Drunken Cat Comics has been creating comics in Central Ohio for 18 years and this Kickstarter will help to put the finishing touches on some of our longer running endeavors. Once successfully funded, we will print the complete 13 issue collection of our original crime series, Ruffians. It will also help publish, Last Call, a collection of previously unpublished comics from our old website. Finally, we will be using the funds to print the first run of a brand new auto-bio comic by Brian, entitled Devil's Milk.
Ruffians is a crime comic about a blue bear hitman named Scar seeking revenge on the murderer of his best friend. This book brings together the entire gritty ordeal, from the discovery of Black Jack's body to the bullet-ridden final showdown.
The comic began life in 2006. Having just graduated from art school in Cincinnati, Brian found himself out west in San Diego. By day he worked at a camera shop, and by night, he wrote and drew the adventures of Scar. Originally conceived as an ongoing series, 10 years later and back in Columbus, Ohio Brian inked the last panel of the 13th and final issue of his crime drama comic. Now we bring all 13 issues together for Ruffians for your bookshelf, so you can read the entire saga of Scar's pursuit for justice.
What people have said:
- "Ruffians is the kind of book that has the potential to appeal to everyone from superhero-obsessed fan folk to jaded indie fans, from “cute critter” enthusiasts to teenagers who shop at Hot Topic." - Popmatters.com
- "...you can't for the life of you stop reading it!" - Small Press Newsroom
- "To say that Ruffians is a fun read is to demean it and over-simplify the concept of the series." - ThePullBox.com
- "I absolutely loved this comic." - TeamHellions.com
- "...ambitious, intriguing, smart, and features impressive art, crisp dialogue, solid characterization, and expert story construction." - FourColorApocalyspe.com
- "...really entertaining and has a little of everything from violence, witty dialogue and characters that feel unique and relatable." - ComicBastards.com
Originally conceived in 2012 as a means to draw more attention to the site, The Daily Shot was a single panel comic posted every day on the Drunken Cat Comics homepage. Over the years, the format and posting regularity would change until the site eventually relaunched in 2015 with a regular multi-panel comic format.
Last Call is the sequel to 2014's critically-acclaimed collection, Never Stop Drinking. It will collect the remaining unpublished comics from the site's original posting cycle, as well as some new strips, into one book.
This book will also include the out-of-print mini comic, The Life and Death of Mr. Burger, a comic that dares to ask the question "what happens when a good burger goes bad?" and caused one reviewer to state, "I didn't like the potty jokes or prison rape jokes or setting cats on fire. But I did like when the burger tied a girl on the train tracks while dressed as an old-timey villain."
Finally, Devil's Milk continues Brian's series about adulthood and all the fun and frustration that comes with it.
We last left our hero with the birth of his newborn daughter, Izzy, and this book will pick up where The Big Year (our last successful Kickstarter) left off. Brian's first two award winning auto-bio comics received rave reviews and this book will continue the story of his life as a parent, father and comic creator in Ohio.
Comics in this book will include tales about:
- living with a newborn
- the joys of sleep deprivation
- raising children
- pooping and dirty diapers
- living with cats
- the joys of communication
- Mother’s Day
- the discovery of hands
- rolling over
- first steps
- and all the other things that make life worth living
What people have said about Fear of Flying and The Big Year:
- "Fear of Flying needs to be put next to Blankets on the graphic novel shelf. Its a beautiful open examination of what we all feel and a much needed positive note at the end to help other believers carry on." - TeamHellions.com
- "I laughed, I cried, I felt the feels... The beautiful life experiences he illustrates, from the mundane to the miraculous made me a little more hopeful about the future and my place in it." - EvetteMakesThings.com
- "Canini, to his credit, manages to pinpoint and accentuate the joys and quiet triumphs of everyday life in a manner that feels unforced and maybe even a bit charming." - FourColorApocalyse.com
Risks and challenges
Honestly, there aren’t any. Everything for these graphic novels is complete (except for the cover designs which Brian is currently working on). We are currently working on formatting them for the printer. So, once the Kickstarter is over, the books will be printed and shipped (or emailed) to you. It’s that simple.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)