AfterEarth: The Fall. RPG - Create and Modify with us!
Contribute to this post-apocalyptic and fantasy game with limitless possibilities & rules that don't get in the way of playing.
The combined characters-
A Sigal- Smallest breed of Gargoyle:
Big Blue Die did an excellent writeup on us!
We sat down with Flames Rising and discussed the game.
Where is the money going?
Check the bottom of this page for a detailed explanation of how the pledge money will be spent in the "Why a Kickstarter" Section.
Specific Pledge Info:
Here are just a couple of the none-create pledge levels.
If you want;
- Just a PDF version of the book, the $1.00 pledge is for you
- Developer Forum access, the $13.00 pledge is for you
- Early access to everything in the game, the $35.00 pledge is for you
- Soundtrack, digital art, and the card deck, the $35.00 is also for you
- Exclusive soft-cover, the $37.00 pledge is for you
- Exclusive spiral-bound cover, the $42.00 pledge is for you
- Character Portrait, the $50.00 pledge is for you
- Exclusive hardcover, the $55.00 pledge is for you
Remember all pledges get the PDF version. You can also "Manage your Pledge" if you want very specific things from the AfterEarth world and we have included instructions at the bottom of the Kickstarter. A reward Breakdown is also included there.
AfterEarth is a fantasy + post-apocalyptic role-playing game that uses playing cards as the primary rules resolution tool. We will open that game up, before we publish, to those who pledge. Pledges will be able to modify, add to, and vote on almost all aspects of the game and see that input in a published product. NPC's, art, monsters, races, roles, weapons, and various other game aspects can be voted on or submitted at different pledge levels and will be incorporated into the massive amount of work already done. We will back those pledges and contributions with professional art, editing, printing, art books, shirts, developer diaries, 1 on 1 contact with the developers, and various other rewards. Most importantly if we succeed even pledges who give a single dollar will get the entire book! Every pledge level includes at least a PDF of the book. This is the completed heart and soul of a group of people who want to share it with others.
The project is already 400+ pages. Once we collected everyones contributions we will combine it with the incredible amount of work that has already been created. It will be a world book, player handbook, game-master book, and monster manual all in one.
"Cracks of voluminous gunfire reverberated through the street offering a strange musical drumbeat accompaniment to the occasional roar as the massive dragon bellowed its fury and tore the top of another ruined building from its supports. Somewhere behind him, Sven heard the Manosteen chanting a low magical mantra that mixed in with the musical cacophony of the dragon and its destruction. Metal screamed in protest, concrete exploded in sympathetic cracks, and ruined debris rained down into the street, as another building top succumbed to the dragon's rage.
Above, perched atop one of the ruined buildings, massive metallic talons shredding the buildings exterior to powder, Malanthrax raged. The dragon's glowing red eye, laced with metal framework and greenish gold rivets, searched out the people below, sliding back and forth in the burnished socket and flicking laser-light like a ribbon of oil streaked fire across the shadows of the street.
Sven looked up to the Dragon and stupidly made the one mistake, in the long list of mistakes, that you should never make with a dragon. He made eye contact.
Instantly the dragon's scream erupted like an ancient volcano spewing out hate, wickedness, and a yearning to kill those that had intruded into its territory. The scream tore down like a physical thing from the heights carrying with it a sense of confrontation and challenge that snaked and slithered into Sven's head. Sven saw the red laser-light, from the dragon's metallic eye, flash across his chest threateningly and after a moment it zeroed in on his sternum. Sven made his choice. He turned and ran just as he heard the dragon leap from the building and the bellows sound of its wings as they cut through the air echoed from above. Behind him, he heard one of the Dwarfs snarl a curse and a blasting hissing shot rang out as one of them let loose with their chemical expulsion weapons. Almost instantly the sound was cut short by a wet crunch and a muffled scream.
Dragons 1 dwarfs -1."
AfterEarth is a game of what if scenarios. What if the world almost came to an end, if the fabric of reality ripped apart and realities merged? How would man cope; how would those that arrived continue to live? What if creatures, places, and things from other realities merged with our own? Hundreds of years later, how would those who remain cope, cooperate and conflict with one another?
This is a world that includes: magic combined with gunplay, majestic or cyborgish dragons flying the skies next to the airships of the sinister Energy Cannibals, decrepit and monolithic cities rife with evil bordering wild-lands where the old west meets Mad Max meets Lord of the Rings. Treasures from before the fall of man entice hunters to the deepest depths, even as those that embrace this new world seek to dig out a life for themselves ignoring the past. You can be involved! Hero or villain, man or woman, human or one of more than 20 additional races, it is all up to you.
Pledge Backer Submission Highlights:
- Early access to rules, pledge related content, and all game related content even at $1.00? Check.
- Drive, alter, and be involved in major areas of the creative process.
- Direct the flow of the game world itself and how it evolves? Check.
- Developer diary with frequent updates? Check.
- Directly interact with the game designers and move the entire world forward.
- Drive the the innovative process to create an amazing RPG.
- Flex creative voting rights in various aspects of a gameworld.
- In book, fully fledged NPC creation from start to finish? Check.
- No hard work on the pledge's part! Just polls, surveys and you get to choose your input level.
- Creation and collaboration of minor and major locations, creatures, monsters, and races all rolled into the world? Check.
- Surveys where you can vote on the largest aspects of the gameworld's major events that actually impact the flow of the gameworld? Check.
- See every single bit of input you made within the pages of a published book? Check.
- The chance to create stories and actual events in the world and choose how they impact the overall story? Check.
- Voting on art assets for the cover, DM/GM screen and elsewhere? Check.
Our website http://afterearththefall.com/ will have detailed data and be your source for polls, creation, modification, art samples, everything you can ever want will be there. We are working to update it with as much as we can.
300 years after the known world fell, after mankind reached to the dimensions with science and avarice and tore them aside, the world slowly begins to recover. Those humans that remain have passed down what knowledge they could in the form of oral tradition, written books, and storytelling. From this knowledge humans have begun to adapt to the new world but they are no longer alone. Other races from the edges of fantasy, have brought their own beliefs and abilities to this land and the balance of power was hopelessly thrown asunder. Now humans must survive along or against an uncountable array of other alien races, to live to fight and fight to live and ultimately survive in what is now called the AfterEarth.
This isn't just a typical post-apocalyptic world. If you are fatigued with worlds, races, and places that all seem somewhat like one another, AfterEarth is for you. Always slightly familiar yet completely strange, it offers a world and rules that help the game-play move forward swiftly. Where magic wicks against the earth in nightly bale-fires and threatens to overtake the flash of a wanderers rifle fire as he defends himself from the magical and unearthly Unsouls.
Some races include:
- Malignant dark Dwarves, heady with racial pride and powerful anti-magic, take over plots of land and hold onto them with the tenacity of leeches on flesh.
- The willful Passerine, bird-men from another land, try desperately to return to their forest home, their despair felt by all.
- Dorgals, faithful and family bound, hunt and protect the lands, seeking companionship and safety.
- The enigmatic Manosteen wage war while always seeking the day of peace that will signal the time to drop arms.
- Nomadic and massive Trolls, the garbage collectors of the world, now armor themselves in various scrap and roam the desert in massive tribes protected by their mutated kin the Revengers.
- These races and more than 20 others, from the farthest reaches of fantasy and terror, seek out a living in a world changed forever. They explore the shattered earth that has been left over, reclaim the forgotten cities, roam the trackless deserts, wander the massive forests, and shelter under the angry sky.
Birthright means nothing.
Here a man digs the earth for pre-fall scrap while his sister rises to the lofty heights of leadership within the City-states. Even as their father begins to learn the arcane arts of ritual magic and its abusive and dangerous side. Armatists pass down the knowledge of weapon creation and wield mighty tools in their mysterious fire forges, while Reever Bone Doctors set broken legs as they learn from a old unearthed veterinary books and try to connect the dots.
Above all of this the cyborgish dragon Malanthrax fights the massive black dragon Terrisletix, locked in a war neither can explain. Carving out territory from abandoned drive-in-movie theaters, to old pre-fall industrial complexes, their battles level towns and flatten mountains. Even the mighty Troll Revengers bow their heads when the two dragons' shadows fall across the land.
Some of the 40+ roles players can play include:
- Ableman: Protectors of a haphazard peace, they ride the desert dispensing law as they can. Short lived and burning bright, these men and woman walk into danger every day with a smile and shrug.
- Armatists: Jacks of all trades, they forge weapons, travel the world, and pass on their knowledge (in particular arms) to those that wish to train. Fixing a gun in the field while under fire, or creating a masterwork weapon, these men and woman are much respected and more than a little feared.
- Loremasters trade in knowledge foul and fair, collecting old earth information and are limitless sources of rumors and mystery. Whether a treasure hoarding woman who counts every piece she has collected as she passes it, or a gentleman wanderer who simply memorizes the passages of all the Pre-Fall books he can get his hands on, these man and woman know more than they ever let on.
- Silt Riders: Riding their strange sand-ships across the dunes they trade within the bounders of the Wild-land. If you want to know where the closest Gargoyle incursion is, ask them, they can draw you a detailed map. Need supplies from hundreds of miles away, they can deliver, but expect to pay a hefty sum.
- Zietgiest: Priests of the sands bringing healing, faith, and retribution to wrongdoers at every turn. At least that is what many would have you believe. Equally as numerable are those who take from the weak, spread false words to gain rewards, and numerous other deeds. If you find the former you are in good hands and they will do what they can to help you; if you find the latter, you will die in the sun. Your bones bleached.
What lies waiting within the ruined sections of Railway Station 49? Why do people hear the spirits call for help within the wreckage and what awaits underneath the scrap there? Why does the disembodied voice call for "tickets" and then scream in rage?
Why did the inhabitants of the hanging City-state of Stalactrin evacuate the city in one night? Like a sleeping bat, it hangs underneath the massive rocky outcrops of a live volcano daring archaeologists and treasure hunters alike into its deadly shadows.
What lies in wait in the southern Break Neck mountains? An unearthly screaming can be heard for miles seemingly emanating from a massive black fortress that sits within a constant storm. Those that brave the winds are never heard from again.
What swims in the poison oceans? The massive nicked fins of sharks, sleek and black, crisscross the tides while baleful green eyes glow just beneath the waves.
Where did the Energy Cannibals come from? Are they another race, or a breed of man prepared for this new ruined world? How do they power their sand-skimmers, airships, and electricity generators on the life force of captured slaves?
The rules in AfterEarth are brutally simple. Utilizing a skill based system coupled with normal playing cards. This system is called Subterfuge and has some unique ideas only used in AfterEarth. The rules stress storytelling and speed in all things. This doesn't mean that complexity and strategy are ignored...NEVER! Whether you use science, magic, or a .45 caliber to get your point across, the rules allow for speedy balanced play. No more long, complex, or difficult to follow battles exist. Players have the control they need and the mystery they desire.
The AfterEarth Subterfuge roll-playing system is a unique and simple way to return the tension to role-playing games without removing the crunch that some players enjoy. In AfterEarth you will always feel that danger of life against death, always wonder if what you see, hear, or feel is true...or is it?
Game-player quotes from play-testing:
"You made a believer out of my group. Amazing! Thanks for the rules booklet and creation details. At the end of the game the same things kept being repeated by the players. Wow wow wow. These guys n gals are usually impossible to impress. Bravo."
Running a game-world can be tough work with tracking and attention to detail that is often overlooked. The Subterfuge system is unique in that it offers specific designs that fit within the system to make the life of the game-master easier plus flexibility to make it natural. These are not shortcuts. Tailor the game in hundreds of ways that work for you. Not locked in static rules but ways that make the most sense to you as the game master and to the role players themselves.
For example a single playing card can indicate up to 6 specific things such as locations, monsters, special moves, NPC's, abilities and more. This allows a game group to utilize the AfterEarth Subterfuge card system to do many things at once yet with no additional confusion. Everything is categorized and easily referenced throughout the book. Even better, you can tailor it so there is no memorization of what something means. It means what you want it to. The system itself was created to reflect the game-world in a visual way to easily identify what is going on anywhere at anytime. Flexible yet very balanced.
Various play-testing session comments-
"The use of the cards is jaw dropping easy. I was able to role-play and get engaged as a player instantly."
AfterEarth Subterfuge System
A bit more about this role-playing rules system. The primary rules system takes 2 stats and adds a card draw to their sum to hit a target difficulty. The system defines the card and references the world against those cards so that 1 card can perform a single action or tell a story all by itself. That is before the Subterfuge system is even used.
In the AfterEarth rules systems, actions can be planned as they happen or set up using any normal poker deck as you draw randomly. How you use the cards is up to you and puts you in the drivers seat for your character and the GM in the drivers seat of the NPC's. From a beginner to an old pro, the rules are simply what you see is what you get. The Subterfuge system adds a bit of mystery to the role-playing genre that has been missing for so long.
Detailed but easy to follow outlines show both game-master and player alike how much can be accomplished with the system. You can learn to play in around 5 minutes and begin using GM expansions(extra rules) in about 15 minutes.
Play-tester feedback card responses:
"Seriously you guys need to publish these rules. They augment the areas every player enjoys but they also completely fix or offer fixes for all those issues we are always complaining about."
The AfterEarth: The Fall, source-book currently includes:
- Hard Times: AfterEarth as written by Scum the Explorer. (over 32 pages detailing The Fall, the Rising, and the mysteries of AfterEarth.
- Rules To Live By: (over 65 pages dedicated to the rules, walk-through tutorials, tips, and sketches and pictures of the card system at work) Expansions to the rules and advice abound here.
- Player Guide Section: (Over 70 pages with color and B&W break-outs and illustrations, tips and tricks, and leveling information)
- Races and Roles Defined: (over 34 pages of solid history concerning race origins and how they interact in this new world)
- Player Races with sub-races: (over 60 pages of or about races. Humans, Elves, Dark Dwarves, Dorgals (Dog men), the flying race of Passerine, the enigmatic Manosteen, the Soulless, and many many more.)
- We of AfterEarth: (over 70 pages of character class information.)The Armatist Gunslinger, the brutal Reever Doctor, the mysterious Prince of Sands, the sturdy Spell-Breaker, and the deadly Sand-mask that fights the Energy Cannibals at every turn. These are just a few of the amazing and detailed character classes available.
- Politics and People: (over 60 pages of Political and geographical data) An entire section devoted to the game worlds politics, geography and ecology. Fully detailed with advice for role-playing these unique aspects of the gameworld.
- AfterEarth: Of Monsters and Mayham. (over 60 pages of monsters, creatures, and their assorted brethren)
- Story Seeds: Ties that Bind. (over 35 pages of story ideas) 200 story starters for the world. These starters are resources themselves to flesh out the AfterEarth world.
- The State of the World: (over 20 pages detailing the overall theme of the world and where it is headed)
- Scum's Tale: (over 33 pages) A black and white adventure at the end of the book. It promises adventure, discovery, and excitement!
- Over 400 pages and that doesn't include current art, miscellaneous adventures, characters and all the NPC's
- * All pledge input will be edited for errors.
The cards will be backed by the AfterEarth: The Fall logo, while every single card will have a different front face all based on the art from the book itself. High quality and high definition art will be displayed on the cards for use directly in the game.
At higher reward levels you will work with the game developers to choose your own artwork from the game for use on the card-deck.
Ace of Clubs concept and card draft(draft still has vintage footage lines which are removed from the final picture.
Draft Card Backs-
The AfterEarth: The Fall Art Portfolio Contains:
- Printed on high quality paper with an elegantly crafted soft-cover
- Forward written by the game developers directly to the recipients
- 50 full-color random Creature, Race & Class description pictures
- 10 black and white prints randomly selected by the team
- Unique cover art
- Explanations around the game design elements that went into the creation of the art and where it fits in AfterEarth
The AfterEarth: The Fall Digital Art Book Contains:
- Annotations by the game designers surrounding the creation of each piece of art
- Foreword written by the game developers
- Full color art throughout
- Pledge created art will also be annotated with the pledges name give on thee page. This is something you can brag about to your friends!
- The artists will be commissioned to discuss their creative process for their scopes of work on AfterEarth
- 40+ pages in easy to print PDF form
Some information concerning the voting and creation pledges.
Pledge Voting Rights: Lower level pledges get to vote on or assist in the creation of specific game elements. Votes will drive the creation of many unique places, people, and creatures within the gameworld. In addition most levels offer access to the website, developer diaries, mini sketches, thoughts, day to day work, and so on.
Higher Level Pledge Creating and Voting: Some pledge level rewards will allow for personal contact with one of the developers on a one on one level via email communications and otherwise to work on creation of specific elements of the game world.
Manage my Pledge
You can use "Manage my Pledge" and add the following amounts to any pledge level to get the following:
$10.00 for 35 random digital art pieces from the game world
$15.00 for the Digital Art Book Note: No shipping charge
$9.00 New Price! For the specialized AfterEarth card deck with beautiful AfterEarth art on every single card
$21.00 for an AfterEarth t-shirt (you choose the art)
$23.00 for the DM/GM Screen
$24.00 for the AfterEarth individualized card deck (you decide what art from the world you want, we offer a gallery of selections)
$35.00 for the soft cover normal version of the book
$44.00 for the physical art portfolio
$53.00 for the hard cover normal version of the book
$60.00 for a customized AfterEarth Long Sleeved Shirt/polo (you choose the art)
*For these items please add $5.00 for shipping and $10.00 for international shipping. Sorry!
Quick Reward breakdown
- Every pledge with a creation reward will get 2. That means if you were able to create 1 town, you will now be able to create 2. If you were making a monster you will make 2. This applies to your main pledge reward and not all those below it.
- 5 additional roles will be added to the game
- 3 additional races will be added to the game
- 10 additional monsters will be added to the game
- 10 Addition minor locations will be added to the game
- 5 additional major locations will be added to the game
- Free Miniature! We will commission a professional miniature of the Troll Revenger and every single pledge above $40.00 will receive one as a sign of support for free. This will be a metal miniature ready for painting.
- Free additional 45 page adventure for all pledges who received a print copy of the book. As with all other things, this adventure will incorporate various pledge NPC's, locations, races, and roles.
- 30 page Eastland In Depth section will be added into the book detailing, in depth, one of the mysterious extra areas that were not planned to be in the book
Why a Kickstarter?
The giant in the room right?
The KickStarter process allows us the time and resources to work with pledges and re-write vast sections of the book that the pledges vote on, or create, so that everything is seamless. It helps us create and print the player cards, the art books, hire the artists for professional art, professional editing, and complete the NPC portraits, weapons, races, and creatures that pledge givers get to put in the book as rewards. This will also cover the additional costs for the printed drafts, tee-shirts, and all other creation costs for the rewards.
Our website http://www.afterearththefall.com/
We are also kicking it forward!
Thanks for taking the time to read about this project.h1h1
Risks and challenges
Some of the risks are that we are met with very large entries for contribution, broken communication with backers concerning their contributions, the book becomes too large, or artists back out of the work.
How are we qualified to overcome those risks? For contribution tracking and communication we use a specific database, the same system we used to suggest our own entries for the game, that collects information and allows for tagging data, referencing, and attributing similarities. This allows us to mold any contributions so that they fit perfectly into the game without losing the special bits and the flavor that pledge givers created. It also allows us to mark any part of the project as completed, working, needing feedback, and so forth, for very easy task managing and communication with backers. Communication will be one of the key things for this project to succeed.
Even if we were met with 150+ major contributions such as races, roles, and locations. That would be less than 25% of the number we dealt with in the last 6 months inside the team itself. Even if the Kickstarter was an unbelievable success it would still be less than what we have created, modified, and fit into the game, on our own and in an even shorter time-frame.
Two of our members have 9+ years in crowd-contribution publishing experience and know the crowd sourcing game inside and out and how to get the information they need from people to make sure that we, as a team, can deliver a solid product in a time-line we created.
Many RPG's are around 300-350 pages for a corebook. We don't feel we will be that much larger at around 400. That is also an estimate and professional editing may cut that down even more. As we said in the Kickstarter we may also split the book into 2 smaller books with everything that makes up a core book in the 1st, and the 2nd would be a world book. At no extra cost. We already have that defined cutting point in mind.
We have created a backlog of artists with 2 for every current artist on the project. All of the artists have submitted test works to make sure that they can keep the flow and art direction of the book despite absences or artists changing roles. We are also pretty proud of the fact that since starting this KickStarter we have had 11 non solicited requests from artists to work on the project simply due to what they have seen here. We feel that is a great vote of confidence concerning the project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)