Share this project

Done

Share this project

Done
A Deitch Miscellany collects artwork spanning Kim Deitch's career, including everything from sketches to large-format color drawings.
86 backers pledged $8,965 to help bring this project to life.

Update #11: New Tools

Posted by Chance Press (Creator)
2 likes

Hi everyone - I wanted to update you again with the progress of the book, since it's been over a month since my last update. Things are going well here... a few notes up front:

1) REWARDS! If you're in the $5 or $25 tier, you should have your reward by now (unless you're the one person who sent back your survey after the initial wave of responses, in which case your package will go out this week). Ditto if you're in the $200 tier (unless you're the one person who ordered the print AND a copy of the book, in which case I thank you for waiting until the book is done to receive your rewards). If you're in the $15 or $75 tier, your prints are on their way to Kim to be signed, and I will ship them out in late July. This is about a month after I originally hoped to send them, so I'm sorry about the delay. However, the new version I made after scrapping the original print run is much better, so hopefully it's worth the wait. If you're in the $50 tier, you should have your print in late July as well - there was a problem with the plate, so I had to resubmit the artwork and have the plate remade, which pushed that one back a little as well. 

2) Trade edition progress: We're getting really close here. All the printing is done, and my faithful production assistant Jackie has been a major, MAJOR help with the assembly. Soon I'll be ready to start sewing these, and for now (at least), it looks like these will ship on time in September.

3) Medium Fancy edition progress: Lots of work here too. I'm working on assembling the cases this week - and I have the outer cloth edge done on all the boards. I still need to do some more printing on these, too, but I hope to have them done in September as well. We'll see...

 4) Deluxe edition progress: I took a break from the deluxe edition to focus on the other two for a while... I needed to clear my head after dealing with the whole issue of the prints turning yellow. Then, when I got back to work, I bought some of the new adhesive that I mentioned in my last post (Bienfang Ragmount, in case you forgot), and I realized that it is very difficult to work with if you're using a small iron. It's really designed to be used with a dry mount laminating press, and I decided that I should just buy one of those, then. They cost quite a bit when new, but I lucked out and found one on Craigslist for $150 in great condition, so I got in my car the next day and drove an hour or so to Cotati, CA to pick it up. I'm now using Ragmount to line the backs of the prints with acid-free rag paper, which I will then adhere to the anchor sheets in the triptych using Gudy film. It's made the assembly process way more labor intensive, but I think the book will be better for it. I THINK - I made up a sample triptych today and will leave it for a month or so to see if it turns yellow or not. If it doesn't work out, I have plan C I could fall back on, but I kind of have my heart set on this method, so I really hope it all works out.

Here's the drymount press along with strips of adhesive and strips of liner paper.
Here's the drymount press along with strips of adhesive and strips of liner paper.

 

The whole thing gets wrapped in silicone release paper (this protects the print and the surfaces of the press) and then goes into the press for 30 seconds. Due to the size, I have to heat these sheets in sections.
The whole thing gets wrapped in silicone release paper (this protects the print and the surfaces of the press) and then goes into the press for 30 seconds. Due to the size, I have to heat these sheets in sections.

So, hopefully I'm on the right track now. I don't think it's realistic to expect these books to be done in September, unfortunately. At this point, November is a pretty safe expectation.

I'm continuing to work on other aspects of the book alongside all this triptych business, though. I've applied the bookcloth to the edges of the boards and will be working on the cases this week. You can see the massive scale of this book in this photo, where I have all the boards leaning up against one of my bookshelves.

 I've also been working on the part of the book that displays the other large-format prints, and it looks pretty cool as well. Here's a photo of it open to the center spread - you can see that it almost covers my entire work table.

 Okay, that's all for now... Hopefully by my next update in another month or so, I'll have the first couple finished copies of the trade edition! Fingers crossed...

Carol Es and Bruce Simon like this update.

Comments

Only backers can post comments. Log In
    1. Sharon Bowers on

      Bravo for making me a truly special book. Though my pledge was tiny, you delivered a beautifully printed and handcrafted little chapbook. Wonderful work!