adapters that we want to create with this Kickstarter campaign. That´s the only risk we see here. The case is made in-house with our own Machines and the black powder coating is also made in our home town.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)