A film for the rest of us. The ones who pay to play, sacrifice themselves for the true love of the game. Real people, real stories.
"Game of Passion: A Hockey Documentary" as imagined by filmmaker Chris Aylward.
What is "Game of Passion"?
From the love of the sport, Game of Passion: A Hockey Documentary is a full-feature film documenting the lives of real, everyday people who "eat, sleep, and breathe hockey" but don't make millions doing so.
The vision for this film comes from Chris Aylward, an independent filmmaker, who happens to be a big hockey fan, and goalie. The film tells the true stories of various individuals, families, team reps, league commissioners, to owners of local clubs.
Most hockey fans, especially ones of the NHL, will have probably watched their fair share of films on hockey. Why was the movie Slap Shot so popular and imbedded within the hockey culture? It's simple, because we can relate. It showed a side of hockey that most can relate to, without all the glory and fluff that makes being a professional seem more fictional for most of us. My film seeks to give the average hockey player and fan (who ultimately pays to play or watch in most cases), the light, the mic, and the chance to share true hockey stories we can all relate to.
It's hockey, at it's true roots.
I have two goals:
1. To entertain fans of hockey, giving them something more close to home to relate to.
2. To showcase what hockey is truly like, for those who are not fully in the game. How it's hard to run a team, or the parents that have to wake up at crazy hours to take their children in the cold, to a cold arena. I seek to show the dedication that everyday folks have. It's that dedication and interest in the sport, that gives NHL players the chance to make a living off the rest of us.
"Game of Passion" is a labor of love, filmed and produced by a fan, for fans of the game. I think Kickstarter provides the perfect pathway for this film to get made since fans have the power to become part of what they want to see.
WHAT IS THE MONEY FOR?
I am pulling all my resources, calling in favors, and dedicating tons of time and sweat to produce a film with not only production value, but an amazing story. I seek to produce something of value that far exceeds the budget. I am seeking donations because even with these contributions, there are certain practical costs that can't be avoided:
1. Tools of the trade: While I have personally spent a lot of my hard-earned dollars on gear, there are still a few things I need to obtain to really take this film to the next level. As much as I'm focused on content, and sharing a story that I believe others would be very interested in, I also seek to provide the best looking product possible from an independent filmmaker, such as myself.
2. Rink Rentals: I have the ability to shoot on a few pads of ice at local rinks. As anyone would know, rink time isn't cheap, and I'm lucky to have some teams that want to be involved, but I need to get the ice. As for the ball hockey aspect of the film, I've been able to arrange use of local facilities free of charge. I'm doing my best to work out deals, and make any arrangements to keep my cost of production down.
3. Rig Fabrication: I am working on constructing custom helmets and various camera rigs for players to wear in the heat of battle. This will add not only production value, but also it will give the viewer some very unique angles. Instead of spending literally tens of thousands of dollars on rigs, I'm working with a friend on some cheaper "home brew" methods. This will produce the same end results for the film, yet reduce costs greatly. I'm not worried about the looks I'll get while filming, it's the final product that counts. :)
4. Miscellaneous Production Costs: This includes standard production costs including equipment rental, whatever crew I can't get for free, insurance, crew meals, props, expendables. Routinely I'm out filming as a "one man film crew". Heck, even documentary filmmakers like Michael Moore and Morgan Spurlock had camera people. I do 95% of things myself from shooting to editing, but from time to time, I'll need the assistance of others.
All of your contributions will go towards production and value that you can see on screen. I'm really hopeful that you'll watch the film when it releases, and that you'll be proud that you were a part of helping to make it become a reality. Hey, maybe I'll get lucky and have someone like Ron Maclean or Don Cherry watch it some day. I think it would be great to hear about my film on Coach's Corner. Maybe even land on George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight. Hey, you never know! I do plan on submitting this film into various film festivals.
WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?
1. DONATE: Whatever you can. I greatly appreciate it. Your donations will help breathe life into this project. For your donations I have some pretty fantastic rewards. Check them out on the column to your right. I'm not someone who takes things lightly, people will know that YOU helped make this happen.
Please note that Kickstarter allows campaigns to surpass their goal. While reaching my goal would be more than fantastic, surpassing it would be simply amazing. You can contribute during the length of my campaign, even if the goal is met. Any additional donations I receive will be put to great use. It will go towards additional setups and production value you can see on screen.
2. SHARE THE CAMPAIGN: I'm working right now to spread the word, and would love the help! Please spread the word! Sharing doesn't cost a thing and it's a great way to help. By sharing my campaign with your friends via email, social media, and good ol' word of mouth, you're contributing to this film getting made. Please share the links to the videos, join the facebook page, spread our hashtags:
3. FOLLOW: Please Follow and Share the film on social media and stay tuned to Kicksarter for updates on the campaign as it progresses.
Thank you so much in advance! - Chris
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
As soon as the film is financed, I'll be working on obtaining rink times for filming, travelling to locations for shooting, picking up needed components required to complete the film in the look I'm after. Securing shooting locations is the hardest part of my production as I have to obtain rights by land or property owners. Given that my film is based around hockey, there are obvious scenes where the outdoors will play a part, and will require little to no work on permission.
Arranging time to film people for interviews, games, etc. for story segments presents a challenge time-wise. Production is already underway out of pocket, regardless of the Kickstarter campaign. I wouldn't ask for your contributions if I wasn't doing the same. We're making this, together. If there are any problems, delays, or changes of schedule I personally promise to stay in communication, and inform contributors of the film's progress.
Tools of the trade will also be used for future films, such as another documentary I will be working on entitled "Weight for Me". The money raised here will go a long way.
Thanks for the question Brian. Here are a few ways you can share the project. First and foremost, you'll notice under the video at the top of the project, that you can share with both Facebook, and Twitter.
You'll also notice the <> Embed link. Clicking that will pop up some tools for you to use as your best resource. From there you can place it directly on your personal website, sized to your needs. You'll also be able to access the short URL for the project. It's very handy!
I hope that helps answer your question! You can always follow me on twitter, or follow the Facebook page for the film (links just above the Risks and Challenges section). From there, please retweet, share links I post, and be sure to let everyone you know that you're backing an independent film!
Hey Mark, thanks for asking that!
Currently, I do have an image that can be used, and more to come! Simply click on the link below, it'll give you the best, largest image.
Again, thanks for asking!
seconds to go
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
My Sincere thanks and gratitude! Your name will be listed on the Facebook page under “Supporting Sponsors” in the Kickstarter Contributions section. **Your name will appear in the ending credits under the "Special Thanks To" section.** Invite to a special pre-launch screening.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
In addition to the pledge rewards from the level prior to this one, you'll also receive a digital download of the film when released as a "Thank You!".Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
In addition to the pledge rewards from all the levels prior to this one, you'll also receive a digital download of the film with behind the scenes footage and interviews.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $40 or moreYou selected
In addition to the pledge rewards from all the levels prior to this one, you'll also receive a digital download of the film with behind the scenes footage and interviews that will be available before the official release. Plus, a digital copy of preliminary storyboards.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
Send me your personal hockey clip and I'll use it within the film! Crediting your name/team/club/etc during the clip, and added to the final credits. Clips would need to be provided to me no later than February 31st, 2014. However, sooner is better. You'll also get the film on DVD!Estimated delivery:Add $10 CAD to ship outside Canada
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
In addition to the pledge rewards from all the levels prior to this one, you'll also receive a hard copy of the preliminary storyboards, t-shirt from the film, signed and addressed personally to you. (You have options to have this addressed to someone else, or to not have the shirt signed at all)Estimated delivery:Add $10 CAD to ship outside Canada
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
In addition to the pledge rewards from all the levels prior to this one, you'll also receive a signed hard copy of the script for the film!Estimated delivery:Add $10 CAD to ship outside Canada
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
In addition to the pledge rewards from all the levels prior to this one, you'll also receive: For the first 20 pledges of 500 or more: **Your name will appear in the ending credits under the heading "Associate Producers**Estimated delivery:Add $10 CAD to ship outside Canada
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
In addition to the pledge rewards from all the levels prior to this one, you'll also receive: Anyone pledging $1000 or more will be able to appear in the film as an extra. Guaranteed to make the final cut, you'll be proud to know that not only did you support my project, but you're seen in it! (Must be filmed no later than April, 2014 for inclusion into the film) *You are responsible for all expenses related to travel, accommodations, food, etc. If applicable.*Estimated delivery:Add $10 CAD to ship outside Canada
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
In addition to the pledge rewards from all the levels prior to this one, you'll also receive: You (or someone you choose in lieu) will be interviewed and filmed for the documentary. You'll have the chance to share your story and become part of the movie in the biggest way possible. This includes footage of your family, kids, parents, friends etc. You will be interviewed for the film, and scene footage of your friends and/or family will be shot for story telling and transitional needs. (Must be filmed no later than April, 2014 for inclusion into the film). *You are responsible for all expenses related to travel, accommodations, food, etc. If applicable.*Estimated delivery:Add $10 CAD to ship outside Canada
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
In addition to the pledge rewards from all the levels prior to this one, you'll also receive a custom-made hockey jersey, personalized with your name and number (your choosing), signed and thanked personally by me. The jersey will be professionally framed, and engraved with the film name and date. Also included will be a thank you letter to you personally.Estimated delivery:Add $50 CAD to ship outside Canada
- (30 days)