Menthu's Back! Kicking Bad Guys in the Face Since the Gods Walked the Earth!
MENTHU - YEAR of COMICS!
Black Inc! Imprints presents the Year of Comics campaign featuring my character Menthu. Receive six bi-monthly issues digitally & physically.
This "year of publishing" campaign is insane for a one-man comic book creator. Fortunately, I have a few friends chipping in. It's great when other talented professionals ask if they can be a part of one's brainchild. The result is a storyline that is as deep as it is wide.
With a bit of your financial help and more importantly, with your patronage, we'll successfully produce one full year of sequential comics. Full color at that. All of it at the industry's highest quality levels.
Menthu is a present-day story based on Egyptian mythology, set in Los Angeles. "Where ancient Egypt meets the modern world." Menthu's initial story arc is a father/son narrative. It features Rashan N'Shanga, who, upon learning that he's an Egyptian sungod, sets out on a quest to figure out exactly what being a "god" means.
His quest takes him to the Khert Neter, ancient Egypt's "Underworld", ultimately to reunite with his father Anhur, the pantheon's wargod. Ultimately Rashan then returns to Los Angeles. This is where the new year of stories starts.
As Rashan N'Shanga, he begins a pro football career. As Menthu, he deals with his new status as LA's iconic hero. Consequently, mortal & supra-mortal enemies come out of the woodwork to battle him.
The Glyph Awards recognize the best in comics made by, for, and/or about people of color from the preceding calendar year. My other comic, The Roach received the inaugural Glyph “Rising Star” Award.
- Menthu Reviews
- The Roach --including the Glyph"Rising Star"Award: World Lingo
- World Famous Comics
- Mike Hamersky, Comic-Con International '12's comics blogger of the year
- Comic Buyer's Guide's 3 out of 4 Stars review: http://www.atomicavenue.com/atomic/titledetail.aspx?TitleID=3377
- "Trouble Man" story's B&W preview has already received a of 9 out of 10 stars review: http://makeitsomarketing.tripod.com/popularcultureblog/
Please websearch the supporting creators to see their numerous awards.
Also, to keep the conversation going--or to start up something new, be sure to drop by our Facebook Page:
BIOS & LINKS
I freelance as an illustrator (comics, storyboards, concept designs, etc.), working manually & digitally. I also teach in Otis College of Art & Design's Continuing Education program. Since moving to Los Angeles, the bulk of my work has been in the entertainment industry, but have held a variety of jobs in in my cross country & cross ocean travels.
I have 15+ years as a storyboard artist (features--live action & animation, commercials, TV animation, etc.) & 15+ years in the comics industry. And I've also used my Japanese skills on events, a film (Sucker Punch), and a company in Tokyo.
- 4ºC's website: http://www.studio4c.co.jp/english/
- The Product Page (my name in Japanese is written as ローチ・ロバート): http://studio4c.shop-pro.jp/?pid=24333049
- GEOFF THORNE. Geoff is a TV writer and a comic creator (Leverage seasons 3 thru 5, Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, Ben 10: Omniverse & many other programs) geoffreythorne.com
- TODD HARRIS is Geoff's imaginative partner when it comes to comics. The two of them comprise the creatively lethal duo, GENRE 19. Todd's a Cal Arts graduate. His work as a story & concept artist on films include Ninja Assassin, Wolverine, In Time & on popular video games such as God of War 2 has been visionary.http://www.brocasso.com/#!/main
- LARRY WELCH, a seasoned comic book pro, will ink my pencils on the these five issues of artwork. He's been a "pro's pro" at inking since 1992. Though Larry's skills can be seen throughout the entire comics industry--"Big 2", mid-major or indies, he also has a number of personal creations that may soon bust onto the scene. http://studio-jade.deviantart.com/
- COREY GREENE may be a relative newcomer to the industry, but he's a newcomer with a lot of talent & promise. His coloring just needs a chance to break through. Maybe "Black Inc! Imprints' Year of Comics" is exactly that chance. http://greenelantern.deviantart.com/
- HANNIBAL TABU is the principal writer on a 3-parter, The Anger of Angels. Comic book fans out there understand me when I say this narrative is being executed in a "Lee-Kirby" manner. Like Geoff, HT's writing credits are voluminous. In addition to being the creator of It's Komplicated Komplicated.com, the singular webplace spotlighting "Black geek aesthetic," Hannibal is an accomplished novelist, journalist, karaoke host, comics critic, poet, DJ, web producer, & graphic designer. His personal website, The Operative Network, can be found http://operative.net
- JOHN JENNINGS http://www.buffalo.edu/home/feature_story/black-comix.html.html
- ROD MOJICA
- Tony Stewart (out of Atlanta) http://anthonystewartfineart.com/
- Bryan Taylor
- Tone Rodriguez
- Casey Kehoe (video shooting facilities) http://www.crackdogthemovie.com/
- Masami Kagayama (editing) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiL_mWvB8BA
OTHER INFORMATION Since I'm the "creative effort's eye of the storm," I can't afford to procrastinate. The thoroughly researched Egyptian mythology Menthu is set in the equally vivid Los Angeles setting. These books are filled with the wonderful nuances of great storytelling.
All work is being performed by top industry talent. I am excited to say it is award winning work.
YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS ALL FUNDS GO DIRECTLY TOWARD PRODUCING THE BOOKS. This campaign if for a great creative work by artist passionate about their craft - the graphic novel!
PREMIUMS Comics and art items will be hand embossed with my personally designed, private seal of authenticity
A BUNCH of art & info about your rewards is below. Thanks for dropping in. Thanks for your support.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Soberly looking at an indie comic publishing project, 3 main challenges exist: 1) executing quality work in the industry's top 10-15%;
2) completing the work on schedule;
3) publicizing & distributing the project to fans & a wider audience.
Planning well & working hard tackles these challenges & gives a project its best chance for success.
Having stated these principal hurdles, this is how we're clearing them:
1) In spite of the knowledge that I draw well & tell a story well, I've consistently bounced my efforts off fellow pros to get their insights. Proof of the work's volume & decent quality is above. Everyone else participating (except Corey) is also a seasoned professional, at the tops of their games. This being both a project of pride & passion, we're all exerting our top efforts.
2) As stated above, most of my pencil work is done. All the stories have been scripted. Geoff & Todd, whose book isn't due for distribution until May '13, have begun the artwork. (Plus, Todd & I have spoken about the rewards, carving out spaces in the art & storytelling to fulfill these promises. Geoff & Hannibal are also on board.)
Larry is both good & fast. I reiterate: he's good & fast. The first 3.5 books he'll ink are already prepped. Once I'm fairly assured we can achieve this campaign's goals, he's ready to go to work (at FAR less than his usual rate, as a favor). He's committed to working on "Menthu" full time, so the line art will quickly be finished.
To make things easiest for Corey, my wife & I will be doing his colors' flats & then e-mailing the pages to Chicago for him to finish. This being our project, we're HIGHLY MOTIVATED at keeping the comics on schedule & the work at the best level. I'm also lettering 5 of the 6 books & doing all the pre-press work myself (over 70% of the lettering is done) so I'm on top of this challenge too.
The cover artists are already working, so this aspect--arguably the easiest--is way ahead of schedule.
3) A professional online content manager & a mainstream media publicist are already helping me develop my marketing strategies, giving the "Year of Comics" campaign its best chance to successfully take out this difficulty. In fact, they're waiting for this Kickstarter campaign to commence so that the larger PR campaign may include this effort. So don't be overly surprised if you see info about this year of comics in another medium. These efforts will be ongoing throughout the entire calendar year.
I hope this info begins to comprehensively identify the major risks/challenges inherent in such an undertaking & how we're addressing these.
Additionally, since I'm prepping all the rewards (for example, having executed the new art for the portfolios & for the digital wallpaper), this work has been my responsibility. And this work--just like the comic's pencil art & lettering for which I'm responsible is over 70% done before embarking on this crowdfunding campaign--is complete.
My wife & I are well versed in packing & shipping, so this aspect does not present much of a challenge. But I hope my mentioning it will further put folks at ease.
Having indie published TWICE before (& receiving excellent reviews), I understand quite well how things happen. And I'm aware that the unexpected may be just around the corner. "The best laid plans...." & all of that. If any deviation from these plans arises--someone gets sick or in an accident or kidnapped or such--rest assured we'll keep all of our well wishers fully informed in a timely manner.
However, as long as all of the principals remain healthy (with their hands & their heads) & we're able to meet their meager financial needs, we're completely good-to-go.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
A BIG TIME "Arigatou Gozaimasu" (Japanese for "Thank You") at our Facebook Page & in an issue of "Menthu". Please let us know if you want to be incognito & we'll PM you.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
3 Menthu-related digital wallpapers. Some of the art is exclusive, showing up for the first time in this digital format. [Plus everything at the $10 level.]Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
Digital copies of "Menthu" #5 & #6. [Plus everything at the $25 level.]Estimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
5-piece, letter-sized Menthu portfolio, featuring new, original art. The prints are on fine card stock. Also, ALL physical artwork/comics being sent as rewards will be embossed with my private, personally designed seal of authenticity & signed by the related creators [Plus all the stuff at the $50 level.]Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
Physical copies of "Menthu" #5 & #6. [Plus everything at the $75 level.]Estimated delivery:
Pledge $125 or moreYou selected
A "Menthu Kickin'" T-shirt. Stock is limited to 1 dozen "Large" & 3 dozen "XL". International shipping, please add $10. [Plus everything at the $100 level.]Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $125 or moreYou selected
A Black Inc! Imprints "Inkpot" Logo T-shirt. International shipping, please add $10. [Plus everything at the $100 level.]Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $150 or moreYou selected
RELATED TO REWARDS #13, #13 & #15--add $150 to your pledge & you may buy the original page on which you appear. Here are the rules: 1) First come, first serve. This is in case 2 or more models share the same page. We'll send lo-rez Jpegs or PDFs of the art to all participating models once their particular story's line art is inked. 2) The higher level contributor takes precedence; sorry if this seems draconian (I believe EVERY contribution is important & a sign that you like what we're doing), but we must have ways to break ties. 3) If you get bumped by either rule #1 or #2, you'll have the option to buy for $100: A) Another original 11" by 17" page from the book in which you appear or; B) an alternate 11" by 17" page from the "Menthu" origin arc.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $150 or moreYou selected
Physical copies of the "Menthu" 4-issue origin arc. International shipping, please add $10. [Plus everything at the $125 level. But only one T-Shirt--either "Kickin'" or the "Inkpot". Don't be greedy!]Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $200 or moreYou selected
Digital copies of the ENTIRE "Year of Comics"--"Menthu" #5 thru #10. International shipping, please add $10. [Plus everything at the $150 level--with the same disclaimer in effect.]Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
Physical copies of the ENTIRE "Year of Comics"--"Menthu" #5 thru #10. Remember: ALL physical artwork/comics will be embossed with my seal of authenticity & signed by the related creators (other than the $1,000 reward art). International shipping, please add $10. [Plus everything at the $200 level.]Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $275 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (50 left of 50)
Copies of the San Diego Comic-Con '12 Limited Edition sneak peeks. Only 50 pairs available. International shipping, please add $10. [Plus everything at the $250 level.]Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $350 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (11 left of 12)
Your chosen model in the comic--foreground or background of the composition. You'll also have the option of buying the original page on which you appear (please check the rules at "Reward #9"). International shipping, please add $10. [Plus everything at the $275 level.]Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (7 left of 8)
Your chosen model in an interactive, speaking role. But be aware that you might get attacked by a bad guy or have your belongings destroyed or such. You'll also have the option of buying the original page on which you appear (again, please check the rules at "Reward #9"). International shipping, please add $10. [Plus everything at the $250 level.]Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (2 left of 2)
2 exclusive, each "one-of-a-kind" pieces of art from the TV show "Medium" (May 14, 2010). Each laser-printed piece is 18" by 24" & on mounted canvas. "Menthu," "The Roach" & other Black Inc! items were used as set dressing in the episode's comic book store. Please add $15 to defray packing & shipping costs. International shipping, please add $25. [Plus everything at the $500 level.] (You know it, but I'll say it again; please check the rules at "Reward #9")Estimated delivery:Add $25 USD to ship outside the US
- (42 days)