We've re-imagined modern green architecture.
By integrating a natural ecosystem with modern engineering principles and cutting-edge technologies, we created the Biodome:
Why are we building the Biodome?
We care about building a brighter future. This means creating a place to:
- Showcase and develop cutting-edge sustainable technology.
- Improve mental health and physical well-being.
- Engage with and learn about exotic flora and fauna.
- Gather and talk with friends, classmates, and neighbors.
Let's inspire people to live more satisfying, creative, and sustainable lifestyles.
So... What is the Biodome?
It's the result of years of iterative design, with the goal of creating the most advanced tropical greenhouse experience to deeply engage individuals and communities.
Imagine a tropical oasis available year-round, protected by a geodesic dome.
As a nature-enriched learning center, the Biodome will offer entertainment, meeting spaces, educational programs, and social connection to those searching for a place to relax and learn.
We're creating an incubator for social change by connecting people with nature.
Key Interior Design Features
- 150' across and 75’ tall with a completely column-free interior for a natural outdoor feel.
- 14' waterfall cascading into a stream and pond, sparkling and full of life.
- Performance area with accompanying hillside seating.
- Open garden areas with tables and chairs dispersed throughout.
- Multiple internal buildings including a study lounge and conference room for visitors.
- A fully-developed tree canopy with the understory and layering of a real forest.
- Scenic overlooks provide visitors a place to take in the sights and sounds.
- Full interior WiFi coverage maximizes work space productivity.
Sustainable Engineering Components
- Transparent glass solar panels provide power and summer shading.
- Bio-evaporative cooling and solar thermal absorption mass stabilizes temperature.
- Insulated open concrete foundation passively balances pH and Na+.
- Low-energy climate control system is driven by natural temperature convection.
- Grey water processing for aquatic system recharge balances evaporation.
- Durable glass and aluminum structure with corrosion-free stainless steel fasteners increases facility lifetime.
Creating a World-Class Research Facility
To ensure a lasting impact and economic self-reliance, the Biodome will open itself to the world as a unique place to:
- Showcase sustainable technology where the impacts can be experienced firsthand.
- Provide companies a platform to develop and test their green technology.
- Understand mental health's connection to the inputs of the natural world.
- Investigate how social interactions open up in the comfort and security of nature.
We move fast, with your help, this is where we're heading!
First Goal: $15,000
So far we've self-funded our project, but now we need the Kickstarter community to help!
Specifically, the funds will go towards the following:
- An architectural review (landscaping and interior design).
- An engineering feasibility study.
- Organizing documentation for final site approval.
- Starting financial negotiations with contractors.
- Cover marketing costs for conversations to the global community.
Here's a Breakdown:
$25,000 - All backers will receive a signed Biodome 18"x24"poster:
Limited Run for our Kickstarter Backers
In a world of screens and walls, we've unknowingly removed nature's influence from our lives.
Recent scientific studies have proven the benefits of being in nature:
- After only five minutes immersed in a living green environment, heart rate and muscle tension decrease. Abstract or short video
- Creativity, mental acuity, and cognitive function test higher in nature walk subjects. Even the piney scents of forest air boost immune system function. for depression, cognitive function, immune function
- Dramatic mental and physical health improvements have been documented, while social integration and connection have been seen to grow. large 2015 literature review, Where community grows?
Thank you from our entire team, we appreciate your support!
We are a student-led, student-driven group made up of some of the best engineers, biologists, psychologists, and marketing strategists Michigan State University has to offer.
We're trailblazers at heart, and we hope to inspire the construction of similar structures at universities and in cities across the country.
We believe in the Biodome and its mission to emphasize the importance of interacting with nature while showcasing the sustainable and green technology the facility will use.
Connect with us!
- Website: www.sgpbiodome.com
- Instagram: studentgreenhouseproject
- Twitter: @MSUsgp
- Facebook: sgpmsu
- LinkedIn: StudentGreenhouseProject
Special thanks to our supporters:
Risks and challenges
The community is positive and ready for us, but we are early in the funding process, and this has prevented final project approval.
However, we are hopeful that after a successful Kickstarter we will be able to demonstrate financial viability, validating our well-developed engineering design, and gain all the necessary construction approvals. (see timeline*)
*In the future, the specific construction time frame is subject to the University Approval process tempo.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)