About this project
We offer a summary for the content of all pledges and options!
Depending on your pledge, watch the corresponding picture. Each image also shows the available options. Click here to check this complete summary!
The PDF of Book 2 (a 140 p. book for Game Leaders) is now unlocked and automatically included without any additional fee for the following pledges: High Shadow, Farl Collector, Tuaille Collector, Gouvran Merchants, Seòl Patron, and Lord of Shadows.For the Tri-Kazelian and Varigal pledges, you must select the “High Shadow” option ($15 and $10 respectively) to get this PDF.
On the occasion of the famous Black Friday, and since our campaign is drawing to a close, we have decided to introduce several exclusive offers: If you take the same option twice, you will get a third one for free!
Esteren Christmas Set: Take one, get another for $20!
As you have probably read in a previous update, we have designed a special Christmas option: the Esteren Christmas Sets. You can learn more about these here.
On the occasion of this Black Friday, we are adding a special option: if you take an Esteren Christmas Set, you can get a second one for only $20!
Shipping costs are included worldwide for a destination of your choice. The objective is to have this package delivered before Christmas. If you have a reward that will be delivered in March, rest assured that this Christmas package will still be delivered in December. If you like Esteren and want to introduce one of your friends to this universe while supporting our work, do not hesitate!
Option 10 – Get access to the work forum "Engine Room" for the translation of Book 2 Travels and get the PDF in priority (included for Seol Patron and Lords of Shadows, $20 for others pledges).
This very special option will give you access to a private part of the forum where the game's team will show you, piece by piece, the contents completed for Book 2 Travels (whether translations, additional content, or illustrations).
We are glad to present you this new Kickstarter campaign for Shadows of Esteren's Book 0 Prologue! On the occasion of this new campaign, we propose you to follow the journey of our muse, Varigal Yldiane... Check this video:
The contents of the page are quite dense, the reason being that we wanted to present our work in the most exhaustive and interesting way possible. To keep track of it all, here is a summary of the contents of this Kickstarter page:
- 1. Stretch Goals!
- 2. The Pledges
- 3. Options for the Pledges
- 4. Description of the Items of Each Pledge
- 5. Introduction for a Horrific and Gothic RPG
- 6. Book 0 – Prologue: Contents
- 7. PDF Extract from Book 1 - Universe
- 8. Standard Edition and Limited Edition
- 9. Original Drawings
- 10. The Project and its Intentions
- 11. Shadows of Esteren: the Game System
- 12. The Art of Esteren
Help Yldiane the Varigal to go as far as possible in her journey...!
On the occasion of this new Kickstarter, we have designed the stretch goals as a great journey undertaken by our muse, young Varigal Yldiane. Here is the map of her expedition (Click on the map to see a larger version):
The title of each step holds clues about its contents... These will be revealed once they are unlocked... but Yldiane changed her mind and here is the new route for hey journey! Let's explore stranges places:
Here are stretch goals achieved. You can click on an image for details on each stretch goal:
A color code indicates when your reward will be delivered:
Now, here are the various pledges proposed for this new Kickstarter:
- TUAILLE COLLECTOR TWIN - The contents of this pledge are the same as for TUAILLE COLLECTOR, with a single exception: the leader screen included in this pledge is the new version (the green-colored one).
- Pledges for Retailers
Only for qualified retailers. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a confirmation before you make your pledge.
For this Kickstarter campaign, we propose you several options, which vary according to the pledge taken.
To get these options, simply add the required sum. You do NOT need to send us a message.
that you can take several options. After the Kickstarter is finished,
we will ask the backers for what extras they have pledged in the backer
survey we will send out. As always, if you have any questions, ask away!
Each pledge offers several options. Before we begin, here are two important options that affect all pledges:
- Option 1 – Receive the PDF of Book 0 Prologue right now!
This option allows you to get the PDF of Book 0 Prologue right now, without having to wait for the end of the Kickstarter campaign. To subscribe to this option, please go to the website of Studio 2 and and buy the PDF on their online store by clicking here.
This special offer will only last for the Kickstarter campaign and is open to all.
Afterward, if you choose to acquire one or several of your pledge's options, you can deduce from them the $5 paid for the PDF. For example, if you choose “Farl Collector” for $80 and you want to receive the PDF of Book 0 right away, you first have to buy the PDF on Studio 2's online sotre. Then, during the campaign, if you decide to also take a copy of Book 1 Universe, you can deduct the $5 paid for the PDF and therefore only have to add $20. This option is available for all the pledges.
- Option2 – Receive a Standard copy of Book 0 – Prologue in December!
If your pledge includes items that will be delivered in March 2013, by choosing this option, you will get one copy of Book 0 – Prologue Standard edition in December 2012. For a delivery in the U.S, please add $20 to get this option ; to ship outside the US please add $20 more. Please note that the retail price for this item will be $14,99. The price of this pledge is high because it includes the shipping, which can go up to $50 for an international delivery. Sorry for that!
For example, if you have chosen “Farl Collector”, your pledge is $80, and your rewards will be delivered in March 2013. If you want to receive a copy of the Standard edition of Book 0 Prologue in December, and you live in the U.S, you will have to add $20 to your pledge. If you live in Australia, you will have to add $40 to your pledge. This option can be selected for all the pledges.
Here are the others options:
- Option 3 – Add a Standard copy of Book 0 – Prologue to your pledge (variable cost).
By adding a certain amount (which is different according to the pledge taken; see “2. The Pledges” for more information), you can get an additionnal copy of the Standard softcover edition of Book 0 Prologue.
- Option 4 – Add a Standard copy of Book 1 – Universe to your pledge (variable cost).
By adding a certain amount (which is different according to the pledge taken; see “2. The Pledges” for more information), you can get a copy of the Standard edition of Book 1 – Universe, Shadows of Esteren's core book.
- Option 5 – Upgrade your Farl Collector pledge to a Tuaille Collector for $80.
option is only available to the Seol Patron and High Seol Patron
pledges. By adding $80, you upgrade the initial content of your Farl
Collector pledge to a Tuaille Collector. Thus, a backer who takes this
option gets: Book 0 – Prologue Limited Edition + PDF Prologue + Printed
clues + Printed premades + Set of character sheets + Leader screen + CD
Album “Of Men and Obscurities” + Book 1 – Universe Limited Edition + PDF
Universe + Universe Artworks + Universe T-shirt + Map of Tri-Kazel +
Universe special bookmark.
You also gain access to the specific options of the “Tuaille Collector” pledge.
- Option 6 - Add a Game Leader Screen new edition to your pledge for $15.
For Tri-Kazelian, Varigal, Farl Collector and Seol Patron only, add $15, and in addition to your rewards, you will receive a copy of the new Game Leader Screen. For Tuaille Collector, add only $10. We would like to warn you because if you take this option, the date of delivery for Varigal rewards will not be December 2012, but March 2013 (except PDF rewards). This option is automatically included without any additional fee for the following pledges: High Seol Patron and Lords of Shadows (as well as Lords of Shadows of the previous Kickstarter!).
- Option 7 – Upgrade your Book 0 Standard Edition (softcover) to a Book 0 Kickstarter Edition (hardcover) for $10.
For Tri-Kazelian an Varigal, add $10, and your standard edition of Book 0 Prologue in softcover will be upgraded in a Kickstarter Special Edition in hardcover. Instead of your standard edition of Book 0 Prologue, you will receive a Kickstarter Special Edition of Book 0 Prologue but take into account that the date of delivery will not be December 2012, but March 2013 for all your rewards (except PDF rewards).
- Option 8 – Add a Kickstarter Special Edition copy of Book 0 – Prologue (hardcover) to your pledge (variable cost).
For Farl Collector add $15 and for Tuaille Collector add $10, and in addition to the Limited Edition with included shipping costs, you will get a “Kickstarter Special Edition” of Book 0 – Prologue. For Tri-Kazelian an Varigal, add $20, and in addition to the Standard Edition with included shipping costs, you will get a “Kickstarter Special Edition” of Book 0 – Prologue. As above, please take into account that the date of delivery will not be December 2012, but March 2013 for all your rewards (except PDF rewards).
- Option 9 – Add a Esteren Christmas Set to your pledge for $70 - Delivery in December!
To have more info about this special option, you can click here.
Now, here are more details about what each item corresponds to:
Book 1 – Universe. This
Kickstarter is also the opportunity to get Shadows of Esteren's core
book (hardcover, 280 pages full color book) and the latest copies of the limited edition. It gives a subjective description of the peninsula of Tri-Kazel,
from the point of view of its inhabitants. It also includes the complete
There are still 160 copies of the limited edition (initial print run of 600).
- Map of Tri-Kazel. A large map displaying the peninsula of Tri-Kazel on the front, and a plan of the capital city Osta-Baille on the back
- Clues. Clues are documents summing up what the PCs will gather through the scenarios proposed in Book 0 Prologue: map, plan, letter, etc. With the stretch goal "Fearil", the number of printed clues has been increased. With the stretch goal "Expiation", the clues come in a special folder.
- Pre-made Characters. We have designed abridged versions of the pre-made characters, which fit on one page and are perfect for an initiation to Shadows of Esteren. With the strech goal "Expiation", pre-made characters comes in a special folder:
- Set of Character Sheets. These four-section character sheets have been designed and printed thanks to the first Kickstarter. We are proposing you the last ones. Each set contains 6 character sheets:
- Leader Screen. This three-section screen, printed on hard cardboard, has all the necessary technical information for the leader on the back:
- Artwork Esteren. The artworks are printed Shadows of Esteren illustrations. The Tuaille Collector pledge includes the last artwork sets from the first Kickstarter. Each set contains six reproductions in a special folder:
- Shadows of Esteren T-Shirts. Also included in the Tuaille Collector pledge, and specially made on the occasion of the first Kickstarter:
- Bookmark. Bookmarks designed and printed on the occasion of the Kickstarters. The last ones of the version proposed on the occasion of the first Kickstarter are available in the Tuaille Collector pledge.
If you have any questions, ask away!
Here is a quick introduction to the universe of Shadows of Esteren, also taken from the official blog:
Shadows of Esteren is a medieval role-playing game, with an emphasis on the horrific and the Gothic. Drawing inspiration from Celtic myths, this universe has a discreetly fantastic side hidden under a bleak, realistic surface. This world is populated with humans who have to cope with tough daily lives, and face a supernatural threat lurking in the dark. With the focus of its adventures being investigation and survival, Shadows of Esteren is a game that favors an immersive mood and interactions among the Players.
This particular atmosphere is drawn from several sources of inspiration: the harshness and romanticism of Mel Gibson’s Braveheart; the universes of Tim Burton, particularly the one of Sleepy Hollow; Hayao Miyazaki’s Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Princess Mononoke; as well as Berserk, the manga by Kentaro Miura. Regarding role-playing, Shadows of Esteren would be somewhere between Ravenloft and Call Of Cthulhu.
Here is more about the four main themes of the game:
- A Dark Universe. Esteren is a harsh, medieval world where the Characters will be confronted with horror and multi-faced threats. However, this does not imply they are doomed to perish; their survival will depend on their ingenuity and bravery. Gothic tradition can be found in awe-inspiring landscapes where the forces of nature rage, a perfect setting for tragic and passionate stories.
- Low Fantasy. In Esteren, there are no fantasy peoples such as elves or dwarves, nor are there fireball-casting wizards. Although supernatural elements are far from absent, they manifest in a subtle manner, giving way to a gritty, realistic universe.
- An Intuitive Game System. Shadows of Esteren is a game of atmosphere, where immersion and interactions among the Players have priority over any kind of simulative gameplay. This is why the game system was designed to be intuitive and easy to become familiar with.
Prologue introduces a first journey into the universe of the Shadows of Esteren role-playing game. Within this 80-page full color book, you will find:
1/ An introduction to the universe. Discover the leading concepts of the game, as well as a general presentation of the universe.
2/ A summary of the game system. All the necessary elements for comprehending Shadows of Esteren’s system and playing your first adventures.
3/ Six sample Characters. Illustrated and ready to play Characters: the Varigal Yldiane, the fighter Arven, the fugitive Ean, the scholar Liam, the Ionnthén Mòr, and the Blade knight Urvan.
4/ Three adventures. The triptych Omens presents three very different scenarios, which are nevertheless linked by the same recurring theme. They are intended for Players and Leaders of all levels.
- Poison. An ideal adventure to discover Esteren or even make your first steps into role-playing. The village of Melwan is threatened by a poisoning; will you be able to find out its origin and stop it?
- Loch Varn. Delve into the edges of nightmare in an elaborate adventure with original narrative concepts, and unveil the secrets of Loch Varn’s vale.
- Red Fall. One person dead and another missing. Investigate in Dearg and have a first look at the vale in which the first episode of the official campaign will be set.
For those who do not know Shadows of Esteren, we have also put online an extract from the PDF of the core book, Book 1 – Universe. You can download it freely here. The Book 1 Universe is a 280 pages hardcover book in full color.
The standard edition of Book 0 Prologue is full-color softcover book of 80 pages. This version is exactly the same as the one that was published in France, in its original version. Here is a picture of the original French version and its limited edition:
The limited edition of Book 0 – Prologue is also a book of 80 pages,
but its cover is hard and engraved, in the same style as Book 1 –
Universe. (the mask on the cover will be different). The print run of this book will be determined by the success
of the Kickstarter campaign, but it will not go beyond 600 copies.
The Limited Edition is exclusive for this Kickstarter and will never be sold in stores.
This very limited offer will give you the opportunity to have your Character (or you!) drawn by an artist from the Shadows of Esteren team. This Character will then be used in a following opus of the series.
- The $250 pledges include a monochrome drawing in this style (realized by Gawain):
- The $600 pledges include a full-size, full-color drawing of your Character like this, realized by Nico:
- The $1000 pledge includes a full-size, full-color drawing of your Character like this, realized by Gawain:
- The $2000 pledge includes an original painting by Chris (around 12 x 16 inches). Take note that the original work will not necessarily look like the version printed in the books or shown online. Here is a picture of the original taken in Germany at Essen:
- The $5000 pledge includes a large-format original painting by Chris (around 16 x 24 inches), which will be realized according to the instructions of the backer, under the artistic supervision of Nelyhann. Here is another example of the art of Chris:
The game system of Shadows of Esteren has been designed to support the atmosphere and encourage interactions among the Characters. Therefore, it relies on simple, intuitive mechanics so as not to burden the narration, particularly during combats, which are meant to be quick and violent. A particular importance has been given to the creation of the Characters, and the evolution of their mental condition. In Book 1 Universe, the game system takes about a hundred pages out of the 280 that make up the book.
Check the FAQ to learn more.
The illustrations and the visual atmosphere of Shadows of Esteren are a very important aspect of the project.
Here are a few samples, some of which were orders realized for the Lords of Shadows of the first Kickstarter:
Risks and challenges
Today, Book 0 Prologue is ready to be sent to our printer. We hope to be able to send the copies of the Standard edition to the backers as soon as December, and it will be available in shops at the same time or soon after. However, the realization of the bonuses, game aids, and limited hardcover version will depend entirely on the success of this Kickstarter campaign. The printing process can only begin afterward, which is why the delivery date is announced for March 2013. This is also the reason why we propose an option for the backers who subscribe for the Limited Edition, so that they may get the Standard version in December.
It will all depend on your support... we are counting on you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)