The World’s First High-End DSP Wireless Headphone with Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC Pairing.
A. Introduction: A (R)evolution of the Headphone through the Latest Research in DSP Technology
Let’s face it: headphones have been on the market for more than 50 years now. Year after year, new products come up – always offering more additional features and new designs. However, a closer look at the technological side of the product reveals that the changes often merely concern the design. When it comes to technology, not much has happened throughout the years. That’s due to the fact that there is a limit of what you can accomplish inside the size of a headphone. Until now…
With our new Headphone Divine, we take a huge step forward by combining the long experience of mechanical knowledge with the latest sound engineering technologies:
- DSP sound optimization, including an algorithm for both frequency and impulse response.
- Bluetooth 4.0 technology with aptX® Codec – no cables, no chaos (however, we also include a by-pass cable, so that you can connect the headphone to any 3,5mm jack).
- NFC that pair your headphones without hassle
- Large battery, 14 Hours of continuous playback at full volume.
- New: Works on PC and Mac via Bluetooth or the new Cable (See update #4).
In the following, we will give you a short overview over our project (B.), about who we are (C.) and, last but not least, about why our idea will be of interest for you (D.).
In this Video we demo the App and Headphones.
In the App Demo Video you can only hear the difference between DSP Presets! (Please note: It is not the final Firmware)
To actually hear the sound quality difference you would need the Headphone Divine - because the DSP correction curve is specific ONLY for Headphone Divine!
B. Our Project
Our High-End DSP Wireless Headphone combines newest technologies with a modern, yet timeless design and still remains affordable for people like you and us.
1. Latest Technologies
a. DSP Technology
Our Headphone Divine uses the latest DSP technology from Dirac.
Why DSP correction is good for the sound:
- In all mechanical systems, there are physical constraints. As headphones are by nature a combination of electrics, mechanics and acoustics, it is impossible to avoid these constraints entirely. That’s why we use the help of a digital sound processor (DSP) – this technology enables us to move these physical limits even further and thus to optimize your sound experience.
Why DSP correction is cost-effective:
- Although the development of our DSP technology demanded time and money, the application on the products is rather inexpensive. We already have a DSP app for iOS in use, but would need to align this app with our new Headphone Divine.
If we reach USD 75.000 in this fundraising campaign, we will develop a similar app for Android.
Why we use DSP correction technology from Dirac:
- DSP is not just DSP! There is a broad range of quality when it comes to DSP algorithms. Dirac has spent many years to optimize their software algorithm. Thereby, it advanced to be the best algorithm provider on the market. That’s why many other famous brands also use their DSP technologies, inter alia:
- In any headphone, there will always exist colorations on the sound, regardless of its price and quality. Dirac HD Sound ® is an advanced patented software technology that analyzes and corrects these colorations. The result is a genuine improvement of the headphone characteristics and its sound.
- With our DSP app from Dirac, you can customize your own sound experience. No matter whether it’s noisy or silent around you; with the possibility to choose between our five different characters, you can always adjust the sound individually to your surroundings.
Of course, the DSP app is not necessary for the use of our Headphone Divine. You can just connect them to any source and enjoy your music!
b. Bluetooth 4.0
By adding the latest Bluetooth 4.0 technology, we give you the freedom to enjoy your music without any cables and even at long distances up to 10 meters. This means you can move around in your apartment or house while listening to your favorite music. For the best wireless quality, we also add aptX® audio coding that delivers CD-quality wirelessly over Bluetooth.
c. Near Field Communication (NFC)
Our Headphone Divine even supports NFC. This means your headphone can easily pair with another NFC-capable device by simply holding it close to that device for a few seconds.
2. Elaborate Construction
Our Headphone Divine is optimized in every detail of its construction. The base for a good headphone is the driver. It is the heart of the construction.
But also around the driver, there are a lot of details that must be in perfect balance in order to achieve the perfect sound. These other details contain the material and size of the ear-cup, ear-pads, damping and the overall size. One example for the issue of how to find the perfect balance is the ear cup: On the one hand, it should be very stable and completely sound-dead in order to avoid sound interference from vibrations; on the other hand, this stableness would cause supplementary weight and thus lowers the comfort.
Another example is the question of whether the headphones should be an open-back- or closed-back-construction. With an open-back-construction, more sound can escape out of the headphones and more ambient sound from the surroundings will intrude. That’s why we decided to construct the Headphone Divine in a closed-back style.
3. Modern and Timeless Design
Our Headphone Divine has a modern, yet timeless design. With regard to the materials, we decided to use a mix of metal and plastic in order to provide a high-class surface but still keep the weight low.
The use of too much metal would decrease the sound quality as it often leads to hard “ring” sounds.
4. Affordable Price
Even though our Headphone Divine is equipped with latest technology and modern design, it still remains affordable. Let’s take a closer look on the differences between high quality and low quality headphones:
Typically cheap headphones of low quality:
- Cheap headphones are usually produced in large quantities, using simple material, poor transducers and inadequate packaging. In this way, the producer is able to offer them for a very low price.
Typically expensive headphones of high quality:
- High end headphones are produced in small quantities, using expensive material, excellent drivers and exclusive packaging. The high price is not only the result of the expensive development and construction process, but also intends to give the buyer the feeling of having bought a high quality and costly product.
How to combine high-end headphones with an affordable price:
- Our Headphone Divine contains an outstanding driver. By using the latest DSP technology, we can improve that already crystal-clear sound even more. In order to keep our products affordable, we use simple, but sufficient packaging. In our view, this is the best compromise as the packaging does not influence the quality of the product.
With the help of Kickstarter and your funding, we could produce in larger quantities, thereby decrease the costs and thus lower the prices even more.
5. Overview: Competitive Advantages
- Cable-free with Bluetooth 4.0
- Bluetooth interface: HSP, HFP, A2DP, AVRCP
- If the battery is low, you can still use the headphones by connecting the by-pass cable
- Up to 10 meters connection range
- aptX® audio coding delivers CD-quality wirelessly over Bluetooth.
- NFC pairing - just touch the devices
- Optimized sound quality with DSP technology from Dirac
- Light and convenient to carry
- Strong construction to handle indoor and outdoor use
- Works as a head-set with built-in microphone
- 40mm Neodymium drivers
- Output level 97dB / 1kHz
- Frequency Response 15 – 32.000 Hz
- Impedance @ 1kHz: 59 ohms
- Multifunction key (volume, play, pause, answer)
- Large battery that can handle 14 hours of continuous playback at full volume.
- Ear-cushion and headband cushion in Korean leatherette
- Weight is 170 Grams, we have worked hard to reach a low weight, with long battery time and still have good rigid construction.
- International standard Micro USB cable
- Shows On/Off Status
- 3.5mm Passive Connection
- Volume Control Up/Down
- On/Off Switch
- Microphone for phone-call and sound recording
C. Who We Are
XTZ was founded in 2004 in Torup, Sweden, and is basically a cross-border network of engineers, technicians, manufacturers and producers – all having long experience in the hi-fi business. The founder of XTZ, Olle Eliasson, started to work in this business back in 1987 and kept hi-fi as a profession for over 27 years now.
XTZ cooperates with several companies in the US, in Europe and in Asia. Manufacturing takes place in both Sweden and Asia.
We are a relatively new and young brand, but our accumulated experience reaches far back in time. Therefore, we are able to combine the benefits of proven technologies with the innovating potential of new ones.
D. Why This Is of Interest for YOU!
As shown above, our Headphone Divine combines latest technology, elaborate construction and modern design. However, we need YOUR HELP to be able to produce it in larger quantities so that we can offer it for more affordable prices.
You will be able to listen to your favorite music without cables, in any surroundings and with your individually preferred sound character!
With your help, we can hopefully also develop an Android DSP app soon (See stretch goals!). This would enable many more users to get access to our DSP optimized sound.
To keep a long story short: We offer you to pledge for an excellent headphone with superb sound qualities at an affordable price. You do not only get a high-end sound experience, but also will profit from the versatile headphone that you can use in nearly all situations and surroundings. So be part of our dream and support us by pledging for the Headphone Divine or by donating!
Risks and challenges
Building a consumer electronic product is a complex and time-consuming task. However, with 10 years of experience in the hi-fi business, we know how do to this!
We already have the manufacturing experience with our Earphone-12 and Earphone Sports so we know that we can produce a high-quality headphone.
If the pilot-run goes well, there are usually no delays to be expected.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)